Question about my obt

milkytokes

Arachnopeon
Hey guys alright this might be a dumb question but still.. alright so my obt sling has molted twice now and is doing really good, every molt she wraps her hide up in silk like normal comes out nice and big.

I rehoused the obt into a more arboreal type of enclosure and she webbed it right up like as in i cannot get anywhere near the bottom of it without destroying her web and when i made the enclosure i put a water dish in there. it got so webbed up that i couldnt refill the dish so i figured if i jsut left it in there it might cause mold.. so i had to take it out by all means necesary! lol but i wrecked alot of the web and how it was laid out and she was in a little hide thing and she comes out alot normally..

its also been a while sience shes molted and ok heres the question i wanted to ask!

ever sience i took that dish out she hasent moved out of there and it looks like there is no way out but i tried to cut out a hole for her to come out and it was really thick and it just pissed her off but i ended up making a hole i think.. kinda hard to tell but anyway the next day i checked and i think she sealed it off? im not sure... but im trying to figure out if she just in pre molt or something? and if i should be worried about her being trapped in her own web? incase that if she didnt seal herself off on purpose that if i should rehouse it or not..

like if shes just in pre molt i should just leave her but if i messed it up and shes like trapped in there i should do something about it? weird long question but if someone can tell me if slings can get trapped in there own web that would help me thanks :D

the actual question i was asking is during the end there... but its long cause i wanted to explain the lil situation i created :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
No, they don't get trapped in their own webbing.

For the record this species is fossorial and will burrow if given the opportunity...post some pics of your setup, you got me curious.

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
the actual question i was asking is during the end there... but its long cause i wanted to explain the lil situation i created :p
Please make paragraphs of your ideas. It is as simple as putting a line of space between a sentence or two.

For example, you could have put a line between your backstory and the actual question so people don’t struggle reading that wall of text so much

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
No, they don't get trapped in their own webbing.

For the record this species is fossorial and will burrow if given the opportunity...post some pics of your setup, you got me curious.
People like to push the adaptability of P murinus.. not my thing.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would like to see a pic of this enclosure too lol

But to answer your question OP no you don’t need to worry about them being trapped by their own webbing, they can make it and they can tear it down just as easily.

What size is your obt now approximately?

milkytokes

Arachnopeon
Please make paragraphs of your ideas. It is as simple as putting a line of space between a sentence or two.

For example, you could have put a line between your backstory and the actual question so people don’t struggle reading that wall of text so much
yeah i dont really use these type of sites too much ik it was hard 2 read but wat do u mean by line? like spaces

like this ?

But to answer your question OP no you don’t need to worry about them being trapped by their own webbing, they can make it and they can tear it down just as easily.

ok ill post pics and basically its a deli container that i get crickets in, its decent size i wont need to rehouse the sling forr a while i think, its about 1.5/2 inch molted a few times sience i got it like 2 month ago, and its about 4 inches of eco earth and i put some dried mongolia leaves i think there called upright and leaning on eachother and on sides of enclosure and she did not dig but webbed the freaking hell out of everything i cannot get to the bottom or do anything to it because there is such thick webbing everywhere, if i wanted to get to my obt id have to tear an insane amount of webbing up! i had to tear up a bunch in order to take out water dish i put in it originally sience i cannot get to it to fill it up lol

i shall post pictures later on today ill try to atleast if not tomorow forsure, and i think shes about a lil under 2 inch but i THINK she due for a molt sience shes been eating once or twice a week now never turns down food exept for after this thing i posted happened where it looks like she sealed herself in after i tore out alot of webbing to get to the waterdish

Yeah, its almost as if most don't realize they are fossorial...and then end up with a jack in the box OBT every time they open the lid lol. :rolleyes:
yeah in her old enclosure she dug a burrow, i gave her about 4 inches of substrate and alot of upright dried mongiloa leaves i think there called from a pet store where i went to go get spagnum moss, there really thicck and big and dry and long looked great for slings the guy who reccomended me them told me he has over 80 slings at his house and he uses them for most of his slings and it worked great for all mine, but anyway she did not dig in this enclosure she just webbed the freaking heell out of the enclosure its like a giant ball of silk and she moves between hiding spots she made, its even hard dropping food to her depending on where shes at

yeah in her old enclosure she dug a burrow, i gave her about 4 inches of substrate and alot of upright dried mongiloa leaves i think there called from a pet store where i went to go get spagnum moss, there really thicck and big and dry and long looked great for slings the guy who reccomended me them told me he has over 80 slings at his house and he uses them for most of his slings and it worked great for all mine, but anyway she did not dig in this enclosure she just webbed the freaking heell out of the enclosure its like a giant ball of silk and she moves between hiding spots she made, its even hard dropping food to her depending on where shes at

she also chills out in the open right at the top at bottom of the lid, she has even webbed the lid shut alot of times i have to tear it off to open it haha

People like to push the adaptability of P murinus.. not my thing.
well i added both i gave deep substrate and a tall arborial set up at the same time as i read they are both so i tested it out and the set up i had her in before she dug, this time she is arborialish it seems but she does have the option to make a burrow if she wants

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
@Venom1080

As I have often said here on the boards. P. murinus are not all a completely fossorial species as much as people like to say they are.

