Pros and cons of popular tarantula YouTubers?

Blonc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well... If nothing else the tarantula crowd on youtube gives a bunch of people on here someone to look down on for whatever reason.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Exotics Lair is wayyyyyy tooooo overrated. His enclosures are small, his ventilation is poor in his terrestrial enclosures and his explanations are wayyy too vague. I'd rather watch the Dark Den over Exotics Lair if I had to choose between the two. Exotics Lair should be called Exotics West Coast Exotics Jr. Not trying to be mean, but his enclosures are too small. Sure, they can do fine in them, but it's not an ideal enclosure for any T. He's so vague and uninformative on info. All he does is scratch on the bare basics on things. The only thing in depth he ever did was his dubia roach care video regarding animals. If I compare any bad youtuber (Deadlytarantulagirl,West Coast Exotics) to Exotics Lair, I can see how similar there enclosures can compare very closely. Poor levels of substrate, small or tight enclosures, flexing, and depressing. Now that I think about it, West Coast Exotics and Exotics Lair have about the same amount of substrate levels. Do I like Exotics Lair? Mostly no, even his T.'s don't like him that's why almost all rehouses results in bolting. In this case scenario, i'm cheering for the T.'s to escape from Exotics Lair and be free rather than being forced into a barely suitable enclosure. I'm pretty certain he's getting to a level where PETA is going to get involved. :troll::troll:
Agreed. I watch EL just for laughs but sometimes it does frustrate me that his husbandry could use some tweaking. Many of his enclosures don't include hides or are too shallow for burrowing species and he wonders why his spiders bolt on him constantly or always throw up threat postures like it's nobody's business. And at this point he knows he's a walking meme and seems to turn up the cringe factor on purpose, which is terrible.

I hate, hate, hate and despise how some of these people only seem to care about their tarantulas in terms of them being the latest and greatest 'props' for their videos. I used to like Tarantula Kat but then she started doing the same. Now I sometimes still watch Petko or Tarantula Dan and I just listen to Tom Moran's podcast.
As for TK I watch her very infrequently. Some of her videos are okay and others just rub me the wrong way. I think it's the handling that bugs me.

But anyway my two cents for the pros and cons, since I know everyone is needing the Rigor Mortis Two Cents.
Pros- Seeing people interact with tarantulas can help others get over their fear of arachnids (I see this often in YouTube comments) and introduces people to a hobby that they may not have considered before. (like me!)
Cons- Can sometimes glamourise parts of the hobby that aren't so great (like angering your medically significant OWs for a chuckle, handling your T. stirmi because holy crap huge spider) and depending on who you watch you won't get accurate enough information and people can end up getting spiders they were never prepared to care for.

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
YouTube is a mixed blessing. It can inform but more often than not it’s solely for entertainment. Admittedly I do watch my share of “reality tv” tarantula videos from time to time but on the whole most are vague, uninformative and on par with any other clickbait garbage. I wish it wasn’t this way but that’s how it is. Unfortunately, as far as younger people know, this is the way it is and will always be. And that’s just sad.

I remember a time when public television and networks like animal planet and National Geographic regularly showed informative, exciting and educational documentaries without all the celebrity BS. Twenty five years ago that all went out the window though. With few exceptions (Such as Tom Moran) YouTube content is mostly junk food for the mind.

My impression is that people watch with more interest in the host and his or her screen antics than the actual subject matter. When I became interested in keeping Ts I wanted to find current and accurate information regarding care. What I found (with a few exceptions) was lackluster at best. It’s like watching Dr Phil only with more legs.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Good thoughts ya’ll. I have my own judgements but I’m glad this thread didn’t turn into just crapping on the YouTubers because I feel that the pros are relevant. T keeping shouldn’t be a pissing contest lmao

basin79

ArachnoGod
The reason I started uploading videos to youtube was a way of having all my various videos in 1 place that didn't take up any space on my phone.

With regards to animals/pets I watch videos of pets I'm unable to keep. It scratches an itch. Obviously not the same of being the owner of magnificent animals but having various videos of those animals is absolutely phenomenal.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I hate, hate, hate and despise how some of these people only seem to care about their tarantulas in terms of them being the latest and greatest 'props' for their videos. I used to like Tarantula Kat but then she started doing the same. Now I sometimes still watch Petko or Tarantula Dan and I just listen to Tom Moran's podcast.
I watched Tarantula Kat until she came on here for like one day and starting disliking posts. She is *very* new to this hobby; there's nothing wrong with being new, but she lacks a level of humility that a @Tomoran absolutely has.

