Question for C.sp electric blue

xzpat

Arachnopeon
Hi,

I need some advice regarding these species, rumour says that males are much colorful than females? Is that true? Also, in general males are the ones who molt quickly than the females right?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Based on the images I’ve seen, females are more colorful. Males are more colorful than other Chilo males, but they’re not as ‘vibrant’ as females.

Edit: Meant to say what @ccTroi said, males mature faster.

Last edited:

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
in general males are the ones who molt quickly than the females right?
No credible studies or observations have backed this up - myth. Usually, males mature sooner than females.
Molting frequency in slings is not a reliable indicator to determine its sex.

xzpat

Arachnopeon
thanks for all of your response, guess it is a waiting game for me

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Chilobrachys sp. electric *brown*
Blues are only on front, underneath and sides of legs and chelicerae. This is why you only see pics from one angle cuz from dorsal view (above view) it's just a boring brown spider. Lol
Males of this species have a typical Chilo appearance, not much different, if at all, from some other species.

I suggest spending much less on a Chilobrachys dyscolus Vietnam Blue that is blue all over:
FB_IMG_1533373072398.jpg

In captivity males typically mature faster because of equal conditions. If both sexes are kept at the same temps and are fed the same amount then the males are likely to mature before. If conditions are different then it is easy to have the opposite result. For example, in my communal many of the females matured faster as they were food hogs and grew faster. So in the wild if a female sets up shop where food source is plentiful and her sibling sets up shop in an area that food is more scarce, there is a chance the female will mature before him. This is especially true with faster growing species where maturing rates are not as spread apart. Also for females, mature size and max size are to different things, they typically mature about %80 of full potential growth. The problem is it's way easier to tell if a male is mature than a female, I think many hobbyists are unaware of this. So just because a female sibling is slightly smaller or a molt behind the MM, it doesn't automatically mean the female isn't mature.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I am currently keeping both species, the electric blue have the poecilotheria equivalent of yellow bands(only blue) under the legs. They are still very cool spiders, but for the price I would agree that dyscolus blue are just as good looking if not better.

Heres my AF fresh after a molt.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I love blue, and blue Ts. It's hard to believe that there used to be only 1 blue T when I started w/these animals. Nice pics guys!

xzpat

Arachnopeon
so in line with this, how do i make my slings mature faster in a room temp? do i keep other slings in a different part of the room which has a different temp?

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
so in line with this, how do i make my slings mature faster in a room temp? do i keep other slings in a different part of the room which has a different temp?
Yes, keep in higher temps and feed more often and they will grow faster. Same concept applies to manipulating growth rate of females vs. males.