Quick question

cold blood

Staff member
That will work in a larger condiment cup (which is much smaller than a 16oz deli).

cold blood

Staff member
I'm thinking my game plan is to get coconut bark and a deli container (like the ones they put condiments in right?) on payday and move her then. Until then I can poke some more side holes (there are a bunch they're just difficult to see). Does this sound good?
Wait, you're waiting for payday to get what is essentially a free condiment cup? Heck I'd just go in the woods and scoop a tablespoon of soil....done...total cost...a trip to a wooded area and a stop on the way home for some fries.;)

But yes, your plans sound good:)

Beastie

Arachnoknight
Wait, you're waiting for payday to get what is essentially a free condiment cup? Heck I'd just go in the woods and scoop a tablespoon of soil....done...total cost...a trip to a wooded area and a stop on the way home for some fries.;)

But yes, your plans sound good:)
Well no I was waiting until payday to get the substrate. I'm guessing using dirt from and old area outside could likely introduce parasites, disease, ect. I also live 30 minutes from anywhere that I could get a deli cup (small town, middle of nowhere, ya know?) and I'm not sure if I'll have any opportunity to go into town before then.

cold blood

Staff member
Well no I was waiting until payday to get the substrate. I'm guessing using dirt from and old area outside could likely introduce parasites, disease, ect.
Not really a worry to be honest...in fact having life already in the soil will prevent other pests from exploding...natural balance. You just have to collect it from an area that's natural, you don't want to pull it from a yard where there may be pesticides or any of the many things people typically coat their lawns in.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
Also this is what I'm planning to use for housing, I'm planning on sticking a piece of card stock in the middle so it will only be half this size for now (it's about 4"x4") and then when she outgrows it I will just remove the card stock and she can have the rest of the container. I want to make sure this sounds like a good plan to someone other than myself before I do anything.

Attachments

Trenor

Arachnoprince
This will work as a substrate correct?
That looks like coco fiber so it should be fine.
Also this is what I'm planning to use for housing, I'm planning on sticking a piece of card stock in the middle so it will only be half this size for now (it's about 4"x4") and then when she outgrows it I will just remove the card stock and she can have the rest of the container. I want to make sure this sounds like a good plan to someone other than myself before I do anything.
I would not worry about the card stock just let her have the whole thing IMO.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
That looks like coco fiber so it should be fine.
It's a combination if you look on the front of the package it says what's in it.
I would not worry about the card stock just let her have the whole thing IMO.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
Good news, our baby finally ate! I had to abandon trying prekilled crickets because she wouldn't go near them and live/intact crickets scared her. I incapacitated one by removing all but one leg and she took it almost right away. She seems content now, we also moved her to a room with a bit less going on. Thanks for all your help!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Good news, our baby finally ate! I had to abandon trying prekilled crickets because she wouldn't go near them and live/intact crickets scared her. I incapacitated one by removing all but one leg and she took it almost right away. She seems content now, we also moved her to a room with a bit less going on. Thanks for all your help!
Awesome, glad to hear it's going well. Keep us informed on how things go. :)

Beastie

Arachnoknight
She's so cute! Thought I would share a picture of the lil fatty eating another cricket, glad her appetite is back, her abdomen is looking pretty big so I wouldn't be surprised if she goes into molt soon.

Attachments

Sana

Arachnoprince
It's amazing how quickly one can become attached to a tiny eight legged monster that gives half the world's population nightmares.