Species Pterinochilus lugardi

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well at least i think it is...But either way it is gorgeous. Molted a few weeks ago and I re housed him today.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Isn't P.lugardi a burrowing species? Or can they be kept shallow if they have a hide? Are they as aggressive/defensive as an OBT? Beautiful pictures by the way.

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
this T was a treat to move, no threat displays no running, just walked into the deli cup and walked back out into the new cage when i tapped his back leg with my tweezers. he even stayed still so i could take the pics. when i was putting the camera away he calmly walked into his new home(burrow) without incident.
(kinda like he knew what i was doing???)

This guy is not much of a burrower, he simply webbed over his hide a week before his last molt and kept it that way since. He removed his shed skin for me
and simply pounces crickets through his webbing. He keeps pretty buisy rebuilding his door. I cannot speak for all P. lugardi or OBT (i dont have an OBT) but this guy is calm. I would not trust him to be held but he is calm nonetheless. I dont trust him because he is a relative of the OBT and could have similar behaviors. thats just a guess. but I have always found that if you treat your T's with respect you, in most cases, will get respect back.
Now taking an eggsack from A H. lividum....brutal.... i did that a few days ago and i still did not get bit.

Bean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pheonixx said:
This guy is not much of a burrower,
I'm curious how much substrate you have provided him with?

I haven't seen mine out since she (unsexed) dug in months ago. All the Pterinochilus I keep dig like crazy.

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
in his old tank he had about 5 inches of topsoil for substrate. in the new tank he has about 3 1/2inches of bed a beast. he has been in there all day and seems quite content with his half log hide. Of course you never can tell what a spider will do next.

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Lorgakor said:
Isn't P.lugardi a burrowing species? Or can they be kept shallow if they have a hide? Are they as aggressive/defensive as an OBT? Beautiful pictures by the way.

Yes...they are predominately burrowers, but some will make dirt/web tunnels above ground like their cousins.

I would say lugardi is nowhere near as defensive as P.murinus. My murinus will threat display over an errant breeze, but my lugardi has yet to show one at all.

A very pretty T, and less of a handfull to deal with overall.

jeffh_x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i dunno why all of your p. lugardis are so calm...mine is always more that happy to hiss and give me a threat display...she is one big woman...built like a tank..fast as hell...well she's happy in her premade burrow..webbing the entrance so thickly...she molted in there once already...but she still staying inside...i have no idea why..she had molted a month ago already or maybe more than that but she still likes to hide inside...weird dun u think?

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pheonixx said:
this T was a treat to move, no threat displays no running, just walked into the deli cup and walked back out into the new cage when i tapped his back leg with my tweezers. he even stayed still so i could take the pics. when i was putting the camera away he calmly walked into his new home(burrow) without incident.
(kinda like he knew what i was doing???)
Hehehehe, She new she looked good. She was posing. :}

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
best part about this one is i got her at petco...Labeled as a rosehair....12$

evil_educator

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Bean said:
I'm curious how much substrate you have provided him with?

I haven't seen mine out since she (unsexed) dug in months ago. All the Pterinochilus I keep dig like crazy.

Hey, whats substrate you using? Peat moss?

Anyway nice p. lugardi..!

brachy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm she is very nice. I like that genus. Their are very agressive and theire cephalothorac s pattern is the best. I would like to lugardi, vorax...atc My
´´usambara´´ and murinus aremy favorytes.