Psuedhapalopus sp. "Blue"

Spiderguy47

Arachnoknight
Has anyone else here kept this species? I read that this species is fossorial and loves to burrow but my 1/4 inch sling refuses to burrow. I rehoused it over a month ago and it has already molted in this enclosure. Should I be worried about it? Also do any of you have reliable care info?

WoofSpider

Arachnosquire
I have one of these. Haven't seen any fossorial behavior from it. Mine spends 90% of the time hiding out in some moss though, so maybe she would dig if I hadn't provided that.

Care hasn't been too tough so far. I keep her the same way I keep all slings that size. Mostly moistened substrate and a water dish.

I will say that it is my pickiest eater. All of my other slings that are less than 1/2 inch get mealworm pieces, but the P. sp. "blue" has only been willing to take cricket legs for me.

And speaking of size: she is, by far, my slowest-growing T. I got her as a 1/4 inch sling last July and she's barely grown at all. Be prepared to wait a very long for it to mature.

EDIT: Here's a picture of mine so you can see the enclosure. It's a bit big of an enclosure, but not so big that she can't find food in it. (Warning: Large Image)
20180108_103747.jpg

Last edited:

Spiderguy47

Arachnoknight
Mine is also my slowest grower. Was in premolt for 30 days and barely even grew. I care for mine the same, its really hard to find information on this species so I just wanted to make sure I'm doing this right.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have an adult female Pseudhapalopus spinulopalpus and she spends almost her entire life in her burrow. Give them a bit of time, spiderlings often do not exhibit the behavour that you can come to expect from juveniles and adults.

the sith witch

Arachnopeon
Grew a male Pseudhapalopus sp Blue to maturity in about 2 years. Would have been faster if it hadn't had longish fasts between molts. Mine didn't hide or burrow much though it did use its hide. Spazzy as a sling, but more curious as it reached adult size. Guess I lucked out on temperament, if not on getting a female. At least I got him a date before he passed away and got another sling for a second attempt at a girl! Maybe all of your slow growing ones are girls!
My boy was kept on moistened sub as a tiny sling (with water dish when I moved it in a deli cup) but kept him on dry sub as an adult and overflowed the water dish/alternate corner occasionally. Also fed cricket drumsticks then whole crickets, not a big fan of worms, so can't confirm fussiness. Awesome dwarf that I'll keep in my collection :happy: