Question about Black Widow venom => priapism

Nekronomikon

Arachnopeon
So, this may sound like a very weird question, therefore I'll first introduce why I'm asking it. I'm a Belgian writer of horror fiction and in my next piece I want to write about the black widow. I have read that there is a particular species which can cause a painful erections or priapism (Brazilian wander spider, I think it is). From what I read online, there seem to be three cases known in which a black widow bite caused priapism, with victims being children if I'm not mistaken. So, very uncommon, but not impossible. Now, my question is, as far as the symptoms go for a black widow bite, is it possible for a full grown man to still have an erection? I'm not necessarily talking about priapism (although I'm curious if such a thing is likely), but rather about the possibility for a man to still being sexually aroused (including erection) after being bitten and suffering from the typical symptoms.

Although it may all sound a little weird, I'm hoping for serious answers ladies and gents :).

Tom

NYAN

Arachnoking
is it possible for a full grown man to still have an erection? I'm not necessarily talking about priapism (although I'm curious if such a thing is likely), but rather about the possibility for a man to still being sexually aroused (including erection) after being bitten and suffering from the typical symptoms.
No? Unless the person is into muscle cramps, sweating, nausea and pain, I don’t see how being bitten by a Latrodectus sp. is sexually arousing.

Drea

Arachnosquire
I was bit by a western black widow about 4 years ago which is nothing compared to getting bit by a Brazilian wandering spider. I will gladly share my experience with you if you wish, but I am not sure it is the angle you are going for. You may judge that.

As far as getting bit by the spider you are questioning, the answer is yes. The same effects that would happen to a child could easily happen to an adult male, although the venom is likely to kill a small child and not as likely with adult. However, there are other factors to consider when someone has been bitten by anything venomous such as over health, weight, chemistry, allergies, location of the bite, ( near a large blood pumping vein or top of the calf), how much venom was injected, and the medical treatment that is available that will also play a huge role in an unknown variable when any one is bitten.

I hope that helps.

No? Unless the person is into muscle cramps, sweating, nausea and pain, I don’t see how being bitten by a Latrodectus sp. is sexually arousing.

OP mentioned the Latrodectus, Phoneutria fera or the Phoneutria nogriventer. (Not sure which one of those he wants in his story)

He is right about the anything from Latrodectus genus having any kind of muscle spasms that could cause an erection of an adult male. A bite from that would do the opposite actually and you feel like you swallowed broken glass that has come alive and trying to cut its way out from your stomach.

A bite from the Phoneutria could have enough venom to cause a muscle spasm that is strong enough to move body parts in such a manner but unlikely and even if it did, there wouldn’t be enough movement to substantially complete very much at all. (Hopefully you know what I mean)

As far as feeling in the “mood” after a bite from any of the above genus, not in a million years. The Latrodectus bite makes you feel very sick and sends cramps throughout most of your body.

A bite from the Phoneutria brings even the best of best to deaths door. A person would not be able to do much besides seek medical treatment and even then, he would physical be extremely weak and be fighting death and not in the mood at all. So the muscles may move on their own without being in the “moment” but not enough to complete more then a sentence in your book.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm a Belgian writer of horror fiction and in my next piece I want to write about the black widow.
But the 'Black Widow' was already a subject for hundreds and hundreds of stories/narrative, it's a clichè my friend :pompous:

Now a good story would be the one rotating around a psychotic humanoid, registered sex offender, that for living is a electric cars driving instructor in one of those European eco-green cities of the future, until the point where he encounter a midget (mind, he was normal, before having his legs sawed-off for better perform 'The Turk' by a EU Bruxelles top politician) and they start to keep T's together and dreaming about everything, until the point when one day, all of a sudden, both commit suicide in Red Hook, Brooklyn, in the same hood where H. P. Lovecraft lived.

Now clearly I need to work a bit on this subject, but it's already filled with a touch of melancholy, a 'delicate' one, not vulgar and 'screamed'.

What do you think? :)

Drea

Arachnosquire
But the 'Black Widow' was already a subject for hundreds and hundreds of stories/narrative, it's a clichè my friend :pompous:

Now a good story would be the one rotating around a psychotic humanoid, registered sex offender, that for living is a electric cars driving instructor in one of those European eco-green cities of the future, until the point where he encounter a midget (mind, he was normal, before having his legs sawed-off for better perform 'The Turk' by a EU Bruxelles top politician) and they start to keep T's together and dreaming about everything, until the point when one day, all of a sudden, both commit suicide in Red Hook, Brooklyn, in the same hood where H. P. Lovecraft lived.

Now clearly I need to work a bit on this subject, but it's already filled with a touch of melancholy, a 'delicate' one, not vulgar and 'screamed'.

I will read it when you complete this story. Anything that ends in Brooklyn has to be good.

