Questions about terrarium?

ChrisWall55

Arachnopeon
Alright, so I have questions about the tank I have for my emp. Scorpion. 5.5 gallons for an adult with coco fibers as substrate. But my only questions are about heat and humidity. Since the top of the tank is grate is it going to have a problem with keeping in moisture when I mist it? And for heat I use a 25 watt bulb. I wanted a nocturnal bulb but that's all the pet store had. Is it going to work?

Attachments

Tangerine

Arachnopeon
You can put packing tape over the top of the grate to help retain moisture if you have any problems retaining humidity. I stopped misting a long time ago, I just pour water directly on the coco fibre until it is damp and it stays moist for a good week or 2.

shebeen

Arachnobaron
Seal off the entire top of your enclosure except the area where your lamp rests. You can use packing tape over the wire screen, or, cut a piece of glass or Plexiglass to fit in the plastic lip that runs around the top of your tank, then place the wire screen on top. I also recommending adding another 4 inches of coco-fiber so your Emp can dig a burrow. You might want to consider adding a false bottom to keep moisture in the substrate, although pouring water directly on the substrate works as well. Misting is pretty much a waste of time, especially with an overhead lamp. You should also add a thermometer to your tank, if you don't have one already, so you can monitor the temperature. It's also been my experience that the half log hides quickly develop mold when kept in a humid environment. I swapped mine out for a piece of terra cotta from a broken flower pot.