Quick question

cold blood

Staff member
Okay, we are home from our trip. I gave a cricket to our girl yesterday and ended up having to remove some legs and put it in a shallow water bottle cap because it kept digging down into the substrate and I'm worried she won't eat it and it will end up left in there because we don't see it hiding. She still hasn't eaten it (I gave it to her yesterday evening). She still seems pretty plump but I'm worried because she hasn't eaten since we put her on this substrate. It gets humid in there in the morning but dries out a bit during the day, I'm concerned it could be too humid with the "water dish" in there. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Am I over thinking? Should I give her a few days? She never ate the killed cricket we left behind either, just webbed over the top of the bottle cap they were in.
Its plump, you don't need to be worried about it eating...it may not need another meal until after molting, which could be many months away.

Leave the water dish, you're over-thinking humidity...which is why I always urge people to ignore humidity and focus on having a water dish and if applicable, keeping the sub or part of the sub damp.

cold blood

Staff member
Hey!!! I have the same hygrometer/thermometer! Haven't had to change the batteries in over 4 years.
And you never will. I have a comb I don't need batteries for either, its probably just as accurate at measuring humidity...hehe.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
And you never will. I have a comb I don't need batteries for either, its probably just as accurate at measuring humidity...hehe.
Oh come on, it's not that bad. It's only a couple of points off.

scott308

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey, the Miami Dolphins are often called "The Fish" so there is precedent. And I too thought it was funnier that way. ;)

Beastie

Arachnoknight
Its plump, you don't need to be worried about it eating...it may not need another meal until after molting, which could be many months away.

Leave the water dish, you're over-thinking humidity...which is why I always urge people to ignore humidity and focus on having a water dish and if applicable, keeping the sub or part of the sub damp.
It was very humid, there was condensation. I put a smaller cap in that currently has a killed cricket in there I will use it when I remove the cricket.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
Is it normal for her to climb the walls of the container a lot? She did it in her old vial too but not quite as much, I just saw her attempt the climb on the lid upside down........
Btw.... if you all can't tell by now, I literally am a compulsive worrier with generalized anxiety disorder. :eek:

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
It was very humid, there was condensation. I put a smaller cap in that currently has a killed cricket in there I will use it when I remove the cricket.
That's not as much a humidity issue as it is a ventilation issue...you need more ventilation. I also keep a fan running in my t room to keep the air moving across all the enclosures.

Just looking at the pic I can see not enough venting in the proper location....vent primarily on the sides, not as much the top.

That enclosure looks gigantic for that t....I'd put it in a condiment cup.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Is it normal for her to climb the walls of the container a lot? She did it in her old vial too but not quite as much, I just saw her attempt the climb on the lid upside down........
Btw.... if you all can't tell by now, I literally am a compulsive worrier with generalized anxiety disorder. :eek:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks as though you are using peat as a primary substrate? The problem with peat is that it is great for keeping humidity high. Although spiderlings need it a bit more humid - that might be too humid. Also, I find that they don't like walking on it as much as the more 'earth' like coco fiber sub.
Combine that will not enough ventilation and you could have problems.
Don't aggravate your anxiety - people are here to help you.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
That's not as much a humidity issue as it is a ventilation issue...you need more ventilation. I also keep a fan running in my t room to keep the air moving across all the enclosures.

Just looking at the pic I can see not enough venting in the proper location....vent primarily on the sides, not as much the top.

That enclosure looks gigantic for that t....I'd put it in a condiment cup.
I had her in the big vial she came in and was told by everyone on here to put her in a 16oz deli container (which is what this is). If I put her in a deli cup how will a lid for water fit in there?

Beastie

Arachnoknight
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks as though you are using peat as a primary substrate? The problem with peat is that it is great for keeping humidity high. Although spiderlings need it a bit more humid - that might be too humid. Also, I find that they don't like walking on it as much as the more 'earth' like coco fiber sub.
Combine that will not enough ventilation and you could have problems.
Don't aggravate your anxiety - people are here to help you.
I used it before vacation because it was all I had and at this point I'm just worried moving her again will stress her out more. I honestly an not sure what to do at this point, I'm just getting too many different suggestions.

cold blood

Staff member
I had her in the big vial she came in and was told by everyone on here to put her in a 16oz deli container (which is what this is). If I put her in a deli cup how will a lid for water fit in there?
By just using a smaller water dish.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
I'm thinking my game plan is to get coconut bark and a deli container (like the ones they put condiments in right?) on payday and move her then. Until then I can poke some more side holes (there are a bunch they're just difficult to see). Does this sound good?