Question about cornsnakes

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Since I will not have my tarantula collection for quite some time, I am thinking about getting a cornsnake or 2. Please tell me everything you know about cornsnakes. Things like do they bite or not and their responses to human care are especially good. Thanx.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't actually have one. Friend of mine does, though. I DO have kingsnakes, and from everything I can tell, they're pretty close to the same thing in terms of care.

Very calm, won't bite unless you don't handle it or provoke it, and doesn't really have any problems eatting.

About the provoking thing...The only time my friends' snake bit anyone is when it managed to escape and his sister found it OUTSIDE by accidently stepping on it. Snake was ok, but it drew blood on her.

I'm not 100% sure, but since he's also had a few escape attempts, I'm assuming they're pretty active...Meaning you need to keep the lid latched down tight or weight it down.

http://www.cornsnake.net/new/care.php3

In a search for a care sheet, I came across an awesome picture....If you get a corn snake, you should get this one :p

http://www.cornsnakes.net/gallery/gallery.php3?id=61

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Corns are one of the easiest to care for snakes out there. They do have individual personalities, though most are easy to handle and rarely bite. The few times when a bite would be most likely to take place would be feeding time, if you smell like food, and if they're scared. Otherwise, they're pretty easy going. They eat really well most of the time from my experiences, also. I have one that's extremely picky about his food, but the others eat most anything I put in front of them. I find the forums at http://www.cornsnakes.com to be helpful when I need to know something.

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most has been covered already but I'll chime in.

Super easy to keep.

Great feeders.

As good a temperment as it gets very rare to find a biter.

Easy to breed.

Fast growing.

Easy to manage and house as adult size is in the 4 to 5 foot range 5 being big. Some monsters can go nearly 6 but this is very rare nowadays as they are bred more for color than size.

One of if not the best pet snakes out there.

Phil

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah, they have covered a lot already, but I will reccomend some reading, which I almost consider required to have in your library.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...103-8633044-6359860?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Get that book, and it will be a good reference before you buy. It should teach you everything. Bill and Kathy Love are very popular snake breeders. Famous for their work with Corn Snakes.

So sift through that book, and you should pick out some interesting facts.

Also, if you decide not to get a corn, there are a few other books in the same series on other animals. But I doubt you will decide against a corn. They are great pets. Just make sure you have a tight cage top, or they will escape, and sometimes finding them is impossible. Ive had countless escapes, but ive always found them. I get kinda nervous after the second day.

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have never seen a sweeter snake, personality wise.....
But they are escape artist, as mentioned. That's how I lost one of mine. Never found it :( .
My father actually TRIED to provoke it on several occasions to bite, and it never even offered to act threatening. My black and white corn snake on the other hand, bit one of the pet shop people before I bought her. But I am convinced she forgot to wash her hands before reaching into the cage. It was also gentle as a kitten while it was in my care.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the only time the cornsnake I had tried to bite me was when it got stuck in a ventilation hole in its enclosure and I had to cut the pieces off from around it. it was hissing, striking and it finally musked also.
Ed