Purple egg crates?

OxDionysus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I ordered 90 egg flats from eggcartons.com and they arrived dark purple...I never seen them this color before and it's definitely not what i ordered...should I be worried? my roaches sometimes eat bits of the egg crates...and my Ts eat the roaches. Could this purple dye in the crates be harmful?

IMG_20120215_171947.jpg

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i wouldn't worry about it myself but maybe someone has personal exp with these

PitViper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have some blue egg flats, but havent seen dark purple, I also havent used my blue ones yet, I'm also curious to know if they could have an effect

Kris M

Arachnopeon
It would probably be best to contact the company and inform them of the mistake.
I would also be trying to find out what they were dyed with, this will give you more information as to if it is dangerous or not.

jonnyquong

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm inclined to think they would use food-safe ingredients, since they're designed to hold a product for human consumption. (Unless they're MADE IN CHINA)

OxDionysus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I do know though what might be harmless to humans can be deadly to inverts. When I lived in vegas they used pesticides at my work that killed inverts well but harmless to us. Had something to do with their exoskeleton makeup. I emailed the company about the crates and keep you guys posted

---------- Post added 02-15-2012 at 08:33 PM ----------

Just got off phone with the egg carton place. He assured me the color is just a food based dye and are harmless. Said they sell em by the trailer full to some cricket farms and never heard anything bad about the colored crates. They were out of grey ones.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Those are Wal-Mart egg crates. I use them with my crickets and have no issue. It's food dye, harmless to roaches and crickets and pretty much everything.

Be careful they bleed when wet. I found it out with my humid breeder tank.

SpiderNurse

Arachnopeon
I'm no expert, but I personally wouldn't be too concerned. Wouldn't hurt to know what's in the dye though, I guess.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
I'm no expert, but I personally wouldn't be too concerned. Wouldn't hurt to know what's in the dye though, I guess.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Food+dye

---------- Post added 02-16-2012 at 11:28 PM ----------

Commonly used food dyes, such as Yellow 5, Red 40, and six others, are made from petroleum and pose a “rainbow of risks.” Those risks include hyperactivity in children, cancer (in animal studies), and allergic reactions. In 2008, because of the problem of hyperactivity, the Center for Science in the Public Interest petitioned the Food and Drug Administration to ban the use of these dyes. The British government and European Union have taken actions that are virtually ending the use of dyes throughout Europe.

Theist 17

Arachnosquire
[/COLOR]Commonly used food dyes, such as Yellow 5, Red 40, and six others, are made from petroleum and pose a “rainbow of risks.” Those risks include hyperactivity in children, cancer (in animal studies), and allergic reactions. In 2008, because of the problem of hyperactivity, the Center for Science in the Public Interest petitioned the Food and Drug Administration to ban the use of these dyes. The British government and European Union have taken actions that are virtually ending the use of dyes throughout Europe.

What are the six others? Seems a touch negligent to not include that info. Not saying that you're doing that, but it'd be nice to know and have here.