Pseudosphinx tetrio caterpillar as feeder?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ah ah no, as far as I know those (that specie) in Italy aren't even present, but I wouldn't :-s

Matoutou

Tarantula enthusiast
It is indeed found in my garden. There are hundreds of them and they just ravage any plant or fruit tree they can find.They exclusively feed on healthy green leaves until all that's left is a dying tree.

We usually kill them with no mercy. I was hoping they could end their lives doing something useful.

We're also invaded by scolopendra gigantea. Even my grandmother jumps on them as if there was a prize to win. These I'd never feed. But the caterpillar, I may try a few tomorrow for my adult spiders

Last edited:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Exactly as @Nightstalker47 said-- do not feed your T insects you found outside, even crickets! Contamination, possible exposure to pesticides, and potentially even parasites. Only feed insects bred for feeding purposes.

Sorry feeding them to your Ts isn't an option. We have -tons- of Japanese beetles each summer that devour our roses, hibiscus, etc. They just all swarm a flower in alarming numbers and then eat and do 'grown up leap frog' all willy nilly. Wish I could catch them and feed them to Ts, they're so plentiful and free. But there are way too many things that could go wrong offering a WC feeder insect.

Last edited:

H3nry

Arachnopeon
I don't know about this caterpillar in particular but many catepillars are fairly poisonous too

TylerFishman5675

Arachnosquire
I dont want to promote this, but ive been feeding my inverts wild insects for years and never had a problem, it depends on what you feed them and your area although

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I dont want to promote this, but ive been feeding my inverts wild insects for years and never had a problem
It's really not worth the risk, captive bred feeders are widely available so there's no reason to feed WC prey.
it depends on what you feed them and your area although
Not really, pesticides can be transported miles away from where they were sprayed through wind.

Also, depending on what feeders your catching they may have the ability to cover great distances(winged insects) and you have no way of knowing what they may have come in contact with.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
We have them in the house and I really wish I could pack them all and send them your way.
Man, don't tempt me... here in Italy a (true) S.gigantea is worth cash, minimum 250 Euro, but sadly exist custom inspections :-/

keks

Arachnobaron
Man, don't tempt me... here in Italy a (true) S.gigantea is worth cash, minimum 250 Euro, but sadly exist custom inspections :-/
That's a lot of money :wideyed:! Would be a lot of millipedes and tarantulas ^^.
What is custom inspection??
@Matoutou lives in a invertebrate paradise for our circumstances. I think the same when millipedes are shown that live in USA and can be caught by making a walk.
Chris! You have scorpions in your environment :)! Without protection :angelic:! In Austria they are protected, I can't collect them from the wild.

The caterpillar looks to me like it is poisonous, I wouldn't feed it to tarantulas.

Matoutou

Tarantula enthusiast
I did more research. Turns out this caterpillar isn't poisonous but it's got a nasty bite when bothered. I'm not risking it with my tarantulas.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
That's a lot of money :wideyed:! Would be a lot of millipedes and tarantulas ^^.
What is custom inspection??
@Matoutou lives in a invertebrate paradise for our circumstances. I think the same when millipedes are shown that live in USA and can be caught by making a walk.
Chris! You have scorpions in your environment :)! Without protection :angelic:! In Austria they are protected, I can't collect them from the wild.
Ah I see... I forgot a "s", sorry. Customs. Customs inspections (of the parcel) that technically can happens.

Combine this with the fact that Italian customs are famous for their "checking/dealing" operations that are slow as a turtle but fast like a jaguar when it comes to cash to pay for :shifty:

Actually we doesn't only have a native Scorpiones in Italy, but a native Scolopendridae (S.cingulata, however present in Croatia, Libya etc as well) "true spiders" like Latrodectus tredecimguttatus (basically the Italian 'cousin' of the 'black widow') and, Ladies and Gentlemans, present in Italy only in Sicilia island (near Trapani city) a Theraphosidae that almost no one knows:

Ischnocolus valentinus (former I.triangulifer) an OW burrower :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
:)! Without protection :angelic:!
Kid me not, oh my lovely neighbour :kiss: as we know perfectly, in Italy everything is completely under control and carefully protected: the environment, trees, sea... but I'd say borders in particular :troll:

keks

Arachnobaron
Ah I see... I forgot a "s", sorry. Customs. Customs inspections (of the parcel) that technically can happens.

Combine this with the fact that Italian customs are famous for their "checking/dealing" operations that are slow as a turtle but fast like a jaguar when it comes to cash to pay for :shifty:

Actually we doesn't only have a native Scorpiones in Italy, but a native Scolopendridae (S.cingulata, however present in Croatia, Libya etc as well) "true spiders" like Latrodectus tredecimguttatus (basically the Italian 'cousin' of the 'black widow') and, Ladies and Gentlemans, present in Italy only in Sicilia island (near Trapani city) a Theraphosidae that almost no one knows:

Ischnocolus valentinus (former I.triangulifer) an OW burrower :)
Ah, I see. Customs are the nice people who collect the taxes on the borders ^^.
Never underestimate the speed of a turtle or tortoise!! When males notice a female, they can be unbelievable fast!! And turtles are the water-living-species, they can attack very fast ... :wideyed:.

About the scolopender we talked last week. The true spiders you can keep by yourself, widows are not my thing :anxious:. But the tarantula is nice. It looks a bit like my Phlogiellus baeri ^^.

I did more research. Turns out this caterpillar isn't poisonous but it's got a nasty bite when bothered. I'm not risking it with my tarantulas.
Biting caterpillars are already as bad as poisonous ones. One possibility could be that you crash the head of it :bag:. But as the others say, it is always a risk to feed wild caught feeders.