1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pyrops candelaria (Lantern Bug)

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by JohnxII, May 1, 2005.

1. JohnxII

JohnxII Avicoholic Old Timer

Advertisement
    This is a parasitic species specific to longan/lychee trees (the native common name translates as "longan chicken"). A pretty pest which is a cousin of cicadas. Check out the needle like mouth piece which is used for piercing barks for tree saps. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. bugsnstuff

bugsnstuff Arachnoknight Old Timer

that is amazing!! how big are they?

3. JohnxII

2-2.5", but I've seen bigger ones at about 3". From horn tip to wing tip that is.

4. Randolph XX()

Randolph XX() Arachnoprince Old Timer

5. JohnxII

6. Randolph XX()

Randolph XX() Arachnoprince Old Timer

however, the other species Pyrups watanabei, the white one in Taiwan is protected
    but IME, they are not that rare in the wild

7. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Arachnobaron Old Timer

Now this is something to make me want to plant a lychee tree, complete with pests! :D

8. Dark Raptor

Dark Raptor Arachnoprince Old Timer

9. JohnxII

OK, another one from last year showing a few of them hanging out on a Longan tree trunk at night. (Yep I flashed)

Attached Files:

10. galeogirl

galeogirl Arachnoprince Old Timer

Wow, none of our crop pests are that good looking in Oregon. Thanks for posting the pics.

11. vespa_bicolor

vespa_bicolor Arachnosquire Old Timer

A couple of my own...

Also taken locally in Hong Kong. Sorry for the crappy quality of the group pic though.

12. David Udbjorg

David Udbjorg Arachnopeon

Denmark
    Hi There, I just came back from a trip to the Jungle in Brunai where I found this 3 beautiful creature. I know what it is, but not if this particular type is know, can anyone tell me how to find out?
    bugs 2.jpg

13. BimBim

BimBim Arachnopeon

cool i never seen those before :D

14. Bugs In Cyberspace

Bugs In Cyberspace Arachnodemon Old Timer