Quick question

PolarisTR

Arachnopeon
IMG_1968.JPG IMG_1967.JPG My B smithi (or I guess I just start saying B hamorii) has been really active today.

She's spent the day burrowing out the corners of her enclosure, but there isn't really enough substrate to make a burrow. (I assume that's ok but let me know if it's not)

Now she's pushing against the lid and trying to lift it. Nothing has changed other than a 5 Celsius temp drop from last week's UK heatwave (Was 32 for two days and is now 25)

The water bowl is filled and the substrate is bone dry as always.

Am I worrying or is there anything I should do?

Note she molted two weeks ago after a 6 month premolt (yes I know that's ridiculously long, I made a thread about it)

Thanks for everyone's help, and sorry if lack for any incompetence!

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
View attachment 244153 View attachment 244152 My B smithi (or I guess I just start saying B hamorii) has been really active today.

She's spent the day burrowing out the corners of her enclosure, but there isn't really enough substrate to make a burrow. (I assume that's ok but let me know if it's not)

Now she's pushing against the lid and trying to lift it. Nothing has changed other than a 5 Celsius temp drop from last week's UK heatwave (Was 32 for two days and is now 25)

The water bowl is filled and the substrate is bone dry as always.

Am I worrying or is there anything I should do?

Note she molted two weeks ago after a 6 month premolt (yes I know that's ridiculously long, I made a thread about it)

Thanks for everyone's help, and sorry if lack for any incompetence!
I'm not super knowledgeable on B. smithi/hamorii, but I would think that if she seems to want to burrow, I'd add enough substrate to let her burrow. As for the temp drop, it could be a bit of a shock to her system if it was a change like that overnight, but considering it's still a reasonable temperature, I wouldn't think it's too much of a problem. Another thing that I personally might change (but I don't have any Brachypelmas, so I could very easily be wrong), is the fact that the substrate looks very loose. Dry is good for the species, but I've always been led to believe that tarantulas prefer solid footing (as most animals do), so it could be so loose that she doesn't feel comfortable walking on it and is thus climbing the walls and trying to get out. If it was any of my tarantulas doing that, I would add enough substrate to allow it to burrow, and compact the substrate enough that 1) it actually was capable of forming a solid burrow, and 2) it wasn't walking on loose terrain that crumbles under it's feet. Again, I need to mention I don't own any Brachypelmas so I don't have first-hand experience, but those are just the steps I would take. Maybe someone with proper experience can either make an idiot out of me and inform you properly, or confirm my thoughts and hopefully go a step further with it to ensure you're doing everything right. Good luck either way

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
This was something I had concerns over in the past. It was very loose putting it in. Thanks for confirming!!!!!
Not a problem. While I'm not as knowledgeable as some of the other great people on here, I'm always happy to help in any way I can :)

PolarisTR

Arachnopeon
Not a problem. While I'm not as knowledgeable as some of the other great people on here, I'm always happy to help in any way I can :)
Just a side question, how DO you make substrate both bone dry and tightly packed? Is there any trick to it? I normally spread it all out on a trash bag to dry out

Thanks again for solving the problem :)

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
You have to press down the substrate yourself to make it tight -- like tamping espresso grounds.
If you have a small board or book -- you could use that... or the old-fashioned way... press with your hands.

(Drying is completely separate process)

[edited to add: don't press down so tightly you break your enclosure though!!!!]

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Just a side question, how DO you make substrate both bone dry and tightly packed? Is there any trick to it? I normally spread it all out on a trash bag to dry out

I would try just pressing it down as much as possible, adding substrate as needed, and repeating those two steps until you've got a reasonable amount of substrate in there. As long as the substrate is packed enough that she can walk on it and dig properly, she should be able to reinforce any burrows with webbing to prevent a collapse, no matter how dry it is. You provide the solid ground (maybe even the start of a burrow), and she should be able to take care of the rest

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron

Pack it while its slightly damp. Either let it dry before you put the t back in (could take a while) or just put the T in aaaand it'll be fine while it dries out. High ventilation and turning the temps up a little bit will help it dry faster.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
B. hamorii.jpg
My hamorii enclosure. Plain topsoil, the "true" and natural substrate tarantulas seek. "Bone dry", nah! Look at the darker area where she stays most of the time, slightly damp. This gal never burrowed, even as 1/2"+ sling, although some do, its entirely their choice. ;)
The wondering about its doing is more than likely natural. What else do they have to do in captivity 24/7?
As long as its eating, has a water supply and a hide they're good. Very tolerant to the temperature swings you've been having. Below 68°F for more than a few hours, I'd raise the room temperature, but thats just me. :rolleyes:
Overall, your T is "normal".

