Questions about wolf behavior...

spider pest

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've had an adult female hogna carolinensis since early September. Thread here. It's been two weeks or longer since she's eaten, but she's still pretty fat. I was expecting a second sac, but it hasn't come. I know this could mean a molt coming on, but that hasn't come either. What are some signs to look for pre-molt? Any dulling or darkening of colors?

She received a small injury. From my other thread:

I should note she had a mild injury when being transferred. She got away from me and was about to run behind a dresser and I panicked and kinda scooped her back towards me with a glass, and it gave her a very very small abrasion on the top of her cephalothorax. It produced a small drop of fluid, which i dabbed with a q-tip, and it seemed to heal up. These are hardy spiders and I'm sure they encounter much worse in the wild.
Could that have anything to do with it?

New to wolves and keeping in general, so I'm still learning what normal behavior is like. I feel like the spider is not settling in well at all. She was on sand initially. I transferred her to dry coco husk which i mistook for coco fiber soil. Have her on some soil now but I fear it might be a little too moist for a desert spider. Might remove it and throw it in the oven.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Did you get an egg sac out of her? If she looks good, she is most likely fine. It's that simple. Not eating could mean pre-molt, or that she is just not hungry. It's up to her when she molts, it could take several months, just never know. I have seen wolf spiders missing limbs, beaten all to heck and they pull through. I once found a hogna along a house foundation that had been annihilated by Terminix bug spray and it even pulled through. They're tough spiders and adjust to captivity very well. Just let her be, offer food every week or so and enjoy your spider.

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've had an adult female hogna carolinensis since early September. [....] It's been two weeks or longer since she's eaten, but she's still pretty fat. I was expecting a second sac, but it hasn't come. I know this could mean a molt coming on, but that hasn't come either. What are some signs to look for pre-molt? Any dulling or darkening of colors?
Adults don't molt.