Pronunciation of Heterometrus petersii?

MES

Arachnosquire
Hi guys!
This may be a difficult question to answer in type, haha, but do you know how to pronounce Heterometrus petersii? I don't want to sound clueless when I talk to anyone super knowledgeable about scorpions! :rofl:

Jurdon

Arachnoknight
I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Have you HEARD the way some people pronounce Scolopendra galapagoensis?? Most people will get it if you fumble a little.

I tend to pronounce it “Hetero” (as in heterozygous, heterosexual etc) “met” (past tense of meet) “riss” (as opposed too heterometroos) as for the petersii part, it’s either “Peters-E” or “Peter’s Eye”, take your pick.

MES

Arachnosquire
I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Have you HEARD the way some people pronounce Scolopendra galapagoensis?? Most people will get it if you fumble a little.

I tend to pronounce it “Hetero” (as in heterozygous, heterosexual etc) “met” (past tense of meet) “riss” (as opposed too heterometroos) as for the petersii part, it’s either “Peters-E” or “Peter’s Eye”, take your pick.
Haha, Latin names are hard! Thanks so much for the info!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hetero met russ peter's eye

It's a definite tomato/tomahto kind of thing with most scientific names. Unless you're a taxonomist I don't think it's a big deal (I know some taxonomists that get pretty cranky with incorrect pronunciations).