The reason I started uploading videos to youtube was a way of having all my various videos in 1 place that didn't take up any space on my phone.

With regards to animals/pets I watch videos of pets I'm unable to keep. It scratches an itch. Obviously not the same of being the owner of magnificent animals but having various videos of those animals is absolutely phenomenal.
And in case there is any doubt, @basin79 is one of the best in my book. Short vids, amazing quality (I'd go out and buy a 4K HDTV just to watch his closeups), and every time he calls a creature sweetheart (trademark) it just makes me smile. And this hobby should be all about joy.

Last edited by a moderator:

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I watched Tarantula Kat until she came on here for like one day and starting disliking posts. She is *very* new to this hobby; there's nothing wrong with being new, but she lacks a level of humility that a @Tomoran absolutely has.

And in case there is any doubt, @basin79 is one of the best in my book. Short vids, amazing quality (I'd go out and buy a 4K HDTV just to watch his closeups), and every time he calls a creature sweetheart (trademark) it just makes me smile. And this hobby should be all about joy.
I don’t even categorize @basin79 with most of the folks of whom reference has been made. YTers cannot be lumped into a single bunch. You’ve the hype folks (no names, they’re pretty obvious), truly instructional (Tom Moran, et al), and some (very few) posting extraordinary videos of specimens both captive and wild, e.g., Basin and birdspidersCH. It’s interesting, I learn a ton from the latter category of posters, and also just enjoy seeing specimens I cannot keep due to space limitation, etc..

Minty

@londontarantulas
Speaking of YouTube people, I met and chatted with Petko for a while, at the BTS expo today. An absolute gentleman with a good sense of humour.
He was stood in the same spot from 11:45 until 16:00, chatting with/taking photos with fan after fan in a never ending massive queue. Say what you like about his channel (I’m a fan of it for reasons I mentioned in my first post) but he’s a decent bloke. Met him last year too and he was the same.

SamanthaMarikian

Arachnoknight
I think the same goes with any “unorthidox” pet keeping out there, bugs and reptiles especially. Its entertaining and gets people to like them and not kill on sight like squishing a spider or cutting a random snakes head off with a shovel. Sadly it also often gives people the idea that all or any are easy pets and leading to buying out of impulse or them killing their new said pet. Not to mention that some popular youtubers can often have improper care which may also vary by channel. Not to mention people only buying them because “a popular youtuber said theyre cool”

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Watching John3800 is what got me into the hobby and helped me through the critical phase of being new to the hobby and knowing zilch. His videos have been very helpful to me, and the videos of his collection do "scratch the itch" for me as @basin79 said.
However, clickbait stuff is something I just won't watch for any reason, as I have a problem with people using the hobby to fulfill their own ambition and thus don't portray keeping invertebrates in the best of light. We need true enthusiasts who know what there doing who will help teach new hobbyists the right way, and not just "their" way. You can tell a true enthusiast from someone just doing it for the fun of it by the passion they exude, a desire to provide their creatures with the right care and environment, a willingness to learn from others, and are willing teach those who don't know as much in a kind (but firm if necessary) way.
Just my two cents.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Speaking of YouTube people, I met and chatted with Petko for a while, at the BTS expo today. An absolute gentleman with a good sense of humour.
He was stood in the same spot from 11:45 until 16:00, chatting with/taking photos with fan after fan in a never ending massive queue. Say what you like about his channel (I’m a fan of it for reasons I mentioned in my first post) but he’s a decent bloke. Met him last year too and he was the same.
These people actually have fans? o_O But, they don't really do anything differently from what anyone else who owns tarantulas do. I wish the arachnologists (the practicing scientists) had YouTube channels where they explained and demonstrated the science of tarantulas, the impact of the pet trade on natural populations, and maybe a VLOG on what they are up to from time to time. I've watched a few videos of some of the YouTubers mentioned in this thread and I don't see anything really worth talking about.

