Pterinochilus Murinus...

Corpload

Arachnopeon
hello...

will received my juvie P. Murinus around tomorrow....about 2.8inch...:razz:

heard it old world t's and highly aggressive, like dry subsrate...

any 'extra' advice with this species?

will be glad to know....:razz:

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hello...

will received my juvie P. Murinus around tomorrow....about 2.8inch...:razz:

heard it old world t's and highly aggressive, like dry subsrate...

any 'extra' advice with this species?

will be glad to know....:razz:
Well they do come from Africa , so yes , they like dry substrate . They like either terrestrial or arboreal . I would just offer it a home thats arboreal , but has about 3" of substrate in it . They're venom is pretty potent , like most African species . They grow pretty small . 5" at the most . They usually with alot of cases are fast and bitey , hence the name OBT . Hope that helped :)

Corpload

Arachnopeon
thanks for ur info...

yea..i heard it fast...me hv to be carefull with the cage lid...

i want to see true or not that this species is heavy webber....hehe...

first time having old world t's....

like this pecies colour actually...unique..

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They usually make these wierd web/burrow things . All I know is their webs usually stay really close to the ground . Ive been wrong before though :rolleyes:

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well they do come from Africa , so yes , they like dry substrate . They like either terrestrial or arboreal . I would just offer it a home thats arboreal , but has about 3" of substrate in it . They're venom is pretty potent , like most African species . They grow pretty small . 5" at the most . They usually with alot of cases are fast and bitey , hence the name OBT . Hope that helped :)
you do of course realize africa also has some fairly extensive rainforests, dont you? and that P. murinus has a pretty big range, allowing for them to be highly adaptable as a species.

to the OP, fast and defensive. dry with a water bowl. something to hide under and web up. if you have to transfer cages the bath tub, with the drain and other holes plugged up to limit escape routes, is a very good place to do it.

for way more information the search function will be your best friend. try searching for obt, p. murinus, baboon spider, or anything else you can think of that might be relevant to that species. youll come up with a lot of info, including some atypical behaviors and other tasty tidbits. good luck.

and just for good measure...obt can be orange baboon tarantula or orange bitey thing...since not everyone knows what obt stands for

Crows Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pterinochilus murinus..... such an amazing looking tarantula, that has an attitude like no other. It is more of an arid species, that, in my experience loves burrows/hides. It is a very low-duty tarantula to take care of, if you can kill an "OBT" from neglect I would never sell you a tarantula. It is not handable (of course there are exceptions...:rolleyes:) and is very defensive. Extremely fast grower, reaching adult sizes in 1.5 years approximately, give or take depending on amount of feeding, temperature, and gender. I wouldn't define its venom as 'potent' but it's bite is rumored to have more of a sting than a Grammostola rosea.... It will grow to be roughly 5", providing it's a female, although males can reach that size. I have once seen a specimen, female, at 6", absolutely stunning, although I have only seen one, don't count on it. Their lifespan is marked at about 12 years, although I cannot attest to that. Hope this helps.

Corpload

Arachnopeon
so..smallara, u own this species?

how is he/she now?....ever experienced on your own his/her aggressiveness?

you got it since what size?

jaymz: thanks for the info...yea...i do search google for the info....just need extra info here in this forum...hehehe

crows: yea..i agree..so amazing....hv unique color...can't wait to hv mine tomorrow...

thanks for all answers...

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so..smallara, u own this species?

how is he/she now?....ever experienced on your own his/her aggressiveness?

you got it since what size?
Never owned one . But from pics and care sheets about this species , I am fairly common with them . But I have never experienced it by myself , but im saying that because they do like dry substrate (ask anyone) and are usually aggressive . I know someone on here who has a OBT who likes to take strolls on him and let him handle it everyday , but that doesnt apply for every tarantula .

