Q about p cancerides

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have already searched and there just isn't much info on the Haitian. I know they have blue slings, but what color stages do they go through? Right now mine is a rusty brown with purplish hairs on the legs...

Thanks

krtrman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
what size is yours at right now. i have several. they start out blue (til about 1 inch) then turn a dark navy almost black (until about 2 inches) and then they turn slightly more brown over the next few molts until they reach a weird brown color with purple highlights. the males tend to be more purple than the females. i have one that has some interesting markings on the "knees".

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mines at that muddy brown with purpley hairs :) It is pretty big, but I am horrible at judging. If I was crazy enough to set it on my palm, it's legs would hang off. Maybe 5 inch leg span and a huge butt.And the fangs.... lord, they're HUGE.

krtrman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
they are quite fiesty. at the size your t is at the color will probably stay that way. darkening before a molt. you know the drill. i dont think they go through any more color changes as an adult.

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hmm looks like I will have to get a sling sometime as I am interested in seeing the blue babies! You're right... fiesty as heck! Not really overly defensive unless I invade her space though. Thanks for the info guys!!

zahiro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
tomorrow I hope to receive a P. cancerides but non sling. She is some 2 years old.
then I will put a pic.

Is Phormictopus cancerides a Burrower?????

Last edited:

krtrman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
they all move some of the soil around a bit but no burrows per say. mine like to climb the walls at night. i assume (correctly or falsely) that this is their natural instinct to climb to the mouth of their burrows to wait for prey.

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Climbing is pretty much all he/she does at night. it's made an indentation in the substrate in the corner of the enclosure with a web mat. It just sits and waits until nightfall and then it's VERY active. Do you think I should keep it as a troppical arboreal?You know, keep the humidity high and provide some climing material? Right now I have moderste humidity and there is no climbing aids... so it just climbs all over the glass and top.

krtrman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i dont keep anything in the enclosure to climb on. i just keep the substrate high in case of a fall. the less to hurt the t the better. i just keep a full water dish and for the slings and juvies misting about 2 times per week depending on how dry the enclosures get. they dont like wet soil so i pick a side to mist so they have water if they need it. i would say moderate humidity is fine. i dont do anything special to raise the humidity just whats in the room seems to work just fine for them.

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
:) Great! So I did the right thing ! WHEW! Thanks for the info!! :)