Questions sexing and buying

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
Hey guys. When you buy a tarantula off the web... how are you able to be sure they're the sex you were charged for? Is there a way for me to sex it without touching it?

Also would it be worth buying a 4 inch female chaco golden knee as my first? I would prefer a larger specimen.... but I wouldn't want it to be 10 years old... if it only lives 15?

Also what are the fastest growing tarantulas overall? Would you say keeping temps at the higher end affect the growth rate?

Thank you for your patience.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
If rhe seller says suspect female or male, the seller is 75% sure of the gender, most likely through ventral shots. Unless a picture of the molt is taken it is impossible to tell what you really have as far as the sex of said tarantula is concerned. Some species are sexually dimorphic however. The seller will only state the sex (without suspect in front) of the tarantula if it is confirmed via molt. Only buy from places that mainly sell tarantulas, never buy tarantulas from reptile dealers, that's like buying a bucket of KFC at walgreens. I hope you don't make the mistake quite a few have made and shop backwater, that place is a ripoff (i never dealt with them nor will i, i just thought that i should put that warning in here just so you are aware, being a new keeper and all).

4" G. pulchripes is a good size to start with. They aren't the fastest growers, but are very easy to keep and get quite large. My advice to you is surf the classifieds here on the forum, this forum is your best chance at finding great deals at the best prices. While warmer temps assist in growth, so does feeding, if you must use supplamental heating, a space heater is recommended, although 95% of tarantulas will do just fine ar room temperature. Nore: there is a certain word that is not necessary to learn about when it comes to raising tarantulas and it is "humidity" the word "moisture" is a much better term. I thought i should add the extra information to help you go down the correct path.

basin79

ArachnoGod
You have to trust the seller. So only buy off trusted suppliers. Be it a well regarded shop or forum member.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
how are you able to be sure they're the sex you were charged for? Is there a way for me to sex it without touching it?
One of the first things I did was learn how to vent sex because I'm a misanthropic bastard and half-expected to get ripped off.

You can Google "[species name] male/female ventral" and then compare to what you have, once you know what you're looking for its much easier.

Also would it be worth buying a 4 inch female chaco golden knee as my first?
Sure.

I would prefer a larger specimen.... but I wouldn't want it to be 10 years old... if it only lives 15?
They can live for upwards of 30 years IIRC.

Also what are the fastest growing tarantulas overall? Would you say keeping temps at the higher end affect the growth rate?
Tropical new world species and a lot of old world species are the fastest growers, higher temps will increase growth rate.

scott99

Arachnoknight
Thank you for your patience.
Lasiodora Parahybana is probably one of the fast species. Their pretty cheap, their easy to take care of and they get big.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
@The Grym Reaper : I will admit I am quite a cynic myself... mostly from being burnt in the past at a lot of things(vague but its enough to explain).. 20 years of an adult living? sounds good to me. Even another 15yrs sounds nice.

As for those who mentioned the sexing I was asking more about if there are tarantulas with pretty obvious sexual dimorphism.... for example ants.... queen ants have a large gaster/butt, while the males is rather small.... This is between ants in nuptial flights...

@scott99 Lasidoras... without actually looking it up it's one of the bird eater species? Parahybana... I feel like I was looking at one the other day being sold near full grown but... wasn't sure on their lifespan or sexual dimorphism. How long does it take them to reach say half size? I recall this species being native to south america or one of the caribbean islands... so high heat + moisture?

@PanzoN88 : Thank you this helps a lot. I will look up more on the terms.

@basin79 : That makes sense. Maybe if I talk to them for a bit on the forum I would have a bit more trust.

Are there species that grow big fast are easy to sex(sexual dimorphism) and would stay out in the open often? I don't care about handling, just wouldn't want it to jump at me to bite if I herd it to a catching container.... The colors I would say I prefer light colors to be honest. Lookwise I'd say arizona/desert blonde as well as aphonopelma moderatum, nhandu chromatus, and generally tan colored species with sleek hairs like the first two I pointed.

On another note I do like that lasiodora parahybana as I just looked it up as I am typing this and it's massive. So that means I can see it a lot better even with the dark colorations. Would be a plus if they had a tan/sandy coloration but it's beautiful none the less!

Temperament wise it's always would be nice if you didn't open the lid to have an arachnid rear up at you ready to chomp on you.

Edit: Forgot to say it's not in order so sorry about that. Also really appreciate everyone at this forum for helping me learn more. With so much information online sometimes it's hard to discern the truth.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
20 years of an adult living?
More like 25+

I don't think it takes longer than 5-6 years for a G. pulchripes to grow to adult size.

