Question on breeding for the first time

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been keeping tarantulas for a while and have been thinking: should I try my hand at breeding some time? By some time, I mean within a few years. However, my main issue with this is the fact that the average egg count of various species I've researched has been so high. I've been thinking about this for a while, and only have 11 tarantulas at the time, meaning I have some room. But how much room would I need?
Basically, is there a way to... not have as many babies, I guess, and which species would be a good start?
Sorry if this has been asked and answered before. I searched a few different phrases and didn't come up with anything, so I thought I'd just ask.

1hughjazzspider

Arachnoknight
Depends on which T you're considering making an attempt at breeding. Research whichever one you're wanting to breed and find out how big the eggsac normally is and prepare yourself accordingly. Also check the breeding reports on here as there's likely to be multiple reports on whichever species you decide to try.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been thinking G. pulchripes but the egg sack size seems a bit... large. Same with LPs but to a much larger degree.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I was worried about this too. So, the first T I bred was a dwarf species!
It's worked out well so far. It's a year and a bit, and all the slings (well, juvies now, I guess!) occupy the space of two medium shoebox containers. I didn't have to let em go wholesale, or give away or anything which is nice. I even got to watch them grow up.

Just something to consider when you start breeding.

Edit:

As for limiting the number of slings you get, you can let them cannibalize to the desired amount, I suppose. I'd suggest letting them cannibalize a little bit regardless actually, to hopefully get rid of the weak and "unfit" individuals.

Kungfujoe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Also look at it this way; your first time breeding may have a higher number of casualties because of inexperience.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was worried about this too. So, the first T I bred was a dwarf species!
It's worked out well so far. It's a year and a bit, and all the slings (well, juvies now, I guess!) occupy the space of two medium shoebox containers. I didn't have to let em go wholesale, or give away or anything which is nice. I even got to watch them grow up.

Just something to consider when you start breeding.

Edit:

As for limiting the number of slings you get, you can let them cannibalize to the desired amount, I suppose. I'd suggest letting them cannibalize a little bit regardless actually, to hopefully get rid of the weak and "unfit" individuals.
Thanks a ton for the help. That's actually a brilliant idea! I've never kept a dwarf species but I think I'll look in to that. As for cannibalization, also a great idea.
Also look at it this way; your first time breeding may have a higher number of casualties because of inexperience.
Depressing, but good point.