1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick poll! Opinions needed!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by secretstash187, Jul 9, 2006.

1. secretstash187

secretstash187 Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    How many out there use False Bottoms for there tarantulas???

How many out there feel that it is not needed?

2. Amanda

Amanda Arachnolord Old Timer

What do you mean by "False Bottoms"?

3. metallica

metallica Arachnoking Old Timer

i have a trapdoor, does that count?

4. Mr_Baker4420

Mr_Baker4420 Arachnoknight

i might be an idiot

i don't get the question

5. Tescos

Tescos Banned

I did use them at one time but found they just never looked realistic enough!

Attached Files:

6. maxident213

maxident213 Arachnolord Old Timer

I have never really heard of anyone using a false bottom for a T. I know a lot of scorpion keepers use them, I have a false bottom setup in my Imperator tank and all it's ever given me is a mold problem. I won't use one again, I don't see what benefits it gives that couldn't be reaped by simply misting the enclosure.

It does keep the humidity quite high in the tank, so it serves its purpose, I have just found them to be a pain in the butt to maintain.

7. stargell

stargell Arachnosquire

Nobody has said what a "false bottom" is? DOes this refer to some sort of substrate? Thanks.

8. Tescos

Tescos Banned

see picture above;)

9. Sobrino

Sobrino Arachnoknight

NYC
    Huh!!!???

ok im an idiot! wait is it like photoshopping something in??? :confused:

10. ghost6303

ghost6303 Arachnosquire

i dont get it either... a fake ass? i have a feeling thats a joke but i have no idea what it realy is

11. Amanda

Amanda Arachnolord Old Timer

The only thing I can think of is like in a bird cage, for example. They have a wire grate that sits a few inches above the actual bottom of the cage, so all the waste and dropped seed falls through. :?

12. beetleman

beetleman Arachnoking Old Timer

:rolleyes: :} :p :clap: :D

13. Nate

Nate Arachnobaron Old Timer

14. SilentMercury

SilentMercury Arachnosquire Old Timer

Thanks for a much needed laugh!!:clap:

15. The only time ive heard of false botoms being used is in Dendrobates and other dart frogs, no T need it that humid and Damp

16. bayani919

bayani919 Arachnosquire

I use it in my scorpions enclosure and it helps keep the humidty up a lot.. i only have to mist about once a week or so..sometimes even less than that... the trick with not getting it to mold is putting the right amount of water every few weeks..put too much and the substrate will be overly moist causing the mold to come.. thats what happened to me so now I just reduce the amount of water I put inside the false bottom and presto..humidty problem solved.. (I dont have a T, but will have one soon!!) although from reading the boards it seems as if you dont need a false bottom all that much since T's apparently dont like wet substrate..so yeah, just go with a large water dish, maybe even two water dishes, and mist more often or pour water into one corner of the tank and I think that would be your best bet...