As for those who mentioned the sexing I was asking more about if there are tarantulas with pretty obvious sexual dimorphism
Very few species show sexual dimorphism prior to reaching sexual maturity.

scott99

Arachnoknight
@scott99 Lasidoras... without actually looking it up it's one of the bird eater species? Parahybana... I feel like I was looking at one the other day being sold near full grown but... wasn't sure on their lifespan or sexual dimorphism. How long does it take them to reach say half size? I recall this species being native to south america or one of the caribbean islands... so high heat + moisture?
It's one of the birdeaters, but it doesn't have the draw backs that come from the Theraphosa (goliath birdeater), like really bad Urticating hairs, problems molting and moister. I would say it take a year or two for them to get to half way point; depending on their sex, how often you feed them and the temperature.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
but it doesn't have the draw backs that come from the Theraphosa (goliath birdeater), like really bad Urticating hairs
Speak for yourself, Lasiodora hairs are irritating.

Last edited by a moderator:

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
Speak for yourself, Lasiodora hairs are irritating.
What are the hairs made of? is it allergy inducing? also do they bite?

Forgot to add did you know which species do show sexual dimorphism then? (in response to other post)
When is sexual maturity? is it based on growth rate or...? All I was told is adult females just tend to be significantly larger and have a big rump.
It's one of the birdeaters, but it doesn't have the draw backs that come from the Theraphosa (goliath birdeater), like really bad Urticating hairs, problems molting and moister. I would say it take a year or two for them to get to half way point; depending on their sex, how often you feed them and the temperature.
So with lasidoras I could easily find say a sexable 5inch specimen? do lasiodoras have any sexual dimorphism?

Edited

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
how are you able to be sure they're the sex you were charged for?
By buying from a reputable seller.

Also what are the fastest growing tarantulas overall?
The genus Tapinauchenius are generally regarded as the fastest growing ts. Psalmopeous isn't far benind, especialy cambridgei. N. incei also grow very fast. Many OW Asians can also grow very rapidly.

Would you say keeping temps at the higher end affect the growth rate?
Absolutely, this is the biggest factor in growth...of course feeding is as well, but its actually easier to slow growth with a slow feeding schedule than it is to speed growth with heavy feeding. Reason being is that every t has a certain amount of time it will need to be physically ready to molt...heavy feeding generally results in longer fasting n pre-molt as its easy to fatten any t faster than its required molt cycle. Warmer temps are the thing that can effect the length of this cycle more than anything.
Lasiodora Parahybana is probably one of the fast species.
Now, Lasiodora are fast growing, but there's dozens that are much faster, and probably hundreds that are equally as fast.

I will admit I am quite a cynic myself
In this case, I would recommend getting several slings and raise them...this will increase chances of getting a female, and you will be able to be the one to sex them, so you won't be trusting someone else to not make a mistake.

without actually looking it up it's one of the bird eater species
This term is meaningless. Birdeater merely means South American tarantula that gets to 5" or more....there's literally hundreds of species that carry the moniker of birdeater.

is it allergy inducing
The hairs certainly can be.
also do they bite?
All ts can bite.
Forgot to add did you know which species do show sexual dimorphism then?
The list would be daunting to make...while there isn't a ton, to go through and figure that out would be very time consuming.....keep in mind though, most are not until the male matures.
When is sexual maturity
For a male, its when he gets emboli...for a female its when she is ready to reproduce. By examining the spermatheca you can tell as it will darken significantly.
All I was told is adult females just tend to be significantly larger and have a big rump.
Not true....common isconception. Prior to maturity, a male and female typically are indistinguishable.
So with lasidoras I could easily find say a sexable 5inch specimen? do lasiodoras have any sexual dimorphism?
They are really common and inexpensive, finding a female shouldn't be all that difficult. They do not exhibit sexual dimorphism....that is until a male matures.

Last edited:

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
By buying from a reputable seller.

The genus Tapinauchenius are generally regarded as the fastest growing ts. Psalmopeous isn't far benind, especialy cambridgei. N. incei also grow very fast. Many OW Asians can also grow very rapidly.

Absolutely, this is the biggest factor in growth...of course feeding is as well, but its actually easier to slow growth with a slow feeding schedule than it is to speed growth with heavy feeding. Reason being is that every t has a certain amount of time it will need to be physically ready to molt...heavy feeding generally results in longer fasting n pre-molt as its easy to fatten any t faster than its required molt cycle. Warmer temps are the thing that can effect the length of this cycle more than anything.

Now, Lasiodora are fast growing, but there's dozens that are much faster, and probably hundreds that are equally as fast.

In this case, I would recommend getting several slings and raise them...this will increase chances of getting a female, and you will be able to be the one to sex them, so you won't be trusting someone else to not make a mistake.

This term is meaningless. Birdeater merely means South American tarantula that gets to 5" or more....there's literally hundreds of species that carry the moniker of birdeater.

The hairs certainly can be.

All ts can bite.

The list would be daunting to make...while there isn't a ton, to go through and figure that out would be very time consuming.....keep in mind though, most are not until the male matures.

