Questions regarding dwarf isopods

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
For those who use dwarf isopods:
What do you use to feed your culture?
How fast does the culture grow?

I have quite a few enclosures I'd like to use them in and I'd be using them with the established springtail colonies I have going in the enclosures that I have. I'm guessing I'll have to put a couple in each enclosure to start them off (or should I put more for an enclosure that's 6"x7")?

Thanks

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Note: the below care tips are for Dwarf White Isopods, as my Dwarf Purple colony is not yet mature.

Regular isopod fare, rotting leaves, rotting wood, leftover fruit and vegetable remains, along with dead crickets (Dwarf Whites seem to relish the extra protein and consume it rapidly).

In my case my colony took a couple of months to get going, but I only had a few individuals to start with (10-15). If you wish to get a colony going quickly (and if you plan on keeping them in a 6"x7" enclosure), I would suggest 30-50+ isopods and give them a very nutritious substrate, as they consume their food very quickly.

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Note: the below care tips are for Dwarf White Isopods, as my Dwarf Purple colony is not yet mature.

Regular isopod fare, rotting leaves, rotting wood, leftover fruit and vegetable remains, along with dead crickets (Dwarf Whites seem to relish the extra protein and consume it rapidly).

In my case my colony took a couple of months to get going, but I only had a few individuals to start with (10-15). If you wish to get a colony going quickly (and if you plan on keeping them in a 6"x7" enclosure), I would suggest 30-50+ isopods and give them a very nutritious substrate, as they consume their food very quickly.

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts
What do you consider a nutritious substrate? I was planning to keep them in moist coco fiber with some veggies. I have fish food (I use them for springtails) I can give them if that helps?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
A mixture of rotting leaves, rotting wood, and coconut fiber, with the leaves and wood making up at least 50% of the substrate, if not more. Some extra veggies thrown in would make it perfect, in my opinion.
Fish food works fine, it just spoils real quick in moist conditions, but the springtails you mentioned should take care of that.

Arthroverts

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You can get away with cocofiber with some dead leaves on top, though mixing in rotting wood seems to really get them going. I've used fishfood with mine and haven't had any issues, though I try not to add too much so that mold doesn't become an issue. Carrots and apple bits seem to be readily taken, though I'm sure they'll eat other things too.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For those who use dwarf isopods:

I have quite a few enclosures I'd like to use them in and I'd be using them with the established springtail colonies I have going in the enclosures that I have. I'm guessing I'll have to put a couple in each enclosure to start them off (or should I put more for an enclosure that's 6"x7")?

Thanks
I concur with all that has been said, and would add that warm temperatures, to some extent, seem to speed their reproduction...high 70s to low/mid 80s.
Also, you may already know that this species reproduces via parthenogenesis, so in theory, one is enough to get a colony started, but more individuals will definitely speed up the process.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I concur with all that has been said, and would add that warm temperatures, to some extent, seem to speed their reproduction...high 70s to low/mid 80s.
Also, you may already know that this species reproduces via parthenogenesis, so in theory, one is enough to get a colony started, but more individuals will definitely speed up the process.
I use the " Bug Grub " that's marketed, just a pinch here and there once a week, as pannaking22 says try not to use fishfood as it molds quickly and smells if damp.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use the " Bug Grub " that's marketed, just a pinch here and there once a week, as pannaking22 says try not to use fishfood as it molds quickly and smells if damp.
I haven’t tried bug grub yet, but I use a lot of Bug Burger, and I only tend to use fish food in larger, established colonies where I know it will get finished quickly.