Question about sizes within Aphonopelma and Brachypelma genera

LailaQ

Arachnosquire
Hi, all. Like the title says, I’ve got a (two part) question about the sizes of the individual species within the Aphonopelma and Brachypelma genera. First: what are the smaller/smallest species within those two genera? And second: which ones are more/the most available? I’m finding I have a preference for the smaller T’s, but finding dwarf Aphonopelma is like finding a needle in a haystack (thinking sp mojaves and paloma). I prefer a max size of around 4””, and more slow and docile than not. Why are all the T’s that interest me so elusive???? (I promise, I did check the boards/forums/general interwebs for similar questions but found nothing/no answers. I don’t mean to waste anyone’s time.)

Thanks in advance for giving advice to this n00b. :)

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I think the north american aphonopelma are smaller. I could be wrong. I dont think a. Moderatum get that big

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
The dwarf Aphonopelma are not readily available and prices will be high. There are so many species who are not properly identified that it is tough to find them being bred and sold. However, most US Aphonopelma will top out at the 5" mark for a full grown female. There really is very little difference between a 4" and 5" individual.
As far as temperament and speed go, most will be on the slower side and most have fairly tolerant temperaments. However, that not only depends on species, but individuals as well.
If you are looking for a species who is hardy, slow moving and generally tolerant to normal interaction, and tops out out 5" for a full grown female, I would recommend Aphonopelma chalcodes. Those are also easier to find and are affordable. Aphonopelma hentzi and anax are other options.
All Brachypelma are in the 5" range on the smaller end, with some species getting bigger than that. They are also hardy and have overall tolerant temperaments. Availability and price could be a bit higher and the range of both is pretty vast within the genus.

LailaQ

Arachnosquire
Thank you! I have been realizing that I need to adjust my thinking, if I’m gonna be able to get one sooner rather than later, and not have to pay an arm and seven legs. LOL.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Thank you! I have been realizing that I need to adjust my thinking, if I’m gonna be able to get one sooner rather than later, and not have to pay an arm and seven legs. LOL.
First, I would make a list of the species that you want, that you can find, and are within your price range. Then, you can go from there to determine where they would fall in the size and temperament department and make your choice from the information you find.

LailaQ

Arachnosquire
Ha! Great minds—I just got out a piece of paper and sharpened a pencil! Exactly the thing I was going to do!

lazarus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Brachypelma schroederi is the smallest of the genus, it's max size is around 4 1/2 inches I believe.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Perhaps the solution is to just buy a sling. They grow so slowly that it will feel like you have a dwarf sp even if you don’t! :troll:

LailaQ

Arachnosquire
Perhaps the solution is to just buy a sling. They grow so slowly that it will feel like you have a dwarf sp even if you don’t! :troll:
I agree—and did it last week: I bought a large sling/small juvenile B. albopilosum and have already fallen in love with it. I hope it’s a female.