Question about plastic Sterilite containers

Carrot

Arachnopeon
I purchased some Sterilite containers (a couple flip tops and some 6 quart shoeboxes) and noticed that they have a smell to them, which I'm guessing is from the chemicals/plastic they're made from.

I washed them out and it helped a bit with the smell, but you can still notice it if you put your nose in there and give them a sniff.

I've always used kritter keepers or deli cups so I wasn't sure if its normal for them to smell at all, and I was wondering if the odor could possibly be harmful to a tarantula housed inside of them. Sorry if this is a stupid question. :8o

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
There is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers, and I hope this is not one of them ;). Just make sure they are washed really well and it should be fine. Maybe spend up to 3 min scrubbing hard with soap and it should be OK.

Krazy Kat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use the 1773 flip tops and some times they have a smell.After I wash them and put some substrate in them I can't tell anymore...

Lucas339

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sterilite is all i use for my snakes and inverts. the smell goes away after a few days. its nothing to worry about.

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use a lot of sterilite for my terrestrials, but i'm about to switch them over to the Large 128oz and 190oz deli cups you can buy at Superior Enterprises. I think these large cups look way better than Sterilite containers.

Dan