Psalmopoeus irminia

MapleMatt

Arachnosquire
Hi, Im about to buy a Psalmopoeus irminia and I would like to know which conditions should I prepare for this specie. Its a T in 4-5 molt so I would like to ask as Its arboreal type, how to decore the encloser. Aswell how humid should be the environment as If I'm not wrong its Venezuelan T, so I presume living in jungle the humidity 70-80%? Correct me If I'm wrong. I did an axchange for chordatus as I decided to follow the advice and progress way slower on the ladder towards more venomous species. I will also welcome If You send a pictures of this T and how should the example of arboreal terrarium look like, aswell as pictures of Your "pet". Thanx everyone, I'm looking forward for the posts. Iv decided to keep for now only B. emillia, L. parahybana, Hapalopus sp. Colombia and now the addition of P. irminia. I hope, that I did a good descision to wait with the baboons.

cold blood

Staff member
irminia is a much faster and nastier species than chordatus...despite being NW.

Do not look to number specific humidity....its not relavant....just keep the sub slightly damp....when it dries, just add a little water...and dont be afraid to let things dry from time to time.

Make sure you have adequate ground cover, as that's where they'll live.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I hope, that I did a good descision to wait with the baboons.
Yep get the fastest of the NW's care correct, then you're on the right road to be looking at faster OW's in the future, get used to their speed, don't get complacent - they're always faster than the blink of an eye - teleportation is not a myth - not with certain T's - most in fact!
Baboon species will be in your collection at some point, just make sure you're ready for their speed, defensiveness, bi-polar tendencies, and downright bad manners, but hey that's why we love them so much, enjoy your P. irminia.

MapleMatt

Arachnosquire
irminia is a much faster and nastier species than chordatus...despite being NW.

Do not look to number specific humidity....its not relavant....just keep the sub slightly damp....when it dries, just add a little water...and dont be afraid to let things dry from time to time.

Make sure you have adequate ground cover, as that's where they'll live.
Wow, Its not home yet, so You're saying that chordatus has milder temper? Its not problem to cancel the exchange, as to be completely honest, I went to the hobby mainly because I'm interested in baboons and all the animals related to African continent. Even my wife is Afričan;) ghanaian to be precize. I would like to know, If Its very difficult eventually to catch that kind of spider in nature. If I'm not mistaken, I guess that H.maculata should be found in Ghana as its origin should been Togo. Maybe some people think that Its too much of a Rush, but I'm super excited and I was extra careful even with my NW species, never handled them and allways used gloves and sometimes protective glass while cleaning the terrarium to avoid the urricitating hair damage. Please excuse my English and I will be glad to hear Your oppinion whenever You'll have time to respond. Thank You

MapleMatt

Arachnosquire
Yep get the fastest of the NW's care correct, then you're on the right road to be looking at faster OW's in the future, get used to their speed, don't get complacent - they're always faster than the blink of an eye - teleportation is not a myth - not with certain T's - most in fact!
Baboon species will be in your collection at some point, just make sure you're ready for their speed, defensiveness, bi-polar tendencies, and downright bad manners, but hey that's why we love them so much, enjoy your P. irminia.
Hi, thank You for respond. I'm still kinda undecided, I'm trying to start a discussion and people wrote P.irminia is is super fast, which is kinda turning me off, as simmilar type I avoided H.maculata. Mainly because of the super speed I don't feel enough confident to keep her, even I like and wish to have this T alot. Thank You for Your response

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Hi, thank You for respond. I'm still kinda undecided, I'm trying to start a discussion and people wrote P.irminia is is super fast, which is kinda turning me off, as simmilar type I avoided H.maculata. Mainly because of the super speed I don't feel enough confident to keep her, even I like and wish to have this T alot. Thank You for Your response
Irminia are the perfect species to work with if you want to bridge over to OW arboreals. You'll learn a lot from keeping them, fast, skittish and ridiculously defensive. More trouble then many OWs.

Main difference is that their venom is less potent. They are just as feisty if not more.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
If it's speed you're worried about, I would opt for an Avic - fast but they tend to less flighty and don't seem to bolt at the first signs of a crack in their lid, a member with experience of the Avicularia genus will give you better advice than myself, having only owned a sling for a few short months (wet molt) anyway I feel this would be a good intermediate/compromise tarantula if you will. I would, if allowed, definitely have the irminia in my collection, and the rest of the genus.;)

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
so You're saying that chordatus has milder temper?
Chordatus has a reputation for being one of the more mild tempered baboons.

IME the two most defensive species I have ever owned were NWs, one being Phormictipus cancerides...the other being Psalmopeous irminia.

If Its very difficult eventually to catch that kind of spider in nature
Now they aren't generally a difficult t to keep, but when you go for rehouses, you will almost certainly get a t reared up slapping at the ground in front of it.

As for catching a runner...best to do re-houses and such in a open place so you can let them run and deal with them once they stop....many use the bathtub.

In general, they tend to be reclusive and will just hide away...but expose them and its a new ball game. IMO P. cambridgei is a much better choice...just as fast, but generally a lot less reclusive and much less defensive.
I guess that H.maculata should be found in Ghana as its origin should been Togo
H. mac is among the top of the very most advanced species...they're almost schizophrenic by nature...exceptionally fast and so reclusive that you don't see them all too often....at least not until they reach adulthood...they're also delicate as slings and one of the slower growing OW arboreals around.

Because of this, and especially their photosensitive nature, they're really something better for when you have more experience and more ts to watch....as then their reclusive nature will be less frustrating....they're beautiful, no doubt...but does it really matter if you don't get to see them? That's an answer every individual needs to ask themselves....for some the answer is yes, but not for everyone. Cool t, but IMO they are the single most over-rated species we have in the hobby today...JMO.

But also keep in mind that these are always cheap and readily available, so there's no hurry...don't get rushed by a good deal...there are always good deals on them.

Please excuse my English
Had you not mentioned it, I don't thing we would have noticed...you communicate just fine...no worries there.

I really think that if baboons are your real goal, a feistier terrestrial would be better...even one of the beginner type baboons like chordates or my personal favorite beginner baboon.....A. ezendami

Last edited:

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I think you’re overthinking the P. irminia a bit. They are a good intermediate tarantula. They are fast, but so is your H sp Columbia. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but they don’t kick hairs, and the bite won’t ruin your week like an old world, specifically H Mac.
They are pretty shy, preferring to hide a lot. In the enclosure, when you open the lid, Psalmopoeus tend to move down to hide, which makes it a bit easier in my opinion. P. irminia are really hardy and beautiful. They have a bad temper, but when you leave them alone, they seem pretty content just to hang around (no pun intended). I’ve called them the wolf of the tarantula world. If the enclosure is a bit big, they will use it all and are great hunters. They know what is in that enclosure.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I havent owned any psalmos yet. I think im going to next time I order a few T's depending on whats available

Walker253

Arachnobaron
It’s a great genus. If you have some experience, they won’t overwhelm you. They’re all good looking and out enough for you to enjoy them.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
It’s a great genus. If you have some experience, they won’t overwhelm you. They’re all good looking and out enough for you to enjoy them.
Well I have owned 18 not so defensive t's so far. I figure if i respect it and keep my fingers away I should be allright. I hope so anyways haha

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I cant make up my mind between cambridgei And irminia. Probably both. Good thing they are pretty cheap

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I have some weird thing for nw arboreals. I only have c versicolor. I like the taps and the psalmos. I think there are a few other ones too

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Wait until you dive into Pokies. You’ll want all of them.
Yeah im nervous about old worlds. I have a toddler right now and i dont even want to risk it. I would have old worlds by now if i didnt have a 2 year old boy. And if im not mistaken, pokies pack am even worse bite than most ow's don't they? They sure are good lookin though.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Once you’re confident in your abilities, there isn’t much out there that will worry you. Pokies have a bad bite, some suggest it’s worse, but they all suck. I wouldn’t want my kid getting bit by anything. As long as the enclosures are secure and not getting left open, the Pokie will stay in there. I have Dogs and other pets. A lot of tarantula venom will kill a dog, even many new worlds. I just make sure everything stays where it’s supposed to and when they need to come out, it’s in a controlled environment like a bathroom.

Walker253

Arachnobaron