1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Providing Water for Slings

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by sshinofield, Feb 11, 2019.

1. sshinofield

sshinofield Arachnopeon

Kansas
    Advertisement
    Hello!
    So, I'm new to keeping tarantulas, and I started with an approx. 3/4" Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens sling. So far things are going well, but I need to run out of state for three days. It's winter here, and the air is pretty dry, so I've been lightly misting the sides of its enclosure each morning, just enough to get droplets on the side for it. However, when I'm gone, I don't really want to bother it by bringing it along, but I don't have any water dishes in the enclosure. So is there a good way to keep it hydrated while I'm gone without making the enclosure too wet?

2. Arachnoclown

Arachnoclown Arachnosquire

I use plastic milk jug caps. Misting is a waste of time...evaporates too fast. 15499456105973219897392989225959.jpg

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

I have good news for you. GBBs live in extremely xeric climates.

However, certainly provide a water dish. You can use water caps, milk caps, upside down monopoly hotels/houses, tattoo ink holders from Amazon, etc etc

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

Three days without misting isn't going to kill your sling, but if you can provide a water dish that will give you peace of mind.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

3 days? I wouldn't even be misting for a drinking opportunity but once a week anyway. Ts don't drink every day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MissouriArachnophile

MissouriArachnophile Arachnoknight

Had a bunch of plastic spoons just broke the spoon part off to put water in, of course now my slings think their toys.

7. Andrew Clayton

Andrew Clayton Arachnobaron Active Member

I use plastic bottle caps and dig them into the substrate for my ts small slings I don't bother with a water dish at all I just wet part of the substrate once maybe twice a week depending how dry it is

8. Clareesi

Clareesi Arachnopeon Arachnosupporter

I used upside down Lego bricks for the tiny slings.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

Upside down Monopoly hotels make good water dishes for slings as well

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tenebrarius

Tenebrarius Arachnoangel Active Member

slings dont drown, caps are fine /thread.

11. Dannica

Dannica Arachnosquire

Give it a dish, even GBB’s like a long drink every now and again.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bailz

Bailz Arachnopeon

For small slings, the chaps from The Spider Shop, mentioned the use of birthday candle holders.

I use the above, and a mix of bottle caps and pill blister-packs, for water dishes.

13. sshinofield

sshinofield Arachnopeon

Kansas
    Thanks for the quick replies, all! I wasn't sure about using a water dish for a little guy, but it sounds like that isn't as dangerous as I'd originally though, so I'll probably end up using something small for it. The enclosure is a little too small for a bottle cap, but I probably have some Advil blister packs or something to use. Thanks very much for the advice!

14. BoyFromLA

BoyFromLA ‎٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و Arachnosupporter

CA
    Small tattoo ink cups will do the magic too!

3EF6B208-8F5C-4A7C-B43A-0582308887C7.jpeg

• Like Like x 1