Question Concerning over feeding

Dustynn89

Arachnopeon
I have recently come into possession of a tarantula that was significantly over fed. The original owner believed it was in a heavy premolt. I personally have only ever seen pictures of these cases and this particular species molts rarely, that being said I have come to the conclusion the rump looks like this due to a recent molt a month or two ago. I have not fed it in a week or two now.

My question's are, will these marks go away? How long should I wait to continue feeding? Will this affect or induce any early molts? I don't plan on trying to induce any molts faster, this was just a concern/ question that I had. Thank you in advance.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Firstly what's the sp. your inquiring about and may you provide pictures of the specimens mark(s)? It will really go a long way. I term heavy pre-molt when the abdomen is at its darkest coloration from the new exo showing under the old one.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
obesity doesnt really affect spiders the negative way it affects people.it doesnt affect their lifestyles much, the only bad thing about a fat T is that if it falls, its at much greater risk to itself than if it was smaller. if its a fat rosie or brachie, just lay off the feeding for a while. most Ts are extremely overfed, feeding a adult rosie a decent meal once per month is plenty. def need pics to see what youre talking about though.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
We need pictures and the species (scientific name please) in the event that we see something concerning that you might have missed yourself.

Dustynn89

Arachnopeon
It is a Gram. Pulchra (Brazilian Black) I will post photos of the tarantula when I get home. I inspected him/her and all seem's well other than the fact that it has a large rump. I greatly increased the substrate so that it's risk of injury from a fall is minimal.

Spiderbetes... funny. My father died from that man... :D

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
If I'm seeing things right then those are just bald patches from kicking UH, they are designed to come off when flicked at perceived threats. They also spread them around to establish there territorial boundaries and as a defense to ward off predators when molting. They'll develop a new coat of them each molt. The abdomen doesn't look that huge to me. As long as the specimen isn't curling its legs inwards and is eating normally I wouldn't worry too much.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
- The original owner believed it was in a heavy premolt.
- I have come to the conclusion the rump looks like this due to a recent molt a month or two ago.
- will these marks go away?
- How long should I wait to continue feeding?
- It's not premolt, nor is it overfed.
- They kick off urticating hairs from that area on their abdomen. Perfectly normal.
- The hairs will be replaced when it sheds.
- Keep feeding once a week or so. It'll get fatter, go into premolt, & shed.