I guess the only pro would be seeing that tarantulas are far more adaptable to a variety of captive situations than what most give them credit for. One would have to watch between the lines, so to speak, to get that though. Most would rather criticize and put others down though so I would imagine that is lost on some people. I haven't come across a YouTuber that presented anything new or particularly interesting regarding tarantula husbandry. Watching the videos of some of these popular YouTubers is like watching the information posted here on this site. Some of it is good, some of it is cring worthy.

To me though, it is all pretty much makes me cringe. Especially the hyperbole surrounding the demeanor of some tarantula species such as our friend the Orange Bob (Pterinochilus murinus Usumbara orange variant). Maybe I take tarantulas too seriously at times, but it is so frustrating to see a video using words like "evil", "nasty", "bad attitude", and so on just to see the Orange Bob run across a table when being rehoused.

The only YouTube videos I watch are the ones of tarantulas in the wild. Those YouTubers are actually doing something by contributing new information on the natural history of tarantulas and have my respect. I just wish some of them would cut it out with the Hollywood film making techniques though. Stop with the long winded narrations, b-roll, arial drone footage, fancy graphics/ green screen, and editing is what I say. Just give me the 3 minute version of a tarantula hiding in a hole in the ground or resting in a tree.

Minty

@londontarantulas
These people actually have fans? o_O But, they don't really do anything differently from what anyone else who owns tarantulas do. I wish the arachnologists (the practicing scientists) had YouTube channels where they explained and demonstrated the science of tarantulas, the impact of the pet trade on natural populations, and maybe a VLOG on what they are up to from time to time. I've watched a few videos of some of the YouTubers mentioned in this thread and I don't see anything really worth talking about.

I guess the only pro would be seeing that tarantulas are far more adaptable to a variety of captive situations than what most give them credit for. One would have to watch between the lines, so to speak, to get that though. Most would rather criticize and put others down though so I would imagine that is lost on some people. I haven't come across a YouTuber that presented anything new or particularly interesting regarding tarantula husbandry. Watching the videos of some of these popular YouTubers is like watching the information posted here on this site. Some of it is good, some of it is cring worthy.

To me though, it is all pretty much makes me cringe. Especially the hyperbole surrounding the demeanor of some tarantula species such as our friend the Orange Bob (Pterinochilus murinus Usumbara orange variant). Maybe I take tarantulas too seriously at times, but it is so frustrating to see a video using words like "evil", "nasty", "bad attitude", and so on just to see the Orange Bob run across a table when being rehoused.

The only YouTube videos I watch are the ones of tarantulas in the wild. Those YouTubers are actually doing something by contributing new information on the natural history of tarantulas and have my respect. I just wish some of them would cut it out with the Hollywood film making techniques though. Stop with the long winded narrations, b-roll, arial drone footage, fancy graphics/ green screen, and editing is what I say. Just give me the 3 minute version of a tarantula hiding in a hole in the ground or resting in a tree.
Yeah, they have fans. I appreciate your view on this but for a lot of people it’s like being part of an online community, as well as entertainment videos. Like I said in my first post, it’s just a bit of entertainment for me. I don’t watch every video posted by every YouTuber, but there are channels I watch as it’s a fun way to kill ten minutes. Arachnologist videos would be incredible.
I can understand your dislike of the video titles too, but sadly that seems to be how it works on YouTube, tabloid style headlines to grab attention.
I like the wild videos too, but I don’t mind the filming techniques. I’m sure I’ve heard that YouTube demonetise videos under 10 minutes in length, so that would explain why you don’t get your 3 minute video preference.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Yeah, they have fans. I appreciate your view on this but for a lot of people it’s like being part of an online community, as well as entertainment videos. Like I said in my first post, it’s just a bit of entertainment for me. I don’t watch every video posted by every YouTuber, but there are channels I watch as it’s a fun way to kill ten minutes. Arachnologist videos would be incredible.
I can understand your dislike of the video titles too, but sadly that seems to be how it works on YouTube, tabloid style headlines to grab attention.
I like the wild videos too, but I don’t mind the filming techniques. I’m sure I’ve heard that YouTube demonetise videos under 10 minutes in length, so that would explain why you don’t get your 3 minute video preference.
YouTube doesn't demonetise videos under 10 mins.

StampFan

Arachnodemon

There are some good YouTube channels out there. Check out @birdspidersCH . You will not be disappointed if you're looking for a little more science.