Psytalla horrida spray !

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
So I’ve kept a small colony of ~10 subadult-adult Psytalla horrida for about 3 months now.

First off, I noticed the first baby just a day ago! Super cute.

Well about 10 minutes ago I was checking the colony to see if any new babies had developed... and I got sprayed in my right eye by one of the adultse!! Pretty crazy good accuracy as my face was about 4-5” away from them. I felt a mist hit my eye and immediately got up and vigorously washed out my eye with running water. So far, no I’ll effects aside from the initial shock.

I had read that they could do this, but I’ve never heard of them actually doing it before! Haha now I know! :dead:

Don’t get too complacent with them!

Has anyone who also keep this species experienced this as well? I want to know whether or not it’s a common occurrence.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Lol, didn't know they were like bombardier beetles or something. I almost feel like this should go in bite reports.

If you aren't feeling anything yet, I bet you're fine.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
If you aren't feeling anything yet, I bet you're fine.
Yeah, in the eye I would think any bad effects would noticeable right away. So they really can spray. I've read some speculation that this was a myth. OP has some bad luck. I think I'll start wearing my safety glasses when I work with mine.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I keep Platymeris sp. "Mombo", and I make sure to always wear sunglasses when I am working in the cage, or keep the glass between me and their proboscis's.

Thanks for sharing this experience, and be sure to let us know of any problems you may encounter.

Arthroverts

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Nothing wrong with the eye. I was extremely bewildered at first, because I had never heard of it actually happening to anyone before.

I have no clue if it would’ve been harmful if I didn’t wash my eye out, but I don’t wanna be the one to find out lol.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
C'mon man, science needs you!
I wanna see if I could at the very least record their spray... I think they aimed at my face and my eye on purpose. I wonder if I could somehow recreate that without my actual face there....

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I have noticed from several reports on spraying invertebrates and reptiles that they seem to be able to pick out a person's or animal's face and aim for it, a surprising but nonetheless useful ability in making sure the shots count, if you know what I mean.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I have noticed from several reports on spraying invertebrates and reptiles that they seem to be able to pick out a person's or animal's face and aim for it, a surprising but nonetheless useful ability in making sure the shots count, if you know what I mean.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Yes, from what I've seen and read about spitting cobras they always aim for the eyes, and usually hit them.

Jurdon

Arachnoknight
Hey, I made a thread a while back about one of my Platymeris biguttatus doing this to me! They haven’t done it in a while, but then again they’ve never actually hit me, at least not in the eyes (glasses), so I suppose I wouldn’t know if they did. I honestly find it so cool that they’re able to aim for a sensitive part of our bodies when defending themselves. Putting that stellar eyesight of theirs to work and whatnot.

congrats on the baby/babies as well! My assassins are set to mature soon, hope they breed well for me.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
I think i've been sprayed in the eyes by my Platymeris at least a couple times, along with having my hands sprayed countless times (no effects). When i got sprayed in the eyes i wasn't 100% sure if it actually happened or i just imagined feeling a spurt of liquid in my eye because there were no stinging, itching or blindness symptoms. It must be because i always washed immediately afterwards like you did after getting nailed by the psytalla.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I think i've been sprayed in the eyes by my Platymeris at least a couple times, along with having my hands sprayed countless times (no effects). When i got sprayed in the eyes i wasn't 100% sure if it actually happened or i just imagined feeling a spurt of liquid in my eye because there were no stinging, itching or blindness symptoms. It must be because i always washed immediately afterwards like you did after getting nailed by the psytalla.
Interesting! This is my first time hearing of another person being sprayed. Glad neither of us have experienced any adverse effects.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Oh wow. I’m glad we washed out our eyes so quickly. They seem super accurate!!

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
They must have better eyesight than they appear to in order to aim for the eyes so accurately.

Or perhaps they use another cue like the direction our breath is coming from to target the face. Kissing bugs are close relatives and use exhaled carbon dioxide to find their victims. Or maybe they just spray when they see your head moving.