1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Psalmopoeus loses entire leg!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by MizM, May 11, 2004.

1. MizM

MizM Arachnoprincess Old Timer

Advertisement
    My Psalmopoeus irminia, Irma, (not ONE WORD about her lame name! :( ) just lost a WHOLE LEG! Very strange...

I was feeding, and she ran up my arm and glided to the floor. I gently got her cornered, and picked her up. But leg #2 was still laying on the floor, twitching and dancing all by itself! It fell off neatly at the coxae, with not a DROP of hemolymph loss! Irma is just fine, didn't seem to suffer at all!

This is one of the weirdest "T" things that has happened to me, although I have had a T drop an injured palp or leg.

2. senor ocho

senor ocho Arachnosquire

CA
    HEYHEY,
    Is this my girl that you picked up at Pomona? I thought she perished due to the outside heat at a children's fair exhibit. Glad to hear she was resuscitated.
    In my experience, it's not uncommon for arboreals to lose limbs when stressed; A. versicolor likes to do it at the drop of a dime. So does P. cambridgei, and yes, P. irminia. 'Specially when they say "Damn this oppression!" and leap to the floor.
    See you at Pomona IRBA this weekend?
    -chris
    www.krazy8sinvertebrates.com

3. MizM

No, unfortunately, it's another... HAD to get a quick replacement!! Never knew they would do it just out of stress! Like lizards and their tails, huh?

Not sure which day, but YES I will be there... remember the h. gigas I got last year? Hope you have more! It's a date - I'll see you there... with my other dates, Sam, Wayne, Billy, EvilSpiderHunter... sre there any GIRLS that wanna go????

4. Socrates

Socrates Arachnoprince Old Timer

Sorry, but I just HAD to: I R M A????? Irma???????

You know I'm just kidding, really, cute name. :D

5. MizM

UR MEAN!!! I gotta name them SOMETHING! :( Maybe I should change it to "Senorita Siete"! {D

6. Socrates

Socrates Arachnoprince Old Timer

...I was kidding, I really really was...... :)

SENORITA SIETE...ROFLMAO {D (how's your friend like THAT name???)

7. MizM

I know you were... I also know her name is lame!!!! Maybe just Siete? Seven? I already have a Stumpy!!!

8. ChrisNCT

ChrisNCT Arachnoprince Old Timer

Stumpy

I am about to call my 6 legged Cobalt Blue Stumpy.

9. Angelo

Angelo Arachnobaron Old Timer

give her an exotic name!!! like Sum Ting Wong (something wrong) :} :}

10. MizM

{D {D I can't breathe.... laughing too hard... help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee {D

11. Tranz

Tranz Arachnobaron Old Timer

What about Miso Huahini?

12. DnKslr

DnKslr Arachnoprince Old Timer

WOW! I've never heard of a leg just poppin' off but since it was still moving around, it very well could be a defense just like the lizard tail falling off. Well, now I'm prepared incase one of my versicolors decides to do that and I won't freak out so bad.

13. MizM

Glad I didn't freak, just really curious!! :D

14. DnKslr

DnKslr Arachnoprince Old Timer

I really freaked when I notice my Cobalt missing a leg, especially since I couldn't find it! {D I could just imagine what I'd be like if I saw it on the floor still twitching....,
    OMG! Your leg!! What have I done! Oh, hold still..., OW! Stop biting me! OWW! I'm trying to console you! You're in shock, you've just lost a leg- eeeww look, it's still moving! {D

15. Malhavoc's

Malhavoc's Arachnoking Old Timer

Stumpyness!! All hail stumpy!!!! stumpy is evi.. stumpy is.. stumpy goews.. stumpies will conqour gimpy in Cruches war!!!

16. MizM

Drakie.. YOU have a stump fixation! {D