1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSA: glass is sharp

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by Moakmeister, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Moakmeister

Moakmeister Arachnobaron

Texas
    Advertisement
    I know, mind blowing revelation.

But yeah. I’m building a Dark Den enclosure (thanks @petkokc :D) and got glass panels cut by a local glass cutter. I expected them to file down the edges. They did not.

But I didn’t notice until I was getting them out of my car to bring them inside. I grabbed an unwrapped side, and my poor index finger got sliced in two distinct places. Blood EVERYWHERE. Stung like a mother.

So yeah, if you’re making a glass enclosure, make sure to ask them to round the edges. I’m in the garage now using sandpaper.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    • Lollipop x 3
    • Sad x 1
    • Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
    • Beer x 1
  2. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist-musician-artist Arachnosupporter

Jeez, that doesn’t sound good! You’re lucky you didn’t slice your hand so bad that you needed stitches!

3. Mirandarachnid

Mirandarachnid Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    Lol, I had a similar revelation with hot glue recently.

Got a little 3rd degree burn that's healing nicely. At least it doesn't hurt :hilarious:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Cake Cake x 1
  4. Moakmeister

Moakmeister Arachnobaron

Texas
    As a kid I got a big blister from hot glue. That sucked

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Mirandarachnid

Mirandarachnid Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    I was making an enclosure and a big glob fell on my leg, but I wasn't about to ruin the enclosure by letting go so I asked my fiance for assistance but all I said was "Can I get some assistance" and he didn't know what I was referring to, so it was burning into my leg for a little bit before he pulled the glue (and a little skin) off :hilarious: It hurt a little when it was actively burning my leg, but it hasn't hurt at all during the healing process. But, that's my knock around leg, so it's pretty tough ;)

I wonder how many keepers are injured building enclosures vs. keepers actually injured by their T's

6. Asgiliath

Asgiliath Arachnosquire Active Member

That’s the weird thing about burns sometimes! I recently got second degree hot oil burns on my FACE (yes, I filed for worker’s comp.) and it hurt like hell when it happened but not much since.

7. baconwrappedpikachu

baconwrappedpikachu Arachnosquire Active Member

Ugh, I burn myself with hot glue almost every time I get it out. I basically just expect it at this point.

8. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

Glass. I worked in a glass manufacturing plant for about 3 weeks. Sign on every wall: DON'T TOUCH THE GLASS or a graphic cartoon image of a bleeding hand or a hand with a finger missing. The first time you get observed bare handed touching the glass gets an automatic reprimand. Second offense may get you fired. Third offense will get you fired. Complete hands off protocol; use the protective handling devices. Observe all safe handling procedures and protocols. OSHA constantly breathing down the neck of the administration, surprise inspections at any time.
    A little hint for hobbyists.
    Third degree burns don't hurt as a rule. Sensory nerves are destroyed.

When burned, COOL IT DOWN FAST! The fat cells in your skin can boil instantaneously. They will continue to burn the surrounding tissue for quite some time after the incipient is removed.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  9. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

Yeah, 2nd degree burns hurt like a beeyatch because the nerve endings are still intact

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. Been there. I feel that

11. mack1855

mack1855 Arachnoknight Arachnosupporter

So,Moak...why didn't you use plexiglass?.To expensive or no supply available?.

12. FrDoc

FrDoc Arachnobaron Active Member

Dixie
    Pictures, man! Where are the pictures?!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. PrimalxTyrantula

PrimalxTyrantula Arachnosquire Active Member

B.C.
    Wow. Usually when I pick up my glass for custom work my guy usually wraps each piece in newspaper and uses scotch tape to hold it all together. Petko has amazing designs. Don't forget to put your own spin on it.

Currently working on a trap door feeding slot. Place food item in and when u close it drops it right into the enclosure. Hopefully it works well in the arboreal enclosure

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tim Benzedrine

Tim Benzedrine Prankster Possum Old Timer

Helpful hint. Try a bandage instead.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

You could ask to have the glass flame polished next time.

16. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoprince Old Timer

I filed them down when using sandpaper (dont know english word) when i builded terrariums,

17. Moakmeister

Moakmeister Arachnobaron

Texas
    You wanna see my injured finger???

18. Moakmeister

Moakmeister Arachnobaron

Texas
    I wanted glass, since it looks nicer and feels more professional to me. And I am using two plexiglass panels, but they were a pain to cut and I may have to look into finding a shop to help with that next time.

19. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

Easiest way to neaten the edges of glass: use a fine grit whetstone lengthwise along the edges. Run water over glass and stone to bevel the edges. Use an adjustable angle as a guide for degree of bevel.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  20. FrDoc

FrDoc Arachnobaron Active Member

Dixie
    Heck yeah! It would be a reprieve from the standard bald tarantula butts. I’m sorry if this comes off as calloused, but I am, as a result of my past. When I was a cop, back in the day when we didn’t do political correctness, one of my partners had a sticker on the plexiglass cage of his patrol car facing the back seat where prisoners sat, it read “ Having Fun at Others’ Expense”. Some things you just can’t shake. Plus, if it was a really good cut you could put the, “Due to the graphic nature...” header.

P.S. Just teasing, bro.

• Funny Funny x 1