1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pupation of Dytiscidae

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by biggus dickus, Jul 11, 2018.

1. biggus dickus

biggus dickus Arachnopeon

canada
    Advertisement
    Hello, I caught a large dytiscidae larvae in a local pond. I have been feed it crickets for about a week and it had a hearty appetite. It stopped feeding today so I think It might be ready to pupate.

Has anyone successfully kept this kind of beetle? Do I need to do anything for it other than giving it some soil to borrow into?

2. beetleman

beetleman Arachnoking Old Timer

exactly.give it soil/moss very moist,it will crawl out of the water and bury itself there,it will make its own pupal cell there,acouple of weeks it will remain there without being disturbed,it will emerge from there,good luck i used to raise them all the time.very interesting to observe.

3. biggus dickus

canada
    An update, the beetle has successfully pupated. Can the adult be kept Like the larvae or will it fly around my house?

4. beetleman

nice, you can keep it in an aquarium,the water doesn't have to be that deep,alot of floating plants,and regular plants on the bottom,they do like to climb out and dry out aliitle,and then back into the water where they are most of the time,i would cover the tank,yeah they will fly around if they can get out. very easy to keep,and longlived. good luck.

5. biggus dickus

canada
    Ill house it in the tank I had the larvae in, 10 gallon aquarium planted with weeds I pulled from the lake. Ill add a piece of driftwood so it has something to crawl out on.

How long lived we talking? 6 months?

I have a juvenile lethocerus in there at the moment, probably have to seperate them.

6. beetleman

they can live up to 5 years not bad uh?,yeah i would keep them seperate,i would'nt trust either of them, some people have had success,better to be safe than sorry

7. biggus dickus

canada
    It has emerged! It looks like a Cybister sp. It is about 1 1/4 inches. Idk how to tell the gender.

8. beetleman

the males have small discs on their front legs to hold on to the female for mating,frmales ofcourse don't have them. awesome beetle congrats.

9. biggus dickus

canada
    Ya i checked and no suction cups so its a girl thanks for the help

10. MTA

MTA Arachnosquire

Make sure you keep its cage covered or could fly out, they're excellent flyers. Make sure you remove the lethocerus one will kill the other.