1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about breeding Loxosceles species

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by NYAN, Oct 10, 2018 at 5:06 PM.

1. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoprince Active Member

CA
    Advertisement
    Hi everybody. I have some Loxosceles species coming in, and already have Loxosceles simillima pairs. It is possible that the simillima females have been mated already since they were kept with males and slings were produced, but the abdomens don’t look too huge at the moment. I put what I believe is a male and female together, but I haven’t seen any action. The males are fairly sexually dimorphic as they have really long legs and have a larger size than the females. The females can appear leggy also though. I want to know mainly the following things: how easily do the males mate with the females, how long can the females store sperm, can they make multiple brood like latrodectus and the incubation period of sacs. In the first pic I believe I have a sexually mature female, and in the second the male AAA7EB4D-C066-4F9D-BA58-00AE4E431FAF.jpeg

40913D7F-02E5-4CE4-A39C-12D6ADF8C3C0.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Joogvanhedel

Joogvanhedel Arachnosquire Active Member

Can you see clearly the palpen from the male? Those are also really leggy/long when adult.. Yes they lay mutiple good sacs, not as many as widows. The incubation time is also a bit longer then widows, +/- 6 weeks..

3. NYAN

CA
    You can see the palps in the second photo a bit. 6 weeks isn’t too bad, but you’re right that it’s longer.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

While I don't know much about this species (other than I want several lol), I would assume that females can store sperm since that's a common feature of Sicariidae. Mating will be pretty low key, as far as I know there aren't any elaborate displays in this group. The male will get in, do his business, and then leave her alone.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NYAN

CA

Interesting! They were hanging out together yesterday right on top of each other pretty much.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 10:51 AM
  6. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

Huh, that is interesting. I know when I had L. reclusa slings they would clump together, but after a couple molts they started spreading out. I'd say that cannibalism is pretty rare in Loxosceles, though I saw it happen a couple times when I had boatloads of Sicarius slings.

• Like Like x 1
  7. NYAN

CA
    One of my females died overnight. I have another who seems a bit fat and is sitting in her Cork bark notch. She appears to have webbed it up pretty good and is sitting on top of a web blanket. I wonder if she’s preparing to make an egg sac?

I guess that’s a yes. @Joogvanhedel how large are their clutches usually? This one looks incomplete, but isn’t too big. She has been at it maybe 20-30 mins.

A91D4BAE-1119-469C-8AAE-C26B844DEDD8.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 11:31 PM
  8. Joogvanhedel

Joogvanhedel Arachnosquire Active Member

Mine give around 30 slings, also small numbers.. But it's enough, not many people like them as we do ;-)

9. Rick McJimsey

Rick McJimsey Arachnoprince Arachnosupporter

Loxosceles species, (at least North American species), do have a fairly distinct mating ritual. You will know if the female is receptive, and if the male is in fact, a male.

Though, to be fair, I have witnessed Loxosceles laeta males attempt to court eachother.

Loxosceles clutches are between 10-30ish or so slings, from my experience.