Question about Dubia Roach

discord

Arachnopeon
Today I received a shipment in of Dubia Roaches as a feeder for my lizards. I am not too knowledgeable about insects and I saw something strange coming out one of the females, my best guess is that they are eggs? :confused: Is this correct?
Here are a few pictures I took.

Thanks! {D {D

Bulldog08

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dubias give live birth. It is the ootheca. From my understanding they flip it for better incubation. It will then draw it back in until they are ready to give birth.

discord

Arachnopeon
Ok thats right, I remember reading that now and I went back to look for it and it was not there! Thanks for the info my wife was a little freaked out!

Last edited:

discord

Arachnopeon
Two real quick questions. How long does it take them to give birth? Also I read that they breed faster at higher temperatures, and I am trying to figure out how to keep them warm. I have them in my closet, I don't think any heating pads or stick on heaters will do well because they are in a rubbermaid 20 gallon container. I am thinking the best way to keep them hot is with a heat emitter. Does anyone have any better ideas? Thanks!

Bulldog08

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I used a stick on heat mat with mine. Just keep it on one side of the cage so they can move to the cool side if they want. Also make sure you have some air flow on the bottom, otherwise heat can build up and you could have a problem.