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Yes the only thing I would change is the loose substrate, tamp it down as advised, they do like solid ground to walk on, once that's done I'm sure it will stay on the substrate, both my B. hamorii never burrowed, but their all different, if it's burrowing provide enough sub for it to do so, it won't be in the burrow for long, they like to be quite active during daylight hours IME.

PolarisTR

Arachnopeon
IMG_1990.JPG Thanks all, I've now got the extra substrate drying and I will compress and rehouse when ready. (Should be a few days)

I did spot the t doing a rather odd thing today - she was suspended like this for about 3 minutes and then carried on like nothing happened.

Again from other posts I've read of T's repeatedly falling backwards I assume nothing is wrong, but let me know if anything is awry.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
View attachment 244437 Thanks all, I've now got the extra substrate drying and I will compress and rehouse when ready. (Should be a few days)

I did spot the t doing a rather odd thing today - she was suspended like this for about 3 minutes and then carried on like nothing happened.

Again from other posts I've read of T's repeatedly falling backwards I assume nothing is wrong, but let me know if anything is awry.
I've never seen any of my Ts doing that, but that doesn't necessarily mean something's wrong. I would think as long as she went back to normal afterwards, she should be fine. Maybe she lost her grip, fell the tiny distance to the substrate, got confused because of the fall and loose sunbstrate, and then sat there for a few minutes until she decided it was safe. Tarantulas are weird. Lol

PolarisTR

Arachnopeon
IMG_2011.PNG
Took her out, put new sub in and compressed to hell, now she's back in.

It's not as dry as I would have liked it but it will hopefully dry out shortly.

Will update if she takes to it

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Even with good packed substrate you're going to see it climb. Both of mine do so regularly especially when the temps in the room goes up during the day. Just set up the enclosure to minimize fall problems and let it do it's thing.

Good luck.

PolarisTR

Arachnopeon
IMG_2262.JPG

So a few weeks on with her new substrate, and she's crazier than ever.

Won't stop pacing her enclosure, constantly trying to get out by pushing herself against the lid, burrowing, then giving up. Flipping her water bowl. Hanging upside down. And today, trying to eat her way out of her air hole (above picture)

Sub is dry, was compressed and everything seems ok. I'm guessing it's due to the very high humidity the uk is having right now but it's quite Alarming seeing her like this. I lifted her lid and she went into a wild kicking storm (nothing new for a B. Hamorii)

My Sub adult G pulchra is doing similar things, she's crawling to the roof and having a nibble, which reminds me I need to replace her mesh plastic with plexiglass before I wake up with her fat butt rubbing against my forehead >.>

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
View attachment 245653

So a few weeks on with her new substrate, and she's crazier than ever.

Won't stop pacing her enclosure, constantly trying to get out by pushing herself against the lid, burrowing, then giving up. Flipping her water bowl. Hanging upside down. And today, trying to eat her way out of her air hole (above picture)

Sub is dry, was compressed and everything seems ok. I'm guessing it's due to the very high humidity the uk is having right now but it's quite Alarming seeing her like this. I lifted her lid and she went into a wild kicking storm (nothing new for a B. Hamorii)

My Sub adult G pulchra is doing similar things, she's crawling to the roof and having a nibble, which reminds me I need to replace her mesh plastic with plexiglass before I wake up with her fat butt rubbing against my forehead >.>
If your pulchra is doing the same thing, I'm inclined to think the humidity is the culprit. I'm not seeing anything wrong with the enclosure set up. But obviously if anyone sees anything I'm not, speak up. I do often hear of people's tarantulas getting antsy when there's a noticeable change in humidity or temperature, so that's my best guess. Couldn't really offer much advice on it though, aside from maybe either getting a dehumidifier for your T room, or putting them somewhere that's less humid