For a male, its when he gets emboli...for a female its when she is ready to reproduce. By examining the spermatheca you can tell as it will darken significantly.

Not true....common isconception. Prior to maturity, a male and female typically are indistinguishable.
They are really common and inexpensive, finding a female shouldn't be all that difficult. They do not exhibit sexual dimorphism....that is until a male matures.
What do you mean until a male matures? is it like you have to introduce them to a mature male to know if its a she or...?

As for the lasiodora I saw on a site a wc confirmed sub adult female

http://tarantulaspiders.com/site/6b...://tarantulaspiders.com/New_Arrivals.php#2636

It was labeled peruvian blonde... Under lasiodora poly something.

I got that site from one of the ads in our classifieds. what is emboli?

As for equally fast growers, any big ones like lasiodoras?

The male maturing thing still rather perplexes me.

cold blood

Staff member
What do you mean until a male matures? is it like you have to introduce them to a mature male to know if its a she or...?
A male's final molt is when it matures, this is when it gets its reproductive organs...it can only breed at this time. Before this final molt, they look the same as females.
was labeled peruvian blonde... Under lasiodora poly something
I believe you are looking at Lasiodorides...different than Lasiodora...significantly slower grower.

what is emboli?
The male reproductive organs. They are bulbs at the ends of the pedipalps.

You can kind of see them here, you can see the shiny bulb on the palp on the left.
As for equally fast growers, any big ones like lasiodoras?
Lots...in fact, most large South Americans grow at a fast rate. The N. chromatus you mentioned liking grows as fast or faster than an LP and gets nearly as large.

The male maturing thing still rather perplexes me.
It shouldn't, If I knew what specifics you were unclear on, I would explain....if I haven't already in thiis post.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
A male's final molt is when it matures, this is when it gets its reproductive organs...it can only breed at this time. Before this final molt, they look the same as females.
I believe you are looking at Lasiodorides...different than Lasiodora...significantly slower grower.

The male reproductive organs. They are bulbs at the ends of the pedipalps.

You can kind of see them here
Lots...in fact, most large South Americans grow at a fast rate. The N. chromatus you mentioned liking grows as fast or faster than an LP and gets nearly as large.

It shouldn't, If I knew what specifics you were unclear on, I would explain....if I haven't already in thiis post.
Well when you said the females are sexable when the males become mature. Did you imply that if from the same batch they will grow at same exact rate provided same habitat? and the ones that do not have the male repro organs will likely be females? or do the females get their organs at around the same time? A photo of what to look for in a female would help.

If a sub adult female being offered for sale does it mean she can be sexed now by anyone else? I.e. say you had a tarantula and you knew the gender because of what was mentioned earlier, would it be possible for the other person to know the gender without you telling them? like how can one tell when its ready to reproduce?

cold blood

Staff member
Well when you said the females are sexable when the males become mature.
Nope, that's not what I said at all.....I will cut and paste what I said...

For a male, its when he gets emboli

...for a female its when she is ready to reproduce. By examining the spermatheca you can tell as it will darken significantly

cold blood

Staff member
There is a section here on sexing, in the stickies there's even a video.

Sex can be seen by looking at a t ventrally, a trained eye can be pretty accurate...although examining a molt is the most foolproof method...you can actually see the female's sex organs on the molt...the spermatheca....this will not be present on a male.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
Nope, that's not what I said at all.....I will cut and paste what I said...

For a male, its when he gets emboli

...for a female its when she is ready to reproduce. By examining the spermatheca you can tell as it will darken significantly
Oh sorry. I read that wrongly, I am on mobile. Once a female is adult, are they always ready? i.e. will it stay dark always?

I wonder if putting one in a critter keeper and taking pictures would help

@cold blood : so if i bought a female I should just wait until a molt?

cold blood

Staff member
Oh sorry. I read that wrongly, I am on mobile. Once a female is adult, are they always ready? i.e. will it stay dark always?
Yes, different than a male...while a male is only mature for a brief portion of its life, once a female is mature, she's mature for the rest of her long life, through molt after molt.

wonder if putting one in a critter keeper and taking pictures would help
Put it in something clear like a deli cup and take good ventral pics (pics from underneath) and post them in the sexing gallery (this is the only place sexing pics can be posted).
so if i bought a female I should just wait until a molt?
for what? To sex it so you can be 100% sure its female? Yes, but like I said, you may be able to get confirmation ventrally as well.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
Yes, different than a male...while a male is only mature for a brief portion of its life, once a female is mature, she's mature for the rest of her long life, through molt after molt.

Put it in something clear like a deli cup and take good ventral pics (pics from underneath) and post them in the sexing gallery (this is the only place sexing pics can be posted).
for what? To sex it so you can be 100% sure its female? Yes, but like I said, you may be able to get confirmation ventrally as well.
or should I just ask them to show me pics of the vents before buying?

as for deli cup... itll have to be something small but big enough i dont have to touch it to go in