Pure black pall python?

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I see plenty of albino ball pythons at the expos, amidst all the other crazy color morphs, but are there any that are completely black? I have seen some with more black than any other color, but they still had the characteristic python markings. Are black BP's possible?

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Maybe a morph.

I did some light reading after John Apples pink/albino/white scorpions whatever you want to call it and learned the lack of Melanin causes albinism while the over abundance of it causes black. I started wondering if this is how we make color morphs. Parents that either have or don't have it and it throws a fluke. Never found the question to my answer if it is possible that inverts have it. Stumbled on some documents that say yes and some that say no.

http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Melanin

Kloster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Maybe a morph.

I did some light reading after John Apples pink/albino/white scorpions whatever you want to call it and learned the lack of Melanin causes albinism while the over abundance of it causes black. I started wondering if this is how we make color morphs. Parents that either have or don't have it and it throws a fluke. Never found the question to my answer if it is possible that inverts have it. Stumbled on some documents that say yes and some that say no.

http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Melanin
Im pretty sure this is how part of it works.

Then theres the whole dominant co-dominant and the other kind of gene. Which is how you get hypo, trans, etc.

Im sure a beardie or leo breeder could tell you what theyre all about.

All I really know is that Beardie's mutations have been played around with for a bit now and created leatherbacks which have flat instead of spiky scales in their backs and also silkbacks which i have never touched but I think their scales are super weird with those, I personally dont like them, they remind me of that species of cat thats bald. Its like something is missing in them.

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Im sure a beardie or leo breeder could tell you what theyre all about.

All I really know is that Beardie's mutations have been played around with for a bit now and created leatherbacks which have flat instead of spiky scales in their backs and also silkbacks which i have never touched but I think their scales are super weird with those, I personally dont like them, they remind me of that species of cat thats bald. Its like something is missing in them.
LOL.
I keep meaning to ask how the bright hypos came about maybe next show I wont forget to ask. I know there is a lot to it but just neat that there are so many colors now.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All black animals occur in some species, but I've yet to see it in ball pythons. If you google hypermelanism (excess melanin) you can see examples of some species. In Australia some keepers have blue tongue skinks with this mutation.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes there is an all-black ball python. It is the super form (homozygous) of a cinnamon or black pastel. Breed two of those together (can even mix and match) and each egg has a 25% chance of being the all black super form.

Sunset

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
there is a ball python out there that's all black. Im not sure what they call it.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
there is a ball python out there that's all black. Im not sure what they call it.
Generally it's referred to as a super black pastel or super cinnamon since it is the super form (homozygous form) of either of those morphs.

aracnophiliac

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
wow I was wondering what that white snake with blue eyes was at the show was. Guy was to busy to ask but it was neat. That and the Piebald had my attention and I am not a big boa fan. :drool:
What a great site thank you for posting

Lucas339

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
super black pastels and super cinnys look black as hatchlings but fade to dark brown as they age.

JTC5150

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Try looking up Axanthic. I think that is what they are called.

Lucas339

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
axanthic aren't all black. they are black and gray and they too fade to brown over time. some of the better lines fade less.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes there is an all-black ball python. It is the super form (homozygous) of a cinnamon or black pastel. Breed two of those together (can even mix and match) and each egg has a 25% chance of being the all black super form.
Good to know. I don't keep ball pythons anymore so I'm out of the loop a bit. Those are interesting.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
N.E.R.D. used to have on their website a primer on genetics, with emphasis on snake alleles.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ball python genetics are very simple. All common base morphs are single genes and are either recessive or co-dominant. Basic high school bio punnett square stuff.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
wow I was wondering what that white snake with blue eyes was at the show was. Guy was to busy to ask but it was neat. That and the Piebald had my attention and I am not a big boa fan. :drool:

Blue-Eyed Leucistics are gorgeous, aren't they? The last reptile show I went to, a guy was selling two... for about $2,000 each lol. Very lovely! Piebalds are my favourite though :)

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Blue-Eyed Leucistics are gorgeous, aren't they? The last reptile show I went to, a guy was selling two... for about $2,000 each lol. Very lovely! Piebalds are my favourite though :)

There's a Canadian Reptiles Site and someone was selling blue eyed leuc BURMESE pythons...you don't even want to know how much they were...but I will tell you anway - $20,000.00 - that makes a BEL ball look pretty darn cheap, I'd say.

At the last show we went to (Canadian Reptile Breeders Expo) there was a pied, but instead of it being white/regular, it was white/pinstripe...that snake had a price tag of $10,000.00. I love pieds, and I'm really glad that they're dropping in price (the regular ones anyway)

As far as black balls go, I think they're beautiful, and if you guys want to see an AMAZING ball python, google Panda Piebald Ball Python...that thing is my desktop background on both my personal and work computer. It's one of the most beautiful ball morphs I've ever seen.

Cassandra

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
There's a ball python for sale on the link that was posted in this thread that with an asking price of $20,000.. I just couldn't do it!

But a blue eyed leucie Burm would be f'ing AMAZING !!

For the Panda piebald.. are you talkin this..

or

Those this one is listed as an Axanthic piebald

Now I am researching morphs again LOL