1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about breeding

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Wormtail39, May 13, 2019.

1. Wormtail39

Wormtail39 Arachnosquire Active Member

london
    Advertisement
    So i have a question about breading... i am new to the hobby only have 1 t and its a b. albiceps sling, i got into the hobby through t youtubers like darkden. I see in their videos and people on here that breading is not just for breaders and petshops-- hobyists do it aswell, my question is what do you guys do with all those hundreds of slings? I assume attempt to sell them and such? are u really able to reliably get rid of em all? how big is the chance u could end up stuck with hundreds of slings.

2. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

Wholesale the bulk of them to one of the larger sellers and keep some for themselves, at least that's what I plan on doing if I'm successful with my first project anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wormtail39

london
    oh fair play what are you planning on breading is it generally good money? is it a starter species u are gonna bread?

4. The Grym Reaper

Caribena versicolor (supposed to be an easy starter project), and I wouldn't think so unless you're breeding lots of expensive species, it's just a quick and easy way to get rid of them.

5. Wormtail39

london
    fair enough well if my sling turns out to be male no point sending him off for a breading loan then haha

6. The Grym Reaper

I just sell my mature males tbh

7. Wormtail39

london
    id probs make a proffit on that? i got the sling for 9 quid so a mature b. albiceps probs go for around 20?

8. jrh3

jrh3 Knights of The Arachno Table Arachnosupporter

There would be no profit. By the time it has reached maturity, you have to factor in the cost of feeders, substrate, enclosures, time for care. There are alot of factors, but from 9 to 20 over a few years is not a profit.

Don’t get me wrong though, you can make profit breeding, but it will depend on the species.

9. The Grym Reaper

Not really about profit (once you factor in time/upkeep), it's just that I get to recoup some money and the male (hopefully) gets to dip his dong-digits.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Wormtail39

london
    oh no obviously not a literal proffit, i meant i could sell him for more than i originally bought him for lol 4 or 5 years of growth feeding care everything for 10 quid is not a good buisiness model lol i cant see myself selling my t anyways maby lend him for a breading loan if worse comes to worst and it sexes out male

• Like Like x 1
  11. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

brEEding...breading is used in cooking.

• Funny Funny x 6
  12. Wormtail39

london
    I think you are confused bro.... im talking about applying bread crumbs to my tarantula.... what are you talking about?

• Funny Funny x 5
  13. Rigor Mortis

Rigor Mortis Arachnosquire Active Member

Personally I prefer panko bread crumbs for my spiders, but I know some people have had good results with Italian bread crumbs.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist Arachnosupporter

I'm glad somebody said it. I read this thread earlier in the morning and all I could think about was breading. Which isn't good for me to do bc I have Celiac Disease. Thankfully there is such a thing as Gluten-Free breadcrumbs. That's what I'm having on my porkchop tonight.

• Love Love x 1
  15. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

mmmm, breaded pork chops, one of my all-time favorites :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  16. velvetundergrowth

velvetundergrowth Lobopro Arachnosupporter

Be careful - breading spiders can often have delicious consequences...

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Breed the "right" species, and you could have over a thousand all for yourself.

• Funny Funny x 1