Although they are adaptable, I believe their lifestyle be it fossorial or arboreal varies on the different localities of the species. I keep many of the variants and from my experience think that some certain localities do prefer arboreal lifestyle to the typical fossorial Usambara/OCF/RCF.

Here is a video of some P. murinus in situ in Zimbabwe. All specimens were found in trees.

Also here is a video where you can see BCF variant found farther west from Usambara, Tanzania.

This one adapts burrows fairly high up in embankments and small cliffs.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
after i tore out alot of webbing to get to the waterdish
For the record, you didn't have to dig out the water dish. The water would have evaporated without causing issues. You would've been just as fine adding a new water bowl above the webbing (which will also probably end up covered in webbing anyway, that's how heavy webbers work), or adding droplets directly onto the webbing every so often.

Mold shouldn't occur in an enclosure that's kept dry and/or has enough ventilation. I could be wrong, but I thought this species preferred it dry, so a little water from a water dish shouldn't be enough to cause mold. That being said, a little mold here and there isn't as much of a concern as people make it out to be. I've gotten mold in my A. seemani enclosure and a few other enclosures before, and it's always of no consequence.

Finally (and this is more constructive criticism and not at all meant to be offensive, so don't take this as me attacking you), please try to formulate proper thoughts and actual sentences before posting. With so much writing, very minimal sentence structure, and a lot of additional and irrelevant thoughts thrown in as you think of them, it's rather difficult to read and actually comprehend what you're asking about. The more difficult it is to even understand what you're talking about, the more difficult it is for people to help you. I know I practically write novels on here, but I form complete sentences and paragraphs, so it's legible. Again, I'm honestly not trying to be rude so please don't be offended, but I truly believe that getting your thoughts out better (and getting straight to the point in some instances) will help us to help you as quickly and accurately as possible.

All that being said, I don't think there's anything to worry about with your T and I wish you continued good luck with it.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah, its almost as if most don't realize they are fossorial...and then end up with a jack in the box OBT every time they open the lid lol. :rolleyes:
My non-fossorial OBTs never try to bolt or throw threat displays. My current adult female is in a more aboreal set up and is calm as a clam.

@Venom1080

As I have often said here on the boards. P. murinus are not all a completely fossorial species as much as people like to say they are.

Although they are adaptable, I believe their lifestyle be it fossorial or arboreal varies on the different localities of the species. I keep many of the variants and from my experience think that some certain localities do prefer arboreal lifestyle to the typical fossorial Usambara/OCF/RCF.

Here is a video of some P. murinus in situ in Zimbabwe. All specimens were found in trees.

THANK YOU.

For the record, you didn't have to dig out the water dish. The water would have evaporated without causing issues. You would've been just as fine adding a new water bowl above the webbing (which will also probably end up covered in webbing anyway, that's how heavy webbers work), or adding droplets directly onto the webbing every so often.

Mold shouldn't occur in an enclosure that's kept dry and/or has enough ventilation. I could be wrong, but I thought this species preferred it dry, so a little water from a water dish shouldn't be enough to cause mold. That being said, a little mold here and there isn't as much of a concern as people make it out to be. I've gotten mold in my A. seemani enclosure and a few other enclosures before, and it's always of no consequence.

Finally (and this is more constructive criticism and not at all meant to be offensive, so don't take this as me attacking you), please try to formulate proper thoughts and actual sentences before posting. With so much writing, very minimal sentence structure, and a lot of additional and irrelevant thoughts thrown in as you think of them, it's rather difficult to read and actually comprehend what you're asking about. The more difficult it is to even understand what you're talking about, the more difficult it is for people to help you. I know I practically write novels on here, but I form complete sentences and paragraphs, so it's legible. Again, I'm honestly not trying to be rude so please don't be offended, but I truly believe that getting your thoughts out better (and getting straight to the point in some instances) will help us to help you as quickly and accurately as possible.

All that being said, I don't think there's anything to worry about with your T and I wish you continued good luck with it.
All of this. Every word.

milkytokes

Arachnopeon

yeah you are right, i jsut wanted to make a quick post though :p and actually when i removed it there was actually a little bit of mold under the cap but there wasent anywhere else and the eco earth is kept super dry i just took the bowl out and scooped a little bit of the eco earth out with the mold in it was only a bit but mightve got bigger if i left it there

also i do have to keep it pretty dry because even though there is alot of air holes i like to stay safe its not like an aquarium with a lid or a cricket keeper its kind of like a large dely container i used the small tub i get crickets from the local pet store they are great for small slings not too big but at same time not the best ventilation.. even though i have poked a bunch of holes in so i do have to keep it dry i had the water dish in there originally cause i thought if some mold broke out i could just remove it but it was not the case so eventually i had to take it out.. there was only a very smalll bit of mold under the cap, you couldnt see it unless u lifted it im sure if it was in a different type of enclosure a water dish wouldnt case mold

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah you are right, i jsut wanted to make a quick post though :p and actually when i removed it there was actually a little bit of mold under the cap but there wasent anywhere else and the eco earth is kept super dry i just took the bowl out and scooped a little bit of the eco earth out with the mold in it was only a bit but mightve got bigger if i left it there
A bit of mold isn't a cause for concern.

cold blood

Staff member

Although they are adaptable, I believe their lifestyle be it fossorial or arboreal varies on the different localities of the species.
I don't agree with this assessment.

