Question regarding hides

Benny8legs

Arachnopeon
I recently replaced my T’s hide the other day with a new cork bark one due to some slight molding, as I wanted to be safe. The original hide was a half log that she (a G porteri) could fit under very easily, and she took a liking to it and would hang out under it. She had done some excavating under it and scraped out some dirt even though she fit just fine.

The new cork bark is shaped and size md the same so I just replaced the old hide with it, but this new one is much lower to the ground, so she can’t fit. There is maybe an inch of room, probably less. Will she dig out the room if she wants to use it, or do I need to give her more room? I feel like there’s plenty of space for her to recognize it as a potential hide.

Last edited:

Ben Do

Arachnosquire
She will most definitely dig her way in if she wants to use it, mine did the same exact thing and made herself a large room underneath and a small entrance. If she doesn't do it soon just push the substrate down enough so that she'll fit, but they don't mind the tight spaces.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I recently replaced my T’s hide the other day with a new cork bark one due to some slight molding, as I wanted to be safe. The original hide was a half log that she (a G porteri) could fit under very easily, and she took a liking to it and would hang out under it. She had done some excavating under it and scraped out some dirt even though she fit just fine.

The new cork bark is shaped and size md the same so I just replaced the old hide with it, but this new one is much lower to the ground, so she can’t fit. There is maybe an inch of room, probably less. Will she dig out the room if she wants to use it, or do I need to give her more room? I feel like there’s plenty of space for her to recognize it as a potential hide.
The smaller the entrance, the better...they will excavate if they want to make room. Unfortunately, they aren't quite clever enough to add sub to their hides when their left too open, resulting in an often vacant/ignored hide that doesn't provide the same sense of security.

Heres a few of mine to give you an idea of what to aim for.

Benny8legs

Arachnopeon
The smaller the entrance, the better...they will excavate if they want to make room. Unfortunately, they aren't quite clever enough to add sub to their hides when their left too open, resulting in an often vacant/ignored hide that doesn't provide the same sense of security.

Heres a few of mine to give you an idea of what to aim for.
Thank you!
3F08B702-FD5C-4D26-88E6-8765F56EF6FB.jpeg
This is a picture of her new corkbark hide. She could probably squeeze under it if she wanted to, but her original hide’s opening was twice as high (it was one of those hubba hut things). Even then, she did some ground work, as you can see from the dirt. She is yet to start on this one, but I’m hoping she will :)

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Thank you!
View attachment 281721
This is a picture of her new corkbark hide. She could probably squeeze under it if she wanted to, but her original hide’s opening was twice as high (it was one of those hubba hut things). Even then, she did some ground work, as you can see from the dirt. She is yet to start on this one, but I’m hoping she will :)
Its best to incorporate the hide into the sub, partially bury around three quarters of the back at a slight incline...just leave a small opening towards the top. It cant really burrow or expand the way you have it placed currently.

See what I mean? Most of the cork is buried, and the burrow leads far deeper...makes for a nice dark hide.

Benny8legs

Arachnopeon
Its best to incorporate the hide into the sub, partially bury around three quarters of the back at a slight incline...just leave a small opening towards the top. It cant really burrow or expand the way you have it placed currently.

See what I mean? Most of the cork is buried, and the burrow leads far deeper...makes for a nice dark hide.
I thought about burying both of her hides but she seems to enjoy hanging out in the open a lot, and with the previous hide I used she seemed very content with it being set up the same way. I also enjoy being able to peek at her, and she’s not shy at all and rarely bothered so I don’t feel as though it’s an issue to her

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You have too little sub, you could have a fall injury and a T named SPLAT at some point.

Benny8legs

Arachnopeon
You have too little sub, you could have a fall injury and a T named SPLAT at some point.
:D

That picture is pretty unflattering... she can nearly touch the top of her enclosure when stretched out, and she isn’t fully grown yet (I know they grow wicked slow). She also only climbs when she’s looking for water, which she tends to forget is 6 inches from her all day lmao