question about breeding

Wormtail39

Arachnoknight
So i have a question about breading... i am new to the hobby only have 1 t and its a b. albiceps sling, i got into the hobby through t youtubers like darkden. I see in their videos and people on here that breading is not just for breaders and petshops-- hobyists do it aswell, my question is what do you guys do with all those hundreds of slings? I assume attempt to sell them and such? are u really able to reliably get rid of em all? how big is the chance u could end up stuck with hundreds of slings.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Wholesale the bulk of them to one of the larger sellers and keep some for themselves, at least that's what I plan on doing if I'm successful with my first project anyway.

Wormtail39

Arachnoknight
Wholesale the bulk of them to one of the larger sellers and keep some for themselves, at least that's what I plan on doing if I'm successful with my first project anyway.
oh fair play what are you planning on breading is it generally good money? is it a starter species u are gonna bread?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
oh fair play what are you planning on breading is it generally good money? is it a starter species u are gonna bread?
Caribena versicolor (supposed to be an easy starter project), and I wouldn't think so unless you're breeding lots of expensive species, it's just a quick and easy way to get rid of them.

Wormtail39

Arachnoknight
Caribena versicolor (supposed to be an easy starter project), and I wouldn't think so unless you're breeding lots of expensive species, it's just a quick and easy way to get rid of them.
fair enough well if my sling turns out to be male no point sending him off for a breading loan then haha

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
id probs make a proffit on that? i got the sling for 9 quid so a mature b. albiceps probs go for around 20?
There would be no profit. By the time it has reached maturity, you have to factor in the cost of feeders, substrate, enclosures, time for care. There are alot of factors, but from 9 to 20 over a few years is not a profit.

Don’t get me wrong though, you can make profit breeding, but it will depend on the species.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
id probs make a proffit on that? i got the sling for 9 quid so a mature b. albiceps probs go for around 20?
Not really about profit (once you factor in time/upkeep), it's just that I get to recoup some money and the male (hopefully) gets to dip his dong-digits.

Wormtail39

Arachnoknight
Not really about profit (once you factor in time/upkeep), it's just that I get to recoup some money and the male (hopefully) gets to dip his dong-digits.
oh no obviously not a literal proffit, i meant i could sell him for more than i originally bought him for lol 4 or 5 years of growth feeding care everything for 10 quid is not a good buisiness model lol i cant see myself selling my t anyways maby lend him for a breading loan if worse comes to worst and it sexes out male

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
I think you are confused bro.... im talking about applying bread crumbs to my tarantula.... what are you talking about?
Personally I prefer panko bread crumbs for my spiders, but I know some people have had good results with Italian bread crumbs.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Personally I prefer panko bread crumbs for my spiders, but I know some people have had good results with Italian bread crumbs.
I'm glad somebody said it. I read this thread earlier in the morning and all I could think about was breading. Which isn't good for me to do bc I have Celiac Disease. Thankfully there is such a thing as Gluten-Free breadcrumbs. That's what I'm having on my porkchop tonight.

cold blood

Staff member
I'm glad somebody said it. I read this thread earlier in the morning and all I could think about was breading. Which isn't good for me to do bc I have Celiac Disease. Thankfully there is such a thing as Gluten-Free breadcrumbs. That's what I'm having on my porkchop tonight.
mmmm, breaded pork chops, one of my all-time favorites :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So i have a question about breading... i am new to the hobby only have 1 t and its a b. albiceps sling, i got into the hobby through t youtubers like darkden. I see in their videos and people on here that breading is not just for breaders and petshops-- hobyists do it aswell, my question is what do you guys do with all those hundreds of slings? I assume attempt to sell them and such? are u really able to reliably get rid of em all? how big is the chance u could end up stuck with hundreds of slings.
Breed the "right" species, and you could have over a thousand all for yourself.