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol i should have been more clear and said search arachnoboards. the search function here will be your best friend in regards to getting information about quirks and unusual "things" that sometimes happen with these animals. google is great but will only take you so far. doing a search here will get you all the answers you need and many more you never would have thought to question. thats what i love about this site. good luck and keep us posted

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol i should have been more clear and said search arachnoboards. the search function here will be your best friend in regards to getting information about quirks and unusual "things" that sometimes happen with these animals. google is great but will only take you so far. doing a search here will get you all the answers you need and many more you never would have thought to question. thats what i love about this site. good luck and keep us posted
Good idea . Can we see some pics ?

Corpload

Arachnopeon
jaymz: ur absolutely right...here we can get direct answer and all about tarantula accordingly...thanks

smallara: pics?...i only receive OBT tomorrow...i will post it tomorow..hehe

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh I thought earlier it said "Just received" haha . Sometimes I read too fast :eek:

winwin

Arachnoknight
I love my obt, it's only 1.5cm or 2cm at most but it grabs food like a zombie grabbing a human down to a hole in a zombie movie. I don't see it much though, only when feeding because it webbed everything up and made a burrow, when i feed, i only see a black "thing" get out from the hole and grab the roach down. Lol hopefully i would see it more often when it gets bigger.

Corpload

Arachnopeon
helo winwin....

wow..about that size they already show agression huh....don't know what my OBT attitude gonna be, with size about 2.76inch juvie...

all will be answered tomorrow when i received my OBT...can't wait tho...hehe

how many species you own so far?

winwin

Arachnoknight
helo winwin....

wow..about that size they already show agression huh....don't know what my OBT attitude gonna be, with size about 2.76inch juvie...

all will be answered tomorrow when i received my OBT...can't wait tho...hehe

how many species you own so far?
It's only agressive towards food. Never gave me a threat pose so far. I only own 5 T's:
B. Smithi 4"
Orphnaecus sp. 2"
A. Geniculata 5cm
P. Irminia 4.cm
P. Murinus 1.5cm or 2cm

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
smallara: pics?...i only receive OBT tomorrow...i will post it tomorow..hehe
Don't mind him... he type's first before he reads.....

To the OP,

They are one of the most hardy T's you can ever own.....

They are easiest to take care off, not much maintenance needed...

the only thing you should watch out for, is attitude and speed...

be careful with these... as long as you dont handle them you should be fine....

Peace,
Armando

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are very tough. They like it dry. Mine seem to like burrowing but usually has its legs sticking out of a hole waiting for food to walk by. Ive read some will live without burrowing as well though.

They are VERYYYYY FAST. Be extremely careful as they take no time to run up over the side of their enclosure and across the floor. Mine never leaves his burrow so far except to grab food but I still keep my eyes open.

Use tongs for maintenance with these guys. You dont want to be sticking short tweezers in there or your fingers.

Other than the large amount of respect you should give this beast, its a very beautiful looking tarantula.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Another tip, try to house it so you don't have to rehouse it for several molts :D

They are insane webbers. Trying to get through the webbing to find the spider to rehouse it can be quite, interesting :D

I need to get me some more. Had 3 & they were some of my favorites. Can't beat the looks & attitude for their cheap price.

Corpload

Arachnopeon
arachnoholic, salamander, nikip: thanks all for the tips friendss...can't wait to have mine tomorrow..hehe

NikiP: yea, u absolutely right....i also thinking the same...to house this species only one time..give his/her big home, so don't hv to rehouse them when they grow mature...good2...hehehe...but only for aggressive species la..haha

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Everyone here is saying how aggressive (defensive!) P. murinus is. That can be true, especially if you agitate them and/or they feel they have no avenue of escape. They are just as likely, more likely even, to play skittish and run away into their hole.

Yes, they are fast and yes they can be highly defensive and yes, they have nasty venom. They aren't quite the monsters people make them out to be though, I have a couple of Ceratogyrus, for instance who are a lot more likely to bite me than either of my P. murinus. Ditto my N. coloratovillosus and my P. cancerides.