Questions

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
a few questions

First off relating to the wc species I found here an adult and juvie
Well I decided cool my first scorps and they got a lil spoiled [a fair amount of crickets] well now there fat as hell so I figure diet... nope no work there still fat but they slowed down.. so can scorps be over fed and what should I do to improve there health [they were originaly very fast but now are rather slow..]

my second question is: I want to breed my male emporer scorp with a friends and I wanted to know what special things I may have to prepare for a special breeding my male has no telson [see one of my previous threads 'imediate help f'ing roomates']the female has a fully fuction telson

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
1) You can't kill a scorpion directly from overfeeding, though they can get "overweight" to the point that it *could* shorten their lifespan. I like mine a little plump, however. Also keep in mind that if the adult is gravid you'll want to let her eat as much as possible. A scorpion diet would probably take about a year--that is, cutting down food to 1 cricket every 2 two weeks. A scorpion's metabolism is VERY slow, though I'd say feed less, but don't worry about it too much. They'll be more active if they're reasonably well fed, but occasionally hungry.

2) It's been suggested that a male scorp will use his sting to stimulate a female into breeding. This isn't necessary, it just helps. I've seen my emps breed with and without stinging, so it's not like there's no hope.

As for the project itself, numerous people have written about it, but I'll give my 2 cents:

Introduce the male to the females enclosure--as would happen in the wild. Supply a large, flat piece of slate for him to deposit on--you also might want to include drift wood, as others have had success with that. Raise the temps to 95 on one side, 85 on the other, and make sure that the humidity is up to at least 85%. Give them at least 4 hides, two in the hot part, 2 in the cold. As always, deep substrate (see careing for emps sticky), and water dish. Let them live together for about a week or two, and keep them well fed. Emps are very communal, but I've seen females get angry at overly *aggressive* males, and if he's never bred before he may be a little excited. That about covers it from what I can tell. Feed the female well after shes mated, and within a year you'll have the pitter-patter of little setae all over the tank. Good luck,

Chris

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Gravid isnt an option yes both are WC specimens but, The adult is a male and the Juvie is a female [unless my sexing is way off] When should I expect the youngin' to molt though I've had it for about a month now and its probably about 1.5-2" from telson to claws [I'll get the anatomy down I swear!] while the adult [presumably adult] is about 3" and what are good premolt indicators?