Pyxie frog pictures

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I hope, unless my ears have deceaved me or something, but he seems to be hardy and very male in appearance. I just hope he keeps growing and reaches a solid 9 inches. I've had him for about 7 months even now, and he's right around 6 inches, when i got him he was a hair under 2.5. So lets hope he keeps it up, I still get frustrated after seeing adult Pyxies haha, I yell at him and say "eat EAT fatty, be big and strong"
Haha, I feel exactly the same way, I've had mine 6 months now, and he's gotten pretty big, but when I see a full adult male at an expo I just want to spend whatever it costs to have one that big right away.

Dennis Frogman

Arachnopeon
Like copper said everyone Ive seen is a female too,maybe the one male in the pic is older than the rest of the bunch.like I said the only one's ive seen look like that is goomba and ive seen alot of pyxie's.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah I know ive rarely seen one's that look like that what I assumed was a male.the only other one I seen that looks like the male in the picture was Goomba in your video when he's eating six fuzzie mice.
By the way everyone, heres the newer video (about a month old) of Goomba, doesnt seem like as many people have watched it compared to the 6 fuzzy one....but here you go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIeD4XjqJrA

Comments and praise welcome.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haha, I feel exactly the same way, I've had mine 6 months now, and he's gotten pretty big, but when I see a full adult male at an expo I just want to spend whatever it costs to have one that big right away.
Exactly, and I've heard so much conflicting information as to how quickly males mature. I've heard of froglets hitting 8-9 inches in a year, and some in two years. Perhaps the most, well, discouraging example is this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8TRusZddIw

Allegedly this frog was only 5 months old during the filming. The owner told me he fed him a small rat or decent sized mouse nearly every day and kepy temps in the 90's....So I really dont know. Somehow I'm doubting he was a total froglet when he got him, then again you never know

Edit: If I may quote the owner and poster of the video... "In the video, about 5 mo. Now he's coming on ten mo. I'll have a new compilation posted soon. My camcorder got ripped off!!!! New one is in the mail."

"couple little rats a day, or a larger rat every 5 days. smaller rodents more ofter make him take more dumps. larger feeding I stun first, so it doesn't bite him, and he'll sit there for about 5 days working on it."

...perhaps the supposed growth rate is legitimate, but I still wouldnt be so quick to feed multiple chordates DAILY to my frog, I'd rather dodge any risks and have him grow slower/healthier, idk.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Theyre a month apart, so the newest one is 1 month old, and the one with 6 fuzzies is 2 months old.
THIS JUST IN, in one week I will have a new video up of Goomba with an unexpected victim...it will cause a riot....get ready.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
one month from birth or one month from when you got it?? because mine is male and has grown at an amazing rate but was certainly not capable of 6 fuzzies at 2 months old. and I have seen the Fred video and find that amazing if that frog were only 5 months old. I asked how long he had it for but didnt get a reply.

nickbachman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just out of curiosity...
I was thinking about starting a forum dedicated specifically to the "big frogs." Pyxies, Pacs, Budgett's, Cane Toads, etc. You guys think a fair number of people would join?

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
one month from birth or one month from when you got it?? because mine is male and has grown at an amazing rate but was certainly not capable of 6 fuzzies at 2 months old. and I have seen the Fred video and find that amazing if that frog were only 5 months old. I asked how long he had it for but didnt get a reply.
I meant one month ago. So about 5 and 6 months after I got him as a froglet that was just under 2.5 inches

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just out of curiosity...
I was thinking about starting a forum dedicated specifically to the "big frogs." Pyxies, Pacs, Budgett's, Cane Toads, etc. You guys think a fair number of people would join?
I'd join. Sounds radical.

Dennis Frogman

Arachnopeon
Exactly, and I've heard so much conflicting information as to how quickly males mature. I've heard of froglets hitting 8-9 inches in a year, and some in two years. Perhaps the most, well, discouraging example is this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8TRusZddIw

Allegedly this frog was only 5 months old during the filming. The owner told me he fed him a small rat or decent sized mouse nearly every day and kepy temps in the 90's....So I really dont know. Somehow I'm doubting he was a total froglet when he got him, then again you never know

Edit: If I may quote the owner and poster of the video... "In the video, about 5 mo. Now he's coming on ten mo. I'll have a new compilation posted soon. My camcorder got ripped off!!!! New one is in the mail."

"couple little rats a day, or a larger rat every 5 days. smaller rodents more ofter make him take more dumps. larger feeding I stun first, so it doesn't bite him, and he'll sit there for about 5 days working on it."

...perhaps the supposed growth rate is legitimate, but I still wouldnt be so quick to feed multiple chordates DAILY to my frog, I'd rather dodge any risks and have him grow slower/healthier, idk.
Same here I want to power feed him but I dont want any health problems with obesiety.

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Wow, I was actually going to comment on "Fred" on here too, just because that's one of the most impressive looking frogs I've seen, but I had no idea he was so young and fed that much. The funny thing is that frog doesn't even look fat. I mean, mine looks much fatter relative to head size, and isn't fed nearly that often, the big pool of water and temperature probably play a big role in that. I agree though, I don't think I'd be comfortable feeding mine that much, especially not all rodents. It would be interesting to get another froglet (hopefully male) and try to duplicate those conditions though. I look forward to the next Goomba video, I need to get another video of mine up there, because honestly, Goomba looks lazy as hell when it comes to the roaches, mine will chase a large roach all over the tank when I drop one in there, he's more likely to the the sit in one place and wait thing with crickets and mice. I'd definitely be interested in the forum as well, we'd have to get all those other youtube frog video posters to sign up.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Pyxie wants me to feed my horned frog to my Pyxie! lol and yes Nick I will promise to be a member as soon as possible! including large toads in the conversation is awesome. I hope you do it.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, I was actually going to comment on "Fred" on here too, just because that's one of the most impressive looking frogs I've seen, but I had no idea he was so young and fed that much. The funny thing is that frog doesn't even look fat. I mean, mine looks much fatter relative to head size, and isn't fed nearly that often, the big pool of water and temperature probably play a big role in that. I agree though, I don't think I'd be comfortable feeding mine that much, especially not all rodents. It would be interesting to get another froglet (hopefully male) and try to duplicate those conditions though. I look forward to the next Goomba video, I need to get another video of mine up there, because honestly, Goomba looks lazy as hell when it comes to the roaches, mine will chase a large roach all over the tank when I drop one in there, he's more likely to the the sit in one place and wait thing with crickets and mice. I'd definitely be interested in the forum as well, we'd have to get all those other youtube frog video posters to sign up.
Well the reason he's seemingly lathargic is because he already ate a mouse and because the hissers have spiny legs...just wait till you see the next vid ;)

Dennis Frogman

Arachnopeon
Male or Female?

This is my larger pyxie frog thats been croaking lately,what would you guys say male or female?

(Click for direct link)

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If he's croaking, he is a male, only males croak. How old is the frog? How big? What do the croaks sound like?