Quick question

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
That's really weird, when I clicked on the link to view the thread, it took me only to the most recent message-- so it seemed like a new post. This is really odd, wonder if this has anything to do with my inbox being broken too! Crap!

Much appreciated the heads up! I edited my post. Thanks Blackout!
Yea I noticed it doesn't say he is op as well anymore which is strange I figuared that's what happened :)

Beastie

Arachnoknight
@Beastie what kind of sub is that? pure sphagnum moss isnt a ideal sub. peat moss, eco earth, plain unfertilized topsoil is the way to go. many many slings are killed by owners who keep them too moist. Grammostola require only slightly moist sub and a small water dish. im not confident of its survival in its current cage. i think youre overcomplicating this a bit. 16oz deli cup, slightly moist sub, water bottle cap for a W dish. temps 70-80, feed prekilled criks 1-7 times a week. very very easy species to raise.
The substrate is only slightly moist, I used it because it was all I had and the coco bark she was on was getting mold spots. I'm not trying to over complicate things but I am leaving for two weeks and want to make sure she is all set until we leave. I was told by others on this thread that she would be fine on the sphagum moss while we are gone so I didn't rush to town (over an hour away) and buy more substrate before leaving. If I put in prekilled crickets how will she know to eat them since they're not moving? This is the first time pre killed has been recommended. Other than that, this is a 16oz deli cup the substrate isn't super moist and I put in a bottle cap for her to drink. We are leaving this afternoon and I really don't know that we can make it into town to change anything before then. If I have to I will but I feel like changing her habitat again would be even more stressful on her and would really be over complicating things. Am I wrong? Because now I am super second guessing myself and getting sick to my stomach thinking we are gonna kill off my daughter's pet while we are away. :(

Beastie

Arachnoknight
She's still pretty plump, we've been feeding her decent sized crickets every 3rd day since we got her. This is the first time she hasn't eaten it right away.

Attachments

Beastie

Arachnoknight
Here's a better view of her abdomen. There is some condensation down in the substrate on this side, if need be I can replace some of the damp sphagum with dry sphagum when I take out the cricket.

Attachments

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
She will know to eat pre killed cause it is what they do. If she is hungry. You could always put a pre killed cricket in another cap so it's not sitting in the sub and doesn't mold the sub if she doesn't eat it but just crush it's head and put it their if she is hungry she will eat it over the next few days don't stress I'm sure she will be just fine make sure not to leave it near a window or anywere it can get too warm or any other pets like cats can knock it over. I have left snakes ts and all kinds of pets for 2 weeks or more with no issues enjoy your trip!

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
Here's a better view of her abdomen. There is some condensation down in the substrate on this side, if need be I can replace some of the damp sphagum with dry sphagum when I take out the cricket.
She looks fine don't remove any moss just leave her be as it dries out she will settle down crush the crickets head leave it on a small cap so it won't mold if not eaten and don't drive yourself nuts I have a b Emilia half her size that went into a burrow 5 months ago and sealed off I can see her through the side of the container and she is still fat and fine :)

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
She looks nice and chubby. Ts instinct for food is strong. They know what to do. Trust. Relax. Go play.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
Thanks for easing my mind I was having a mini panic attack after Venom's reply. Btw guys I'm not a dude, just for future reference.:pompous:

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
Thanks for easing my mind I was having a mini panic attack after Venom's reply. Btw guys I'm not a dude, just for future reference.:pompous:
I knew it your a dolphin aren't you...damn fish are getting smarter and smarter these days now they have laptops :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Great picture. At that size w/that fat abdomen it could go weeks without food provided the temps are 75 or less. Once the temps hit 78/80 and up, generally speaking the metabolism turns up quite quickly- at least for G. rosea and many other NW Ts.

cold blood

Staff member
Great picture. At that size w/that fat abdomen it could go weeks without food provided the temps are 75 or less. Once the temps hit 78/80 and up, generally speaking the metabolism turns up quite quickly- at least for G. rosea and many other NW Ts.
Agreed...the fact that it just refused food is perfect, as your plump little t probably won't want or need food for weeks or a month...perfect vacation time:)

Don't fret about the set up, its fine.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
Temp stays around 72 for a high.

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
The substrate is only slightly moist, I used it because it was all I had and the coco bark she was on was getting mold spots. I'm not trying to over complicate things but I am leaving for two weeks and want to make sure she is all set until we leave. I was told by others on this thread that she would be fine on the sphagum moss while we are gone so I didn't rush to town (over an hour away) and buy more substrate before leaving. If I put in prekilled crickets how will she know to eat them since they're not moving? This is the first time pre killed has been recommended. Other than that, this is a 16oz deli cup the substrate isn't super moist and I put in a bottle cap for her to drink. We are leaving this afternoon and I really don't know that we can make it into town to change anything before then. If I have to I will but I feel like changing her habitat again would be even more stressful on her and would really be over complicating things. Am I wrong? Because now I am super second guessing myself and getting sick to my stomach thinking we are gonna kill off my daughter's pet while we are away. :(
i was just nitpicking your cage apart, it'll work. sorry for any stress. prekilled is a very common way to feed slings. never heard of sphagnum moss used just by itself, but as long as its not kept completly damp it will be fine. you dont have to change anything. also, a sling refusing food usually means premolt, it wont need food for a good while. i thought the sub was completely damp. enjoy your trip, i wouldnt worry about your sling.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
Okay, we are home from our trip. I gave a cricket to our girl yesterday and ended up having to remove some legs and put it in a shallow water bottle cap because it kept digging down into the substrate and I'm worried she won't eat it and it will end up left in there because we don't see it hiding. She still hasn't eaten it (I gave it to her yesterday evening). She still seems pretty plump but I'm worried because she hasn't eaten since we put her on this substrate. It gets humid in there in the morning but dries out a bit during the day, I'm concerned it could be too humid with the "water dish" in there. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Am I over thinking? Should I give her a few days? She never ate the killed cricket we left behind either, just webbed over the top of the bottle cap they were in.