Problem with b.albiceps

Tircom

Arachnopeon
Hey, I'm a new T owner having gotten a B.Hamorii, B.Albopilosum and a B.Albiceps.
The Hamorii and Albopilosum are doing fine having eaten roaches and mealworms since I got them around 3-2 weeks ago and using the premade hides I placed, they have also slightly webbed the ground surrounding said hides.
But the Albiceps keeps refusing food and never using her hide, I think she is drinking tho since the water level isn't full like I left it.
Could it just be premolt?
Probably unrelated but she was the only one that kicked hair while housing them, don't know if she would do it again since I avoid bothering them except for feeding and water but so far she didn't kick any more hair. P_20190209_015254_vHDR_Auto.jpg P_20190209_015301_vHDR_Auto.jpg P_20190209_015320_vHDR_Auto.jpg 15496778191428586248610913860803.jpg 15496778493787379631168122002597.jpg
Thanks for the help, I know I'm probably just being paranoid.

cold blood

Staff member
Fat ts do not need to be fed....that albiceps qualifies...If it doesn't eat till next Christmas is a non-issue. Don't even worry about it.

Nice looking ts.

StormyMyth729

Arachnosquire
I have to admit I'm kind of jealous you found a b. albiceps that's so big! I just ordered two 3/4" slings that will be here this Wednesday. I've got a long wait lol...Beautiful species! <3
From what I've been told..they're kind of a pain in the butt about food, so don't be too worried.

cold blood

Staff member
I have to admit I'm kind of jealous you found a b. albiceps that's so big! I just ordered two 3/4" slings that will be here this Wednesday. I've got a long wait lol...Beautiful species! <3
From what I've been told..they're kind of a pain in the butt about food, so don't be too worried.
Slings are poor eaters and slow growers....juvies and adults are very good eaters though...hence the big rump.

Tircom

Arachnopeon
So i shouldnt worry about her not using her hide either?
Thanks for all the help, it's weird being a new T owner o_O

cold blood

Staff member
It is the same with hamorii slings. Mine will rarely take food and go a long time inbetween moults.
hamorri grow fast compared to an albiceps....their growth rates aren't even close IME.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They are not heavy eaters by any means! They are no Phormictopus or A geniculata! As long as a tarantula is fat its nothing to worry about!
"No worries mate!" As they say in Australia!:angelic: My G rosea went over a year without eating, and she wasnt even fat to begin with! About using hides. In terrarium some burrowing speicies wont. G rosea for ex digs deep burrows in the wild, but the ones i have had never does, even with deep substrate! My B harmorii female didnt eigher! Captivity and nature are 2 totally diffrent beasts!

Tircom

Arachnopeon
Today while i was recording my albopilosum cleaning itself i looked to the side and saw the albiceps with a superworm I had lost trying to feed her around a week ago .
She might be fat but I think she is just shy aswell.
My worries with the hide/burrow was that it is cork bark I got localy and boiled instead of an artificial one like my other T's have so I was wondering if that was why she isn't using it .
Anyways as long as she keeps drinking I might just leave dubias for longer than 1 night when I feed them since she caught this superworm.
Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Anyways as long as she keeps drinking I might just leave dubias for longer than 1 night when I feed them since she caught this superworm.
Seriously, stop feeding her! She doesn't need anything until she moults. She won't starve. A T like this can go a year or more without food. My B. hamorii once was as chubby as yours. I stopped feeding her in January, and she was still chubby when she finally moulted in June. ;)
Ts don't get problems with obesity like mammals, but there can be mechanical injuries resulting from it, like abrasions to her abdomen or a higher risk of a ruptured abdomen in case of a fall.