Question about stains!

Serpyderpy

Arachnosquire
Hi everyone, new millipede owner here! I recently purchased a madagascan giant tiger striped millipede (no binomial name given) from Virginia Cheeseman who came with some segment damage but otherwise seems perfectly content and healthy. From research beforehand I knew that millipedes can often secrete 'toxins' when they feel as if they're threatened, which can often arise from being handled too roughly.

Whilst holding him to show my brother, he took a slip and luckily landed on my feet. I was sat down, so the fall was very, very short, but it must have spooked the poor bugger because now one of my thumbs and index finger is stained a brown colour. I checked him for damage besides what he has and I found nothing. I placed him back in his cage and he casually ate some dead leaves and then buried himself, which I take as a good sign! I washed the stain several times just to get everything off. My question is not really how to remove it, but more so, once I've washed it, does the stain sort of become, for lack of a better term, inactive?

I ask because in addition to this little dude, I have two Phodopus roborovskii (Robo hammies), one Mesocricetus auratus (Syrian hammy), two Therea olegrandjeani (Question mark cockroaches) and one Achatina fulica jadatzi (Albino giant african land snail). If I wash the stain with warm water and a lot of handwash as I have been doing, are the toxins fully removed, and the stain is now merely cosmetic? I am a paranoid and anxious person at heart, and I would hate for me to make any of my other animals ill by handling or feeding them when I have these stains on my, unfortunately, dominant hand. Sorry for rambling, but I appreciate any advice!

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I don't know how long the toxin is active but I'm pretty sure if you have washed your hands that much, it should be inert. I have handled other animals with stains on my hands with no ill effect.

SFA

Arachnoknight
Yes agreed I think once washed it's just staining. Glad your guy didn't seem injured! And keep in mind that sometimes they just secrete even if you're being gentle, and it depends on the milli too. Two of my giants are totally fine being handled and will immediately start checking out your arms, while the other one almost always secretes the moment I pick her up. To the point where I now pick her up, wait a second with her butt still over the enclosure, wait for the squirt, and then continue. Lol.

Serpyderpy

Arachnosquire
Ahh, thank you both! I washed it quite a lot and eventually I had to fuss my hamster but she seems perfectly fine so I think I was just overworrying again, sucks having paranoia issues. My milli actually seems like the sweetest thing though, I'm positive he's been looked after very well before he settled in with me! Apparently he was originally WC but I wouldn't be able to tell, he's fine with being scooped up, he likes to climb and explore on me, perfectly okay with a lot of noise going on and there has been no secretions ever since he took that tumble. Wasn't really sure which millipede to get as a beginner but I think I made the right choice!

Myra

Arachnopeon
Not a proper pede owner unless you've been secreted on in some way .. lol.
I think some people skin is just more sensitive than others etc. One of my pede has never secreted anything and the other two secrete straight away on being picked up even though they are quite happy being handled now. Millipedes are so cool to own so good luck and I'm sure it will be the first of many .... It can be a quite addictive hobby

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I have some Globular Millipedes; Spirostreptus sp. 1. Their secretions are no different in color but they are very pungent. My eyes burn when they secrete. I keep their enclosures open to air out after I have fed them or messed with them in some way. I have heard some of the stronger secretors can poison each other. Weird design. o_O

Serpyderpy

Arachnosquire
Millipedes are so cool to own so good luck and I'm sure it will be the first of many .... It can be a quite addictive hobby
Oh, tell me about it. Vying for a Vietnamese Rainbow Millipede already, and my friend in the Philippines is keeping an eye out for Flameleg sources since I hear they're quite rare now in captivity? I have some rainbows on my watch list though, told myself if the stock got down to one I could probably sneaky sneak one into my home since I have a spare enclosure buuut I'm not sure if the familiars will be too pleased that I'm spending money on animals that 'they don't see making good pets', haha. They have no issues with them, I guess they just don't think I should be spending a lot of money on them.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Oh, tell me about it. Vying for a Vietnamese Rainbow Millipede already, and my friend in the Philippines is keeping an eye out for Flameleg sources since I hear they're quite rare now in captivity? I have some rainbows on my watch list though, told myself if the stock got down to one I could probably sneaky sneak one into my home since I have a spare enclosure buuut I'm not sure if the familiars will be too pleased that I'm spending money on animals that 'they don't see making good pets', haha. They have no issues with them, I guess they just don't think I should be spending a lot of money on them.
I've heard rainbows can spray their secretions quite high in the air, though this could be a myth. While most secretions are not dangerous if in contact with skin, contact with eyes may lead to temporary blindness. Regardless, rainbows are a colorful, hardy species that are definitely worth the money.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I've heard rainbows can spray their secretions quite high in the air, though this could be a myth. While most secretions are not dangerous if in contact with skin, contact with eyes may lead to temporary blindness. Regardless, rainbows are a colorful, hardy species that are definitely worth the money.
In Orin's latest Millipede book he showed a photo of a millipede that had sprayed the walls. Not saying they can spray "high into the air". I can't imagine a millipede could spray more than a few inches. I have never seen it... but I guess anything is possible? But not probable. Do we need to start wearing safety glasses to care for our docile pets? :hurting:

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
In Orin's latest Millipede book he showed a photo of a millipede that had sprayed the walls. Not saying they can spray "high into the air". I can't imagine a millipede could spray more than a few inches. I have never seen it... but I guess anything is possible? But not probable. Do we need to start wearing safety glasses to care for our docile pets? :hurting:
Heh, that story is kinda doubtful. I don't own rainbows but a friend of mine does and they are very relaxed. I doubt if they will ever cause problems. However, there is a species of Rhinocricus (thick, brown 'pede) from Puerto Rico that can spray up to "31 inches in the air", which only makes me want it more.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
However, there is a species of Rhinocricus (thick, brown 'pede) from Puerto Rico that can spray up to "31 inches in the air"QUOTE]

Nah. I don't need a real life Sci-fi situation in my home. :eek:

Serpyderpy

Arachnosquire
Probably a good thing that I have to wear glasses then, although after a recent fued with the familiars I think I should put off looking for any more animals to add to my ever growing collection, haha. I care more about the effect of the stain itself towards my other animals rather than myself, but it is nice to know what the secretion can actually do, I'd rather not go blind for a bit. :dead:

Ha, maybe I can smuggle some of my collection around to my partner's house, seeing as his mum used to study Entomology.

Nah. I don't need a real life Sci-fi situation in my home. :eek:
I think you forfeited that right when you brought some of the most alien looking beasties in the world into your house, haha!