Questions.

N.W.A.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Are Emperor scorpions good beginner scorps? Are they holdable? If yes to both questions, is $15 a good price for one? And what are the requirements for Emperors ex. cage size, bedding, light requirements.

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yes
yes to a degree
yes

There is a sticky at the top of this forum that deals with Emp care. Its not hard, high humidity, places to dig and hide.

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, yes emps make good beginner scorps. Their sting is about as bad as a bee sting but their pincers can draw blood. I own two, I choose not to hold mine but other people hold theirs. As far as price I would make sure it is a juvinile (white stinger instead of red-brown) and then yes $15 is a fair price. If it is an adult you have no way of knowing how long it will live so might not be worth the $15 investment. My first two emps were adult and they only lived for a couple of months until one died of old age. Subastrate is something everyone fights over (use search) I personally use something called eco-earth its a brick of coconut bark, I mix that with some wood chips and put a layer of moss on top, all over about an inch of gravel with a plastic tube going all the way down to the bottom of the tank to add moisture. Other people use vermaculate or peat moss. Whatever you use just make sure its at least 4-6 inches deep so they can burrow. Make sure they have a hide and water dish. For temp: 75-80F For humidity: 80-90% My tank is ten gallon for two scorps,that is plenty of room. Light is another thing people fight over some think scorps don't need any light I disagree I use normal aquarium light set on a timer to mimic day/night by season (less light in winter). That should be all you need. Good luck with your new scorp. :clap:

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had problems with that at first. I use about an inch of pea gravel under my substrate and add water to that through a long plastic tube that I put in the corner of my tank. And I mist about once a day. That keeps it just about right. And by adding the water to the bottom of the tank it lets the scorps burrow down to the humidity level they are comfortable at, the deeper they dig the more humid it gets.
One more thing don't rely on humidity guages 100%, they are a nice guide but not exact. My humidity guage jumps from about 65% during the "day" and about 85% at "night"

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Cover most of the top with plexiglass or plastic wrap and keep the substrate a little moist.

John
];')

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I wouldn't recommend holding any scorpion.

The best you can hope to accomplish by handling a scorpion is it NOT pinching you, stinging you... and it not getting dropped and dying.

IE: The only good that can come of it is you or the scorpion not getting hurt.

Scorpions are very simple... "programs". You won't be able to bond with it, or teach it tricks. They do what is instinctual and only that.

So yeah, avoiding holding it will be much better for you AND the scorpion in the long run.

Rabid Flea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
IMO emps are perfect beginner scorps. I have 5 adults and 15 babies as of now and im anxiously awaiting 2 more of my scorps to give birth. I do suggest reading and learning as much as you can before you actually buy one. In the beginning I made a lot of mistakes but now, all of my emps even the babies are thriving. Good luck!