Public service announcement: Do not ship your T's to Fedex S&G lockers

Mentat Ix

Arachnopeon
Thought I'd share my recent experience with Fedex as a warning to others.

Fedex has a new service called Ship and Get self-service lockers. They are located outdoors at some Walgreens locations.

I've had two orders of T's recently that the shipper required to be held at Fedex for pickup. The Fedex S&G lockers came up as the nearest option to me, so it seemed like a no-brainer. The first time, I had my wife pick up the package and it went off without a hitch, so I thought nothing of it.

The second time, though, things went poorly. The package was "gaurenteed" to be dropped off at the S&G locker by 12pm. I had just finished a graveyard shift at work, so I was going around town trying to stay awake and waiting for delivery updates.

Some time around 9am, I got a tracking update that said the package would not be delivered until 3pm. Some time around 1pm, I got another update that said "delivery pending."

3pm rolled around with no more updates and I was parked at the S&G lockers waiting for the fedex guy. He hadn't shown yet, so I called Fedex customer service. They told me that they had no idea where the package was, and it should have been delivered already. They said they would call me back when they located it. I checked the computer at the S&G station, and it said the package was "en route to this location."

We decided to wait around a while longer, and around 3:30, a fedex truck pulled up. He got out of the truck and went to the lockers empty handed. I got out and asked him what was up. He said he was only picking up. I explained the situation. Turns out, he had tried to deliver the package early in the morning but the lockers were full. So, he put it back in the truck and intended to take it back to the shop at the end of the day. Mind you, I had paid for overnight shipping. He let me sign for it and take the package, though.

A few minutes later, Fedex customer service called me back. I explained what happened, and they told me the driver had handled it all wrong. He was supposed to take it to a different fedex location they were supposed to contact me with where I could pick it up. They said the driver would be "coached", but didn't offer to make it right. They also said that this happens frequently.

One of my T's died in transit. Fedex told the shipper that I requested a delivery change, apparently, so the LAG was voided.

Be aware, though, that even if everything goes right the S&G stations are not ideal. They are metal lockers outdoors, in direct sunlight. I can only imagine how hot they are inside on a warm day.

I'm new 'round here and I'm not sure this is the right place for this, but I though y'all might appreciate the warning.

Mentat Ix