By your conclusions, most New Yorkers are arboreal, cause large numbers of them live in high rise buildings, way up off the ground.:p

There are areas where P. irminia live in holes in the ground along roads, but they are no less arboreal because of this, they are still built like an arboreal...you could say this for many arboreal species.....yet they're still arboreal.

IMO they are all fossorial, just very adaptable and able to live in a huge variety of places in the wild...adaptability pays off and helps animals survive tough conditions (and expand ranges), which are generally what OBTs face in the wild. Their prolific webbing capabilities make these adaptations to many places much easier than many other terrestrial or fossorial species.....GBB shares this quality...and much like the OBT, is often confused for something they are not as a direct result.

Just the way I see it anyway.

They don't need to live arboreally, but they certainly can choose to if the situation dictates.

Arboreals are just built differently...from a physical standpoint.

Last edited:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I don't agree with this assessment.

By your conclusions, most New Yorkers are arboreal, cause large numbers of them live in high rise buildings, way up off the ground.:p

There are areas where P. irminia live in holes in the ground along roads, but they are no less arboreal because of this, they are still built like an arboreal...you could say this for many arboreal species.....yet they're still arboreal.

IMO they are all fossorial, just very adaptable and able to live in a huge variety of places in the wild...adaptability pays off and helps animals survive tough conditions (and expand ranges), which are generally what OBTs face in the wild. Their prolific webbing capabilities make these adaptations to many places much easier than many other terrestrial or fossorial species.....GBB shares this quality...and much like the OBT, is often confused for something they are not as a direct result.

Just the way I see it anyway.

They don't need to live arboreally, but they certainly can choose to if the situation dictates.

Arboreals are just built differently...from a physical standpoint.
But I thought fossorial was the definition of a spider that spends pretty much all of its life underground?

I have yet to see evidence of P. murinus in deep vertical burrows in the wild. I can only guess that they sometimes live like that due to behaviour noted in captivity. I know that is how my TCF & Usambara localities live, but not so much the others.

If anything I would say it is terrestrial spider with arboreal tendencies.

Pterinochilus murinus are certainly not built like your average terrestrial either.

@KezyGLA You've seen them do that in captivity too? Thought they just used what they could find.
If given the option of both substrate depth and lots of folialge i have noticed my DCF, UMV and BCF dont go underground.

Whereas my OCF, RCF, TCF will burrow.

Yes its an adaptable species but there is a lot of open flat fields of dirt in Zimbabwe and Tanzania. Lots of rocks to be burrow under. Yet in the videos I shared, these specimens chose to love off the ground. None were found to be living like a typical fossorial.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
But I thought fossorial was the definition of a spider that spends pretty much all of its life underground?

I have yet to see evidence of P. murinus in deep vertical burrows in the wild. I can only guess that they sometimes live like that due to behaviour noted in captivity. I know that is how my TCF & Usambara localities live, but not so much the others.

If anything I would say it is terrestrial spider with arboreal tendencies.

Pterinochilus murinus are certainly not built like your average terrestrial either.
Just because a species is fossorial doesn't mean every one of them lives this way always. Aboreals generally do live in a burrow with a tube web as slings . Except avics ive not seen burrow, not that they can’t.
I’ve not kept enough species to say but obt slings are usually fossorial, adults ehh who knows.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Just because a species is fossorial doesn't mean every one of them lives this way always. Aboreals generally do live in a burrow with a tube web as slings . Except avics ive not seen burrow, not that they can’t.
I’ve not kept enough species to say but obt slings are usually fossorial, adults ehh who knows.
I’m talking about adult specimens living in trees. I dont see how arboreal spider living in burrows when young is relevant. P. murinus also live in burrows when young. o_O

Avics live in holes in trees. Exactly liKe the p. murinus in the first video i shared.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I’m talking about adult specimens living in trees. I dont see how arboreal spider living in burrows when young is relevant. P. murinus also live in burrows when young. o_O

Avics live in holes in trees. Exactly lile the p. murinus in the first video i shared.
Off topic oops, I just mean lots of species can’t be classified as just one typeS.
In wild most Ts will burrow at some point.
my last obt before it somehow broke a fang and died. It’s cage was set up terrestrial but it lived aboreal off the ground like a Gbb. It did not have room to fall no idea how broke fang was small female around 3.5-4”.
Very depressing wish I had more old worlds.

I had no idea it was even sick , it had water so bizarre . Half the obt I had lived in a burrow rest were aboreal, I have zero right now as most were all males but 1.
It seemed like overly small for a obt.

Last edited:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
All I am saying is that they are not typically fossorial.

Haplopelma sp.
Orphnaecus sp.
Ornithoctonus sp.

These are fossorials found in deep burrows into the ground. Which is not the case with murinus.

As for other Pterinochilus, such as chordatus and lugardi, these are definitely fossorial.

Last edited: