• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Psalmopoeus cambridgei

senor ocho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Okay,
I'm fairly stoked about this one! 2 P. cambridgei eggsacs hatching on the same day.That means two more unrelated bloodlines! I've bred P. cambridgei before, and yes, I've had successful P. cam sacs, but two on one day is just phenomenal!
If I were 25 and not 26 I'd cartwheel!
-chris
www.krazy8sinvertebrates.com

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

INSERTION SUCCESS!

Notes:

Ended up nudging the male closer to the corkbark tube, as he seemed content to sit on the glass of the 10 gal custom tank of the female. No drumming reported.

It is possible that they have been drumming at each other at night from seperate cages before they were introduced.

Female was stuffed with male B. dubia roaches before introduction.

After a long wait, of probably at least 20 minutes, the male carefully groomed both palps and began setting foot in the cork bark.

Male and female stayed about 3 inches away from each other toe to toe for probably another 15 to mins

Male carefully began inching down, stopped and groomed both palps again.

Female began inching closer and stopped.

Male began drumming, although most of the time, his palps were twitching in mid air instead. (No audible noise at all, however.)

Female seemed eager, as front legs were placed over the males, and appeared to have no intention of eating the male.

After a long stately slow courtship, I believe insertation was made.

Male backed up, and groomed both palps.

After about 5 mins, male began drumming and repeated the courtship process, resulting in apparently another insertion.

Male backed up, and groomed both palps again.

Same amount of wait time, male began drumming and repeated the courship process, resulting in a clear insertion.

Male backed up further than before, and it appears that they would have continued to breed, but they were seperated at this time.

Time will tell if the female drops an eggsack. {D

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The female in the above post molted out on 6/1/2006 :wall:

The male is making his rounds at the Therphosid Breeding Project. :D

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
P. cambridgei breeding

11-06-06 - Female (Trixie) is about 5 1/2-6" and molted in August 2006. Male molted out in about September 2006 or so and is on loan from Skypainter. Male arrived on 11-02-06 and was immediately shark-tanked with female. Temp is about 75F and I did not monitor humidity. After female was fed on B. lateralis today, male was let out of his enclosure into females 10 gallon tank. He circled the top of her tank several times before moving towards her. Both were on corkboard when he made his first move towards her. Male and female both fell off corkboard when plastic foliage wrapped around it moved. Oops! I have to remember to take that out next time because it's obviously not secure enough to hold them both! They were not deterred, however. Male walked up the glass and positioned himself above female who remained on the corkboard. She readily approached him and they sat touching legs. He vibrated on and off and she tapped and rubbed her pedipalps and front legs against his. They continued to alternate doing this and sitting still for another 15-20 minutes. Male then suddenly rushed towards female, bent and held her backwards, and seemed to get a good insertion with both palps. Female then pushed male backwards and up the corkboard. He ran to the top of the enclosure. Male was removed, placed back in his enclosure, and again sharktanked with female. I'll wait another week or until I see evidence of a sperm web to pair again. My goal is to pair these two another 2 times and then sent the male off again to someone else of Skypainter's choosing. More updates to follow.

Last edited:

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
11-06-06 - Female (Trixie) is about 5 1/2-6" and molted in August 2006. Male molted out in about September 2006 or so and is on loan from Skypainter. Male arrived on 11-02-06 and was immediately shark-tanked with female. Temp is about 75F and I did not monitor humidity. After female was fed on B. lateralis today, male was let out of his enclosure into females 10 gallon tank. He circled the top of her tank several times before moving towards her. Both were on corkboard when he made his first move towards her. Male and female both fell off corkboard when plastic foliage wrapped around it moved. Oops! I have to remember to take that out next time because it's obviously not secure enough to hold them both! They were not deterred, however. Male walked up the glass and positioned himself above female who remained on the corkboard. She readily approached him and they sat touching legs. He vibrated on and off and she tapped and rubbed her pedipalps and front legs against his. They continued to alternate doing this and sitting still for another 15-20 minutes. Male then suddenly rushed towards female, bent and held her backwards, and seemed to get a good insertion with both palps. Female then pushed male backwards and up the corkboard. He ran to the top of the enclosure. Male was removed, placed back in his enclosure, and again sharktanked with female. I'll wait another week or until I see evidence of a sperm web to pair again. My goal is to pair these two another 2 times and then sent the male off again to someone else of Skypainter's choosing. More updates to follow.
Female molted in January 2007 without ever producing a sac.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Psalmopoeus cambridgei w/ pics

Today I had my 7th P. cambridgei eggsac laid. This species is not difficult to breed. Pairing can be done in well lit and hectic conditions with only minimal worry about the males health. I've only paired large females (6 in+), so I'm not sure of the minimum size for a female to mature.

Females should be well fed after mating and will appear visibly gravid more than any species I've had before. Egg sacs are laid 31-45 days after mating. You can keep the mated females at room temperature with no special light cycle. Females will construct a large web close to the ground to make an eggsac with. I place a towel over the cage once the sac is being made and leave it for the next month.

I pull these sacs after 30 days. The young are easily artificially incubated but you need to watch humidity levels, low levels cause bad molts and I lost almost half a sac this way. Also, I left one sac with the mother to full term which was really fun....until I had to separate babies out.

In 2006 I had four sacs, three of which were successful, one which was infertile.

In 2008 I've had three sacs, the first one was mostly infertile except for five 2nd instars I'm hoping will make it. The 2nd and 3rd sacs for this year were laid on appx March 5th and 10th.

Sacs may contain anywhere from 110-250 young. I definitely recommend breeding females with more than one male to prevent infertility.

Some pictures:

Mature male:

Mature female:

First sac I ever produced, in the incubator. Some of these are just maturing into adult males recently!:

Female from first sac after appx 2 years, not powerfed, leg span about 3.5 inches:

macilacispiders

Arachnopeon
Psalmopoeus cambridgei breeding

Mating:24th May 2009.

Kokon laid:14th July 2009.

Kokon opened (by the female):10th Aug 2010. (L2)

First molt: 30th Aug 2009.

Number of sling:36

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k98lbMF3iX8&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k98lbMF3iX8&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

harmroelf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
female molted: aug 2011
male ultimate molt: june 2011
mated: okt 2011
sack discovered: 2 december 2011
sack taken: 16 januari 2012: nimph II (152 stuks)
molt to spiderling: 15 februari
total: still counting estimate around 140

pics:

mom and dad:

taking the sack:

inside the incubator, sealed the holes with tape:

getting darker:

hard to get LV levels high enough, they appear dehydrated, some have died, so I put in some wet toiletpaper wich they use emidiatly (not to wipe their butts).:

few days later, getting real dark:

few days later, first spiderlings:

martin lees

Arachnopeon
Psalmopoeus cambridgei success

Adult female molted February 2014.
1st pairing with fresh mature male 2/4/14
2nd pairing 7/4/14.Where he was left in overnight and became a meal.
Layed eggsack 21/5/14
Pulled eggsack 18/5/14-
Most were EWL at 28days.
Molted to N2,around a week later
16/7/14 molted to slings
Total 226