Quaker Parrot

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
I have an opportunity to take in one of these birds, and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them. I've never kept birds before, so I'm in the research phase. I've always wanted a parrot though, and it's an absolute sweetheart in need of a good home. There will also be a cage provided, so this offer is getting harder to pass up the more I think about it.

I don't know the age of the bird, but I believe it is an adult, and maybe female? I've been doing some reading, so I'm getting an idea of the care they require. I'm mostly curious/concerned about how I will go about having a bird and a cat in the same house. I know it can be done, but again, I've never kept birds.

My cat is declawed on all four paws (she came to me that way), she's always been in indoor cat and as far as I know, she hasn't killed anything bigger than a house spider. Now, I'd obviously shut her in the bedroom when we had the bird out of the cage, though it would be nice if they could both have free range (while supervised) but I understand this may not be possible, I definitely don't want to risk them harming each other. Does anyone have tips on how to acclimate the two to each other?

I'm also wondering what location would be best for the cage. The options are the living room or the Chamber of Understanding (spider room/workspace for misc. projects). The living room is a higher traffic area, though we do spend a good amount of time in the Chamber. The Chamber would also limit the bird's interaction with Cat. I'm mostly concerned about which area would be best for it's sleep patterns, I believe I read they need a good 10 hours a night or they can get cranky. If I keep it in the living room, I'm worried that Cat might mess with it at night. The main issue with keeping it in the Chamber is I usually have one night a week where I work with the spiders from midnight until anywhere between 5 and 7 in the morning. Would keeping it up one night a week make it cranky? Would I just be able to cover the cage? (I've read mixed things about covering their cage) Do they like sunlight? I'm pretty sure I'd be able to have the cage partially in front of a window if that would be beneficial.

I'm sure I have more questions, but I think that's good for now. I'll probably find a parrot forum to post this on, but I figured I'd ask here as well because this is my safe space :rofl:

Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
I have an opportunity to take in one of these birds, and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them. I've never kept birds before, so I'm in the research phase. I've always wanted a parrot though, and it's an absolute sweetheart in need of a good home. There will also be a cage provided, so this offer is getting harder to pass up the more I think about it.

I don't know the age of the bird, but I believe it is an adult, and maybe female? I've been doing some reading, so I'm getting an idea of the care they require. I'm mostly curious/concerned about how I will go about having a bird and a cat in the same house. I know it can be done, but again, I've never kept birds.

My cat is declawed on all four paws (she came to me that way), she's always been in indoor cat and as far as I know, she hasn't killed anything bigger than a house spider. Now, I'd obviously shut her in the bedroom when we had the bird out of the cage, though it would be nice if they could both have free range (while supervised) but I understand this may not be possible, I definitely don't want to risk them harming each other. Does anyone have tips on how to acclimate the two to each other?

I'm also wondering what location would be best for the cage. The options are the living room or the Chamber of Understanding (spider room/workspace for misc. projects). The living room is a higher traffic area, though we do spend a good amount of time in the Chamber. The Chamber would also limit the bird's interaction with Cat. I'm mostly concerned about which area would be best for it's sleep patterns, I believe I read they need a good 10 hours a night or they can get cranky. If I keep it in the living room, I'm worried that Cat might mess with it at night. The main issue with keeping it in the Chamber is I usually have one night a week where I work with the spiders from midnight until anywhere between 5 and 7 in the morning. Would keeping it up one night a week make it cranky? Would I just be able to cover the cage? (I've read mixed things about covering their cage) Do they like sunlight? I'm pretty sure I'd be able to have the cage partially in front of a window if that would be beneficial.

I'm sure I have more questions, but I think that's good for now. I'll probably find a parrot forum to post this on, but I figured I'd ask here as well because this is my safe space :rofl:

Any advice would be appreciated!
Declawing cats is legal in the US? (I know you didn't do it). That's saddening if that's the case.

I've never done the cat - parrot thing but I've done it with dogs. Just not sure whether the cat's natural instinct will want to kick in. With that typed my dad's cats will unfortunately hunt wild birds but leave his chicks alone.

For me it was all about gradually letting them meet each other. It was amazing watching them get on. If not slightly unnerving watching Pandora a 16 week old Senegal parrot meeting Samson my adult male Bullmastiff who hated everything.

Over the next few weeks, months and years they built up a fantastic relationship. As you can see in the video Pandora wasn't intimidated and Samson was extremely gentle.

And last year after losing Samson I introduced Pandora to my new puppy. It was much easier on Pandora as she was now very confident. Obviously just had to watch Typhon. Typhon is almost 11 months old now and they act daft with each other every day.

Last edited:

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
Declawing cats is legal in the US? (I know you didn't do it). That's saddening if that's the case.

I've never done the cat - parrot thing but I've done it with dogs. Just not sure whether the cat's natural instinct will want to kick in. With that typed my dad's cats will unfortunately hunt wild birds but leave his chicks alone.

For me it was all about gradually letting them meet each other. It was amazing watching them get on. If not slightly unnerving watching Pandora a 16 week old Senegal parrot meeting Samson my adult male Bullmastiff who hated everything.

Over the next few weeks, months and years they built up a fantastic relationship. As you can see in the video Pandora wasn't intimidated and Samson was extremely gentle.

And last year after losing Samson I introduced Pandora to my new puppy. It was much easier on Pandora as she was now very confident. Obviously just had to watch Typhon. Typhon is almost 11 months old now and they act daft with each other every day.

I remembered seeing your videos of Pandora and Sampson, that was one of the reasons I had hope for letting my critters roam together. I love your videos, they're great :D

Unfortunately, the friend who was going to give me the bird says her husband is "too attached right now, but I bet that will change in a couple months." Whatever that means :shifty: I'm a little bummed out. I was definitely looking forward to it after the research I've been doing, and I know it would get more lovin's with me, because they have a small zoo (no kidding, lions, tigers, a variety of primates) and there are only so many hours in the day. By no means am I saying they won't care for it properly, they just have a lot on their hands.

Now I'm pretty determined to get a parrot at some point. Maybe wait until I don't work nights anymore.

EDIT: And yes, declawing cats is legal here :(