Question about Scorpion found in Oregon

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Firstly it's been a while since I have been on or active in the hobby, so I am a bit out of touch, but I have a question you all might be able to help me with.

Last night at work, we had a an incident that left me with a new scorpion in my collection. A trailer that originated in Bend Oregon arrived with an immature H. arizonensis stowed away in it. It was caught and brought to me for Identification and to remove it from the building for safety purposes. It's approximately 1.5 to 2 inches in length and I can only guess it came from Bend. Do H. arizonensis range into Oregon or is it a fluke and possibly came from somewhere else and happened to find it's way into the trailer before it moved on to Portland?

Olsin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Over 70 views without a comment probably means most don't have a clue......neither do i but Oregon is quite a way north of their established range so i'm thinking human intervention unless the truck was carrying goods that originated from arizonensis's range.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Over 70 views without a comment probably means most don't have a clue......neither do i but Oregon is quite a way north of their established range so i'm thinking human intervention unless the truck was carrying goods that originated from arizonensis's range.
Hadrurus spadix ranges into eastern oregon. Contrary to popular belief, oregon isnt all coastal rain forest, the eastern half is true desert, and many other species like smeringurus and paruroctonus are found there, as well.

Olsin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, fair enough ... but i think the question is whether or not H. arizonensis is found there.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
the possibilities are endless!

could be human caused or natural range, or new range due to previous human introduction!

we've got a similar interesting species here in Europe, Euscorpius flavicaudis which is found in Italy as
well as many many port areas around the Mediterranean sea, and even a port in the UK!
seems this species likes boats as much as your little Hadrurus likes trucks! :D

H.spadix and H.arizonensis are both very similar scorpions right? occupying similar habitat/eating same prey etc?

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So minor update on the situation.

The trailer was a brand new, first time being used, trailer. Delivered to the Bend hub the day previous to arriving in Portland. I have no idea where it was manufactured though, so it is possible the little bugger could have stowed away in it from it's point of manufacture. Regardless, I got a free Haddy out of it and it seems happy to sit in it's new home eating crickets and digging like a bulldozer.

G.Carnell- Yes they share the same habitat and their ranges even cross into each other.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
So minor update on the situation.

The trailer was a brand new, first time being used, trailer. Delivered to the Bend hub the day previous to arriving in Portland. I have no idea where it was manufactured though, so it is possible the little bugger could have stowed away in it from it's point of manufacture. Regardless, I got a free Haddy out of it and it seems happy to sit in it's new home eating crickets and digging like a bulldozer.

G.Carnell- Yes they share the same habitat and their ranges even cross into each other.
Check the make of the trailer. Should be able to trace the origin manufacturer and location. Lacking that info your rough guess is about half the long line and animal carrier trailers are built in Texas and the surrounding region.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Eh small little correction.. while their ranges DO overlap, you'll never find H. arizonensis in eastern oregon.

I'm pretty sure it came from southeast oregon.