NYAN

Arachnoking
A bite from the Phoneutria brings even the best of best to deaths door.
I’m just going to leave this here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/10742722/

Anyway, to my understanding they are asking about Latrodecrus sp. bites causing someone to become aroused and only using Phoneutria sp. as a parallel due to the neurotoxin potentially causing priapism.

Oh, and also, I know it’s a technicality but not every Latrodectus species is medically significant. L. geometricus is harmless and I suspect other species like bishopi, obscurior, rhodesianensis and pallidus are also.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I'm not necessarily talking about priapism (although I'm curious if such a thing is likely), but rather about the possibility for a man to still being sexually aroused (including erection) after being bitten and suffering from the typical symptoms.
Anyway, to my understanding they are asking about Latrodecrus sp. bites causing someone to become aroused and only using Phoneutria sp. as a parallel
Let's compare latro toxin effects to a good solid kick in the head which also traumatizes the neurological system while specifically targeting nothing except purely by accident. Selecting that one specific autonomic response out of hundreds or thousands possible smacks of sensationalism.

If you want to cherry pick radical neurological effects try a somewhat more common one that also produces a sensational effect: ocular and vestibulocochlear nerve involvement. Projectile vomiting and occasionally convulsions can be quite dramatic.

Last edited:

Drea

Arachnosquire
I’m just going to leave this here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/10742722/

Anyway, to my understanding they are asking about Latrodecrus sp. bites causing someone to become aroused and only using Phoneutria sp. as a parallel due to the neurotoxin potentially causing priapism.

Oh, and also, I know it’s a technicality but not every Latrodectus species is medically significant. L. geometricus is harmless and I suspect other species like bishopi, obscurior, rhodesianensis and pallidus are also.

That was a much lower percentage than I would imagine. Thank you for that extra information. :(

That was a much lower percentage than I would imagine. Thank you for that extra information. :(

It was supposed to be a smile face. Just got a new phone. Ugh it will be years before I get used to it and then Si am sure it will just break.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Spiders eat other invertebrates and sometimes small vertebrates. As big 100+ pound vertebrates their venom isn’t terribly effective on us.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I’m supposed to be as nonjudgmental as posible. What you do on your own time is your business.
Wasn't @MetalMan2004 mostly kidding?

Anyway, I think this is the appropriate place for "the physical pain of vomiting and muscle cramps is nothing compared to the unsoothable pain inside my soul."

Nekronomikon

Arachnopeon
I'm not saying that being bitten by a spider should be sexually arousing. I'm just wondering if, apart from being bitten, a man could still be sexually aroused by a woman (or other man) regarding the symptoms he's suffering. For instance, if a woman - let's say, an nympho - is using the spider venom to overpower and capture male victims in order to sexually abuse them. That's the angle I'm starting from for my story... ;-)

I hope that helps.
Thanks, Drea.

I'm not sure about that, but it sounds a little cliche ;-).

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I'm not saying that being bitten by a spider should be sexually arousing. I'm just wondering if, apart from being bitten, a man could still be sexually aroused by a woman (or other man) regarding the symptoms he's suffering. For instance, if a woman - let's say, an nympho - is using the spider venom to overpower and capture male victims in order to sexually abuse them. That's the angle I'm starting from for my story... ;-)

Thanks, Drea.

I'm not sure about that, but it sounds a little cliche ;-).
See for yourself if a man will be able to become sexually aroused after a bite. And this is 'only' an OW P.murinus....

Or a P.metallica:

Nekronomikon

Arachnopeon
Well, this is a tricky one. From a certain perspective (BDSM-wise, where arousal is caused by pain, albeit in a very specific mindset) I assume it would be physically and mentally possible, yet very unlikely.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
where arousal is caused by pain,
It's a mistake to confuse a neuro-toxin with pain. Every square millimeter of the body has a myriad of neurons, relatively few of which are sensory nerves that report pain to central.

NYAN

Arachnoking
"the physical pain of vomiting and muscle cramps is nothing compared to the unsoothable pain inside my soul."
Tene is that you?

I'm just wondering if, apart from being bitten, a man could still be sexually aroused by a woman (or other man) regarding the symptoms he's suffering. For instance, if a woman - let's say, an nympho - is using the spider venom to overpower and capture male victims in order to sexually abuse them. That's the angle I'm starting from for my story... ;-)

Are you sure this is a horror novel you’re writing?

Nekronomikon

Arachnopeon
It's a mistake to confuse a neuro-toxin with pain. Every square millimeter of the body has a myriad of neurons, relatively few of which are sensory nerves that report pain to central.
Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't know that. See, this is very useful info.

Are you sure this is a horror novel you’re writing?
Horror with an erotic undertone (in Dutch). I know the question sounds weird, but I just cannot afford to do sloppy research and allow mistakes in my work.