questions and concerns of a first time breeder

LunarB

Arachnopeon
Hey there!
my first T(B Albo) matured back in November. he is a gorgeous T and i'd love a bunch of babies to remember him by. but i have some questions and concerns i should get out the way before i get a mature female.

firstly, if i buy a female and get her shipped, how long should i wait to start getting them set up together? i heard a week of having them be able to see each other until the pairing is good, but how long from the date of arrival should i start putting their enclosures in sight of each other?

next, if he his final molt was in November, will he be too old by the time i could pair them?

also how common do females attack during mating? i'd hate to see him go out that violently. but since this hobby is so 'niche' i can't find any common survival rate of the MM when breeding.

Thank you so much! here's a pic IMG_20181119_194519_445.jpg of my good man.

Attachments

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi if you buy an adult female. Ask when she moulted last! Females and makes should be freshly moulted. For females maybe one or 2 month! That elimate the risk of her moulting when impregnated. It is vital that the male have spun a spermweb. He loads his pedipalp with sperm. Second, the female should be aclimatized to her new tank and be provided with deep substrate and a good hide and well fed. Then you introduce male to females tank. If she is receptive, breeding this speicies should be problemsfree. In my cases, the females where never aggressive towards males. Try a few times and take out the male after each time and let him make a new spermwebb! If you succeed and female some month later lays a sack, the substrate should be moisten up and female should not be disturbed!
Good luck!

LunarB

Arachnopeon
Hi if you buy an adult female. Ask when she moulted last! Females and makes should be freshly moulted. For females maybe one or 2 month! That elimate the risk of her moulting when impregnated. It is vital that the male have spun a spermweb. He loads his pedipalp with sperm. Second, the female should be aclimatized to her new tank and be provided with deep substrate and a good hide and well fed. Then you introduce male to females tank. If she is receptive, breeding this speicies should be problemsfree. In my cases, the females where never aggressive towards males. Try a few times and take out the male after each time and let him make a new spermwebb! If you succeed and female some month later lays a sack, the substrate should be moisten up and female should not be disturbed!
Good luck!
Thank you so much, thats very helpful!
Just one question, how recent should the last sperm web be to the time of the pairing?

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They usally spin it at night. You will see remains of it looking much whiter than their normal webb. Like a white silk tread! You can breed emudeatly after you see the remains! Meaning he has load up his embolous!

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
are you prepared for all those slings?

I mean I wont stop you if that is your love thing but you should know what you're getting into not just for breeding but the result too. I'll gladly take a few slings for free ;), I am just such a nice guy like that.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you plan to only keep a few slings, what are your plans for the other 993 slings? I got my B. albo sling for free because literally no one chose him from the "After-raffle freebies" table... he was the last little sling and it broke my heart.

But, if you're going to breed...

1. You need to know the date of the female's last molt. It should be less than a third of the way into her molt cycle... so if she molts once in a twelve month period, you don't want to breed her four months after a molt or you risk her molting out. They can retain sperm as long as they don't molt (I believe there are exceptions, too).

2. A male will retain sperm in his emboli for a little bit, then freshen up with a new sperm web. You want to use him as soon after you see a sperm web as possible.

3. Put their enclosures next to each other immediately.

4. A lot of people will tell you to feed up the female to lessen the chances that she'll eat the male. Some people will say it doesn't matter. But, I recommend feeding the female up because... why not?

LunarB

Arachnopeon
UPDATE: i have bought a female, and and have mated them once.
I'm not totally sure he lifted high enough to impregnate her.

i have some more questions now that ive gotten this far.

does he need to make a spermweb before each mating for a successful breeding?
also how many times do you usually breed two tarantulas before you feel they got it?
Screenshot_20190409-103512_Chrome.jpg thank you so much! Screenshot_20190409-103512_Chrome.jpg

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Are these Nicaraguan or Honduran B. albopilosum that you're breeding? These pics look a little blurry to tell.

LunarB

Arachnopeon
Are these Nicaraguan or Honduran B. albopilosum that you're breeding? These pics look a little blurry to tell.
yeah im aware theyre VERY blurry. if you check the picture on the original post you can see the male spider better. from what i get, B Albos are all sorts of bred together, so i just made sure i got a female that really looked like him. cant say whether hes honduran or Nicaraguan.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
yeah im aware theyre VERY blurry. if you check the picture on the original post you can see the male spider better. from what i get, B Albos are all sorts of bred together, so i just made sure i got a female that really looked like him. cant say whether hes honduran or Nicaraguan.
He's honduran, a mature male nicaraguan are way fluffier. But I can't tell about the female. Nicaraguan are way fluffier than the honduran.

For reference of Nicaraguan B. albopilosum
Mature Male nicaraguan
View media item 53040
Female Nicaraguan
View media item 58069
Female with eggsac

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
from what i get, B Albos are all sorts of bred together, so i just made sure i got a female that really looked like him. cant say whether hes honduran or Nicaraguan.
That doesn't mean you should contribute to it :rolleyes:

If the male gets good insertions with the first pairing, I don't pair them again. If you don't know what a good insertion looks like, you should have done more research first.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
I now see why B. Albopilosum Hobbius exists. :troll:

look Honduran to me.

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, classic example of why one should gain significant experience BEFORE breeding ts.

#1 Rule of breeding is to always be 100% certain the ts you are pairing are the same exact species.

LunarB

Arachnopeon
i was very sure they were both honduran, you just never know no matter what theyre advertised as. i would like to stick to topic though. i did research but i did not find the answer to these specific questions. could someone help me out here?

Lyrognathus

Arachnosquire
It looks like you're keeping them bone dry. They come from pretty humid places, so I'd recommend keeping it half humid and half dry.

cold blood

Staff member
It looks like you're keeping them bone dry. They come from pretty humid places, so I'd recommend keeping it half humid and half dry.
While i agree with your message, i dont agree with the delivery....see, humidity isnt relevant...what you should have wrote was keep half the substrate damp and half dry.

These claims or even mentions of humidity or keeping things humid do new keepers reading no favors and just provide a sense of unnecessary confusion.

docwade87

Arachnoknight
cant say whether hes honduran or Nicaraguan.
i was very sure they were both Honduran
Are you sure?? You started post not even mentioning what locality they were. Then you say you aren’t sure then you say you’re pretty sure it’s honduran.

You were given excellent advice. You obviously haven’t done your research nor have enough time with Ts to even have the slightest clue to what you are doing.

I hope you’re ready for hundreds of slings that you will literally have to give away to get rid of them. Good luck.

In the future, don’t ask for help when you blatantly disregard experienced keepers advice and knowledge, oh and then lie about it all...

Last edited:

LunarB

Arachnopeon
Are you sure?? You started post not even mentioning what locality they were. Then you say you aren’t sure then you say you’re pretty sure it’s honduran.

You were given excellent advice. You obviously haven’t done your research nor have enough time with Ts to even have the slightest clue to what you are doing.

I hope you’re ready for hundreds of slings that you will literally have to give away to get rid of them. Good luck.

In the future, don’t ask for help when you blatantly disregard experienced keepers advice and knowledge, oh and then lie about it all...
I am awfully sorry to anyone that felt this way. i am very sure that they are both honduran. i just didnt wild catch them myself, so thats why i said you can never be sure. i didn't mean to disregard any advice. i am very thankful for the replies i got. i am sorry if i dismissed them.

I realized the mistake after i already said can't say whether he's Honduran or Nicaraguan. i do not expect anyone to believe me after that mistake, but i am sure. i will make sure to be more careful with my wording in the future.

Last edited by a moderator: