Question regarding humidity for slings... (w/ pics of enclosure)

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Today I received a bunch of little, smaller than I though, slings (Two .75" G. rosea, Four .5" Lasiodora itabunae and one .5" LP along with two 2" P. cancerides) and I have a question regarding humidity. I've never kept any Ts this small before so I did what I normally did for the first two LIs enclosures (which are the small 2 oz condiment containers), I sprayed them with a spray bottle and then wiped down some of the sides so there isn't a whole ton of droplets everywhere. For the other thee Lasiodora slings, I took a 16 oz contained sprayed it down a bit then placed the 2 oz enclosures in there. Which one is the better way to do it? Spray inside the enclosure every day? Should I also prekill pinheads for them too?

With the two larger G. rosea, since they're a drier species, I just kept the sub moist (since they're slings as well) and am thinking about misting once or twice a week? I'm also keeping these ones in 16 oz containers since they're a bit bigger
And then with the Phormics, I was just going to spray them whenever I feed them and keep a waterbowl filled at all times for all the larger slings.

Photos of enclosures: (are there enough ventilation holes for them as well?)
image1[1].jpeg image2[1].jpeg image3[1].jpeg

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
keep the grammies and the lasiodoras on the dry side and provide a water dish. Ts cant drown, so dont worry. for the phomics, keep them moist with a water dish. a water dish is a great back up humidity source if you forget to water. misting is pretty useless, not much gets in the sub. just pour a small container of water in the cages instead of misting. its much more efficient. id add more vent holes as well, heat up a small screwdriver or carpenter nail and poke slightly larger holes in the cages, more holes would be good too. even as slings, grammostola sp. dont need it very moist. very slightly damp sub ad a small water dish is perfect. water bottle caps are fine. also, why are all the cages in that larger container? i can see its wet in there, is that a attempt to boost humidity? if so, its pretty useless.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
keep the grammies and the lasiodoras on the dry side and provide a water dish. Ts cant drown, so dont worry. for the phomics, keep them moist with a water dish. a water dish is a great back up humidity source if you forget to water. misting is pretty useless, not much gets in the sub. just pour a small container of water in the cages instead of misting. its much more efficient. id add more vent holes as well, heat up a small screwdriver or carpenter nail and poke slightly larger holes in the cages, more holes would be good too. even as slings, grammostola sp. dont need it very moist. very slightly damp sub ad a small water dish is perfect. water bottle caps are fine. also, why are all the cages in that larger container? i can see its wet in there, is that a attempt to boost humidity? if so, its pretty useless.
Okay! I thought that Lasiodoras are supposed to be a bit on the moist side though? I don't think there's enough room for a water dish in there for the smaller T's, but for the G. roseas & Phormics there are bottle caps. I'm a bit nervous on making the holes bigger since they are quite small, but I'll add more vent. holes, just didn't want to add too many so it doesn't dry off as fast.
And yea, it's an attempt haha.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Okay! I thought that Lasiodoras are supposed to be a bit on the moist side though? I don't think there's enough room for a water dish in there for the smaller T's, but for the G. roseas & Phormics there are bottle caps. I'm a bit nervous on making the holes bigger since they are quite small, but I'll add more vent. holes, just didn't want to add too many so it doesn't dry off as fast.
And yea, it's an attempt haha.
on second thought, thats kind of how some people boost humidity for egg sacs. i guess it probably works. id take it away, unneeded and does more harm than good for your rosies. well, a bit on the dry side, a bit on the moist side, kind of in the middle for Lasiodoras. i keep mine on the dry side, about half the cages moist, the other half dry with a full water bowl. yeah, adding more vent holes will have the same effect. over watering is the biggest killer of slings, so be careful. Ts can get through any hole their carapace can fit through.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
on second thought, thats kind of how some people boost humidity for egg sacs. i guess it probably works. id take it away, unneeded and does more harm than good for your rosies. well, a bit on the dry side, a bit on the moist side, kind of in the middle for Lasiodoras. i keep mine on the dry side, about half the cages moist, the other half dry with a full water bowl. yeah, adding more vent holes will have the same effect. over watering is the biggest killer of slings, so be careful. Ts can get through any hole their carapace can fit through.
Took it away, added some more vent. holes and wiped off any condensation I saw. I think that was the main things that needed to be done. Did you mean take away the water bowls? And yea, I'm a bit nervous, scratch that, really nervous about the smaller slings aha.

Also, should I feed the smaller slings prekilled pinheads? And since I got them today, should I feed them all tmrw?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Took it away, added some more vent. holes and wiped off any condensation I saw. I think that was the main things that needed to be done. Did you mean take away the water bowls? And yea, I'm a bit nervous, scratch that, really nervous about the smaller slings aha.

Also, should I feed the smaller slings prekilled pinheads? And since I got them today, should I feed them all tmrw?
no, leave the water bowls. i remember how nervous i was with my first 1/4" sling, but hey, if i could do it at 12, you can do it at 21. you could prob feed live pinheads and even larger, slings dont shy away from food. i feed live whenever i have crickets about the same size or smaler than the T. usually at about 1/2". i dont see why you couldnt try prekilled today. just make sure to remove it if not taken in about 2 hours or so. slings can pretty much be fed whenever you want, i feed my babies 3-6 times a week, as they grow, feed them less often. for your phormics and all others that size, about 1-3 times a week is more than enough.

Blackout14

Arachnoknight

Try them live if they don't jump on it within 20 or 30 seconds or seem to be running away I will crush the pinheads head and leave it overnight most of the time when I wake up they have eaten it through the night if not I remove it. A good way I have found to add some moisture to my dry loving slings is a blunt tipped syringe. Just push it to the bottom of the cage on the one side and inject a bit of water. I do this maybe once a week depending how it looks but it's not a lot of water maybe half a capful It will raise the humidity without providing damp substrate and won't stress me out as much as spraying them.

Last edited:

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
I would also try food today I only had 2 slings not eat the day they were brought home the rest pounce quick. I use small crickets not pinheads they take em down no problem and fatten me up and feed most of them 3-5 days a week

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've never raised my G. rosea slings to adult, w/moist sub, or spraying, no issues.