problems...need help

mdfic

Arachnopeon
alright so i decided to try mealworms with my rosie and my avic. my avic ate one right away so i gave her another. this one got away and burrowed into the substrate and now i cant find it. the one i gave to my rosie did the same thing. i cant seem to see the mealworms is this a problem. i dont want to dig up the entire enclosure if i dont have to. please help.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It should pupate and reamerge as a beetle. I lose alot of them that way, and the T's enjoy the beetles.

If your worried about a molt.

Stick a carrot slice on the opposite side of your T where it webs up. That should draw the beetle if it emerges.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Assuming you mean mealworm and not the zoophoba super "meal" worms, I wouldn't worry. It will either die or pupate as Nixy says. Some Ts even learn to dig them out themselves.

Zoophobas, otoh, are a bit more carnivorous so if you suspect your T might be near a moult I'd consider getting it out of there.

For either mealworms or zoophobas a trick to use is to put the mealworms in some sort of deep dish the worms can't get out of. The Ts will happily dig in like a kid to a bowl of cereal.

mdfic

Arachnopeon
thanks ya'll. code monkey... you always got the good advice. and they are mealworms not the superworms. those things are slightly creepy in my oppinion. but then again i do like the feeling of a large arthropod crawling up my arm...

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pinching the heads off will take care of the problem.

Jon