Question on Hapalopus sp. - Columbia - Pumpkin Patch

arachnidsrva

Arachnoknight
Hapalopus sp. - Columbia - Pumpkin Patch

I have several nicely sized sub-adults.... how big do the MMs or MFs get?

I want to know how far away I am from breeding them !

havent even sexed them yet

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hapalopus sp. - Columbia - Pumpkin Patch

I have several nicely sized sub-adults.... how big do the MMs or MFs get?

I want to know how far away I am from breeding them !

havent even sexed them yet
LARGE or SMALL form is the question...

VinceG

Arachnobaron
There is a large and a small form of this species. I've been told the large one could get up to 4'', while the smalls go for about 2,5-3''.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There is a large and a small form of this species. I've been told the large one could get up to 4'', while the smalls go for about 2,5-3''.
Large and Small actually refer to separate species. Also, it's probably for the best to cut out the "pumpkin patch" stuff, and just stick with Hapalopus sp. Colombia Large or sp. Colombia Small.

This thread has a LOT of important information about these species:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?224191-Hapalopus-sp.-Columbia

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Most likely you are reffering to the Hapalopus sp "Columbia Large". Please know this is the correct name for them now. As stated, there is a seperate species called H. sp "Columbia Small".

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
In the large species males mature at 3-4", well ahead of their sisters.

If the OP's are from the same sac, or at all close in age/size, they won't be able to breed with each other. My general rule of thumb is that females should be 2 years older than the males to be able to get a good sac.

No tarantula is communal, just about all have had incidents of cannibalism in group cages in captivity. There's a lot of dynamics that come into play, such as disputes over territory and food, and individuals that hog food, grow faster, and intimidate their siblings (or eat some of their siblings).

What happens when there's recently-molted spiders in the cage, along with some that are premolt? Do you feed the hungry ones, and risk the prey killing the molting/premolt ones, or do you not feed them, and risk that the hungry ones may eat their molting (and defenseless) siblings?

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Poec54 said:
If the OP's are from the same sac, or at all close in age/size, they won't be able to breed with each other. My general rule of thumb is that females should be 2 years older than the males to be able to get a good sac.
This not true and you know it's not. This is your preference being spewed as fact.

All same sac(brother/sister) pairings with young females.(Yes, freshly mature females can also produce good sacs). ;)

Ephebopus uatman

Cyriocosmus ritae

Cyriocosmus elegans

Orphnaecus sp. 'blue' (Panay Island, Philippines)

Same species, female(sister) #2

Psalmopoeus langenbucheri

Haplocosmia himalayana (hatched with mom)

Ornithoctoninae sp. 'hati hati' (Sulawesi, Indonesia) (ex. Cyriopagopus sp. 'hati hati')

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
This not true and you know it's not. This is your preference being spewed as fact.

All same sac(brother/sister) pairings with young females.(Yes, freshly mature females can also produce good sacs). ;)

Ephebopus uatman

Cyriocosmus ritae

Cyriocosmus elegans

Orphnaecus sp. 'blue' (Panay Island, Philippines)

Same species, female(sister) #2

Psalmopoeus langenbucheri

Haplocosmia himalayana (hatched with mom)

Ornithoctoninae sp. 'hati hati' (Sulawesi, Indonesia) (ex. Cyriopagopus sp. 'hati hati')
Did you slow down the male's growth?

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Did you slow down the male's growth?
No, it is not needed with how slow I grow stuff. When they are not powerfed and grown slowly, they mature at the same time typically. Only exception in the above examples is sp. 'hati hati' in which the female was acquired as a sub-adult from a friend who grows stuff at a faster rate than I do. I have slowed males growth down only when I have acquired males from other sources at the juvenile/sub-adult stage and are bigger than the females in my collection.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
No, it is not needed with how slow I grow stuff. When they are not powerfed and grown slowly.

Is this also from temps, in addition to food? How often do you feed your immatures? What